Air Vice Marshall Broadhurst's Spitfire VIII

As my Tomahawks, Spitfire IX and Blenheim are progressing, I've decided to start another kit and, as I have a fair few Eduard Spitfires in the stash...

I'll be using this boxing:

20180618_190218

I quite like this option:

20180618_190301

but I have this sheet:

20180618_190244

which has some in the High Altitude Scheme. As the Eduard Spitfire has a LOT of parts, painting choices are some way away.

Anyway, I've made a start by painting the interior with a mixture of Colourcoats Interior Grey Green and Tamiya Aluminium.

20180618_185603

20180618_185447

I've given them a dry-brush with a light grey, once it's dry I'll give them a black wash.

Also did the seat, using Colourcoats RN Anti-fouling Red for the seat (which I'll give a dark red-brown wash)

20180618_185643

before using these seatbelts,

20180618_185536

(a gift from the ever generous @CedB)

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 7

Good morning Simon

Nice start , I understand you have several Eduard Spits in your stash so why don't you build another one ? no need to choose between the 2 schemes ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2018 at 7:39 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Simon

Nice start , I understand you have several Eduard Spits in your stash so why don't you build another one ? no need to choose between the 2 schemes ...

Best regards

Patrice

I might build another in this Group Build but I have some other types planned before then.

Anyway, this is where it is now:

2018-06-25_07-56-16

Progress should pick up once the fuselage is put together.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 4

Nearly missed this one... great work on the cockpit Simon and I'm pleased the belts are getting used - they look great :) 

• Thanks 1

Looking good,...... both the 32 Sqn High Altitude Fighter Scheme and 92 Sqn Desert Schemes options are nice,...... but,...... Xtradecal have for the insignia wrong for the badge inside the white triangle,...... it should be a stylised Eagle and 8th Army badge which was the insignia for the `Desert Ar Force,...... but the decal shows a 92 Sqn Cobra,..... which is wrong for this era on the Spitfires! The white fin tip was probably a shadow in real life too!

Here is a pic showing the correct insignia on a 92 Sqn Spit;

1284_538

DK Decals have a Spitfire sheet which provides the correct insignia among its many options.

72056spit_MTO_aces1

All the bet mate

Tony 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony.

I was planning on doing the 32 squadron one because I'm a bit bored of the Desert scheme but, out of habit, reached for the Azure Blue when painting the wheelwells so I'll be using the kit transfers.

As there are still four or five MkVIIIs in the stash I might invest in the DK Decals sheet (or I might not do the 92 squadron one... that's the cheaper option).

• Like 2

Another point about these early Mk.VIIIs is that they probably had the wide cannon bulge.  I don't have a serial for the change-over to the narrow one, but JF serials are pretty early in the run.

That's a good point about the marking in the triangle but I don't fancy buying a sheet with 36 markings on it and not one of them 607 Sq, just to get that.  I already have the Xtradecal sheet (which does have a 607 option).

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Another point about these early Mk.VIIIs is that they probably had the wide cannon bulge.  I don't have a serial for the change-over to the narrow one, but JF serials are pretty early in the run. 

I'd read that elsewhere (in fact, I think you wrote it) but am going to interpret 'probably had the wide cannon bulges' as 'it may have had have the narrow cannon bulges'.

I've just found (most) of your GB threads Simon, I can't keep up!

I think that this is the first Eduard VIII I've seen with the extended wing tips - very cool.

Regarding the wide cannon bulges, the Eduard kit doesn't really make for an easy way to do that does it? Their Mk VIII wing doesn't include the wide fairing option, you'd have to file it off and use a spare AZ one or something.

Excellent work on this and the other Spitfires, Tomahawks, Martlets etc, etc!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've just found (most) of your GB threads Simon, I can't keep up!

I think that this is the first Eduard VIII I've seen with the extended wing tips - very cool.

Regarding the wide cannon bulges, the Eduard kit doesn't really make for an easy way to do that does it? Their Mk VIII wing doesn't include the wide fairing option, you'd have to file it off and use a spare AZ one or something.

Excellent work on this and the other Spitfires, Tomahawks, Martlets etc, etc!

Thanks Cookie. 

The Eduard Spitfire is a thing of beauty but is over complicated in some places (e.g. the seat and radiator fairings) and over-simplified in others (e.g. the cannon bulges being part of the upper wing). I'm going to ignore the bulges, unless some-one comes up with a photograph at which point I'll remove them with a chisel and use AZ bulges.

• Like 1

First coat of Humbrol Dark Earth on:

2018-07-10_09-38-21

Thanks for looking.

(Edit: Flickr, or Invasion, is  playing-up so you'll have to click on the link to see the Spitfire in all its glory.)

Edited by Beard
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it looks nice, keep going.  You may dissolved paint a little and do more than one coat, it will help a lot. Check link bellow, 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looking very good Simon, although I'll never get used to the pointy wings :) 

Thanks Ced.

Not only are the pointy wingtips not aesthetically pleasing but Jeffrey Quill didn't like them - they affected the aileron rate of roll - and the MkVIII was his favourite version.

• Like 1