Minicraft 1/48 Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

This is a kit I built quite a while ago, but just got around to photographing. From what I remember it was a very nice kit, but the nose and cowlings required some putty. The cowlings in particular were quite fiddly. It's OOB, with the exception of the antenna masts and antenna wires.

Skyrocket-1

Skyrocket-2

Skyrocket-4

Skyrocket-11

• Like 32

1 minute ago, Unfinished project said:

That looks like a powerful machine. It looks like it could have been in the original series of Thunderbirds. 

I think it was featured in some comic book series back in the '30s.

• Like 1

Sweet....!!!!!!! One of best looking planes of that era....I really like the clean finish of your model, congrats....

By the way, the comic name was "Blackhawks"....

f5f_cmc.jpg

Found online:

blackhawk_f5f-1.jpg

Edited by Artie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Artie said:

Sweet....!!!!!!! One of best looking planes of that era....

By the way, the comic name was "Blackhawks"....

f5f_cmc.jpg

"Ice Station Alpha"?! Hmmm, was the creator of Ice Station Zebra a Blackhawks fan?

Great model of a unique subject. I think i just read somewhere that Steven Spielberg is doing a film based on the old comic book using these types of aircraft. http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/17/steven-spielberg-blackhawk/ 

hello @Artie you might like this as well. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great model of a unique subject. I think i just read somewhere that Steven Spielberg is doing a film based on the old comic book using these types of aircraft. http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/17/steven-spielberg-blackhawk/ 

hello @Artie you might like this as well. 

Interesting! I'm guessing it will be live action with CGI? I'm not much of a comic book movie fan, but for a subject like this I could change my mind.

• Like 1

Very nice.

Being unfamiliar with the name and designation, I was expecting something experimental with a rocket or jet engine ;)

Looks like an early piston engined ancestor to the A10. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John_W said:

Very nice.

Being unfamiliar with the name and designation, I was expecting something experimental with a rocket or jet engine ;)

Looks like an early piston engined ancestor to the A10. 

Thank you!

I believe it was intended to be a very fast climbing fleet defense fighter.

• Like 1

A bit of googling was very educational. Apparently it could outperform many types in service at the time and lived up to its name performance wise but was let down by maintenance issues and the USN opted for the Wildcat instead. Led to the design of the  F7 Tigercat.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John_W said:

A bit of googling was very educational. Apparently it could outperform many types in service at the time and lived up to its name performance wise but was let down by maintenance issues and the USN opted for the Wildcat instead. Led to the design of the  F7 Tigercat.

Thanks for the additional information!

Ah yes, the F7F, another favorite. For some reason I'm fascinated with twin engine fighters.

• Like 1

Haven't seen one of those for years; good work. I had the same with the engine to wing join but a bit of filler sorted that. I ended up repainting it as an all over gloss sea blue 'whiffer' with a stinger arrestor and radar pod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build and boy does the Blackhawks connection ever take me back as I used to buy that comic in the early 50s. 

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Very nice build and boy does the Blackhawks connection ever take me back as I used to buy that comic in the early 50s. 

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Did the Blackhawks transition over to the Lockheed XF-90, or am I thinking of another comic?

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not familiar with the XF-90, but apparently they did according to this: http://www.aviation-history.com/lockheed/xf90_article.html

Not an unattractive airplane, however.

Cheers

Dennis 

Yes, a failure of an airplane, but it still looks futuristic even today.

Yes!  That looks great.  So clean.  I really like seeing subjects like this that are off the beaten path.  It makes me think of a dog coming into the house with a wing in its mouth.  😁.

Regarding the XF-90:  a very advanced looking aircraft for the early jet age.   It first flew in 1949.  Its failure was probably due more to the inadequacy of the available engine technology at that early date in jet development.  It was seriously underpowered.  With perhaps another 4,000 pounds of thrust it could have been a useful airplane.  This is mine, 1/48 Collect-Aire resin kit.  

IMG_1211.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you ask a five years old kid to draw a jet airplane, a XF-90 is just what he draws...I think those are the clean, fast, agressive basic lines we've got in the deepest part of our brain, when whe think "JET"....

Excellent model, by the way....I've got an old vacuform kit at home, and never found the guts to start it....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niles said:

Regarding the XF-90:  a very advanced looking aircraft for the early jet age.   It first flew in 1949.  Its failure was probably due more to the inadequacy of the available engine technology at that early date in jet development.  It was seriously underpowered.  With perhaps another 4,000 pounds of thrust it could have been a useful airplane.  This is mine, 1/48 Collect-Aire resin kit.  

Suhweeet! Superb XF-90!

I have the old Wings48 vacuform kit in the stash. I think it was pulled from the mold too soon--parts of it are distorted, so it's going to take quite a bit of scratch built internal structure to force the parts into their proper contours.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:09 PM, Amo Aero said:

I have the old Wings48 vacuform kit in the stash. I think it was pulled from the mold too soon--parts of it are distorted, so it's going to take quite a bit of scratch built internal structure to force the parts into their proper contours.

That will take quite a bit of work to rescue.  I wonder if the patterns were cast from the old Aurora or Hawk kit from the early 50s.  I was very lucky to get mine on ebay.  The Collect-Aire kit was a rarity and usually topping out at auction on ebay at about $175.  Then one day I looked and saw one on ebay being sold as a "buy it now" item for $99 rather than at auction and with free shipping as well.  It took me about a second to have my mouse on the buy button.

2 hours ago, Niles said:

I have the old Wings48 vacuform kit

That's the I've got, but mine is in good shape....Maybe an Academy T33 would be  a suitable donor for some parts....