WW1 German UB 1 type U-boat 1/144

Here we have Mikromir's lovely 1/144 German World War 1 Coastal U-boat type UB-1, UB-10 depicted.

WIP 

Brush painted with humbrol enamels, brass rod added for ariel's and handrail, with flood holes opened out.

zb0VO5Q.jpg

3jQjIKm.jpg

vhh7zSe.jpg

A2HezPw.jpg7UnhCRv.jpg

O38NcC4.jpg

ZJ0RF9F.jpg

4UbwXaf.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 19

23 hours ago, AndyPG said:

Aren't they cute.

Good idea with the brass style stand.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, the stand actually comes with the kit, i just painted it brass for effect.

All the best Chris

• 3 weeks later...

When my mum was Receiver of Wreck, one of the last things she did before she retired was to protect one of these. It’s somewhere near the Isle of Wight. A diver was heard boasting about all the brass he’d taken off it, and saying about how ‘you have to move the bones if you’re going to get at the nice stuff’. Now all the brass is in a museum, he lost all his equipment, it’s designated a War Grave and you can’t dive within a mile of it...

• Like 1

Oh wow! Thank you. I’ve always wondered which it was. The German government have a project which has no end point-  Mum told me once that a German official said to her that if it took a thousand years, then so be it. It is to find the location of every missing U Boat and photograph it if possible so that the families can have closure about what happened to their relatives. Anyone who locates a lost boat is officially recognised and thanked. 

• Like 1

Mum was very tough on what she called ‘magpie divers’ or ‘hammer and chisel divers’, and mercilessly cracked down on those who took stuff from wrecks without disclosing it. At least one diving mag called her a bad name in print.

• Like 1

UB_4_maybe_AlarmTauchen_p92.jpg   

Found this pic when looking for images of railings around conning tower, which since seeing this I've decided not to put them on mine.  Those guys didn't have much to hang onto, but they all seem pretty relaxed ....

BillyD

• Like 1