Douglas DC 7C

rob Lyttle

Hi, airline people.

I'm kind of drifting into classic airliner territory, and loving it.

I'm reaching the end of my little Viscount build, and I've started rummaging my other acquisition...

IMG_201806169_124413

It's dated 2005, but it really feels like an ancient mould that's been revisited.

Some big issues with fit and details are obvious already.

But I quite fancy giving it a go!

I can't find any build threads or even a walk around, (there's a DC 6 though..)

Is this because nobody will touch it with a barge pole?

Or am I not looking in the right place?

Google seems to just throw up pictures of models, ready-mades, and box-art.

Any information on dealing with a shonky, quirky kit, WIPs, Pan American Seven Seas liners etc., all welcome!

• Like 2

According to Scalemates the kit dates from 1955. There might be more detailed information on findmodelkit.com but I find that site so annoying I've stopped using it.

I suspect that the odd scale puts people off.  The old Revell kits were generally pretty decent - the DC-8s, Boeing 727 and Boeing 707 all scrub up quite nicely if they're well treated.  

If you're looking for a good kit of a classic propliner the Minicraft DC-4 is hard to beat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Any information on dealing with a shonky, quirky kit, WIPs, Pan American Seven Seas liners etc., all welcome!

Maybe this will help? I built the Swissair boxing back when I was eleven- pretty easy build  except for brush painting all those prop deicer boots and tips! Came with a neat self-propelled boarding stair, IIRC

Mike

http://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=153

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I flew on a BOAC DC-7C  (Seven Seas) G-AOIE back in 1958 from the A4 London Airport's North Terminal to...…………………………… Yeah...Ringway (Manchester) . Got my first Airline postcard (now have over 5000 ) a honk bag ,some route maps and sugar bags. I was nearly 4 but I  remember it . Came back by Britannia 'OVE . Look forward to seeing his evolve. This and the Lockheed L1649 Starliner were the last word in Piston Props BTW The PAA DC-7Cs all had the Pan-American Blue Globe on the fin then . Always brings back some great memories.

8 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

this kit

That nose isn't sharp enough, too DC-4/ Argonaut shaped . Still a great job, thanks for showing . These 'planes and era are what kicked me off ….and the English Electric P1 .

@noelh, @Skodadriver, @72modeler, @modelldoc, @bzn20, thanks for the feedback!

I don't think I'm going to dash straight on to this one. I have a couple of builds pending, pushed aside when I got hooked by the little S&M Viscount.

Here's the wee rascal.

IMG_20180616_231809

I'm thinking it's better to get some research in BEFORE I start bashing plastic!

That's the words of someone gradually learning.....😃

Speaking of that Era, bzn20, I was parked next to this today...

IMG_20180618_105524

I know it doesn't really evoke London or Manchester, but WOW!

And yes, I can see where "Revell Inc. Venice Cali Copr 1955" has been machined off the mould inside the port fuselage side.

And I got a staircase+ pilot!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

London or Manchester

Might be.. I had the Matchbox Cadillac Fleetwood just like this one. That's outstanding.

I came across this while I was looking for something else on the IPMS Deutschland site.  It might be some help.  Even if you don't read German the photos are useful and the builder gets a pretty decent result.  He doesn't mention the fuselage being too short but he does say " I am not THE aviation expert and certainly not THE absolute perfectionist but at the very least the nose and the cockpit glass must be altered".

Hahen  of Germany  do a resin nose and 4 resin engines which greatly enhance this kit. This kit is based on the DC-7B 

• Thanks 1

The DC-7C also had an extra 10 ft of wingspan, inserted in the centre section as a constant chord piece. It provided space for extra fuel and had the side benefit of moving those large, vibrating, noise generating lumps on the wings away from the passengers.

• Like 1

Okay guys, thanks so much for your feedback.

I can see there's some serious issues with the old kit.

It's never going to be a museum grade representation of a 7C, for sure.

I think I'll just enjoy building it for what it is- and not worry about trying to make a silk purse!

Although... maybe just a...,😂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

The DC-7C also had an extra 10 ft of wingspan, inserted in the centre section as a constant chord piece. It provided space for extra fuel and had the side benefit of moving those large, vibrating, noise generating lumps on the wings away from the passengers.

See here:

DC-4 to -7C empennage diffs

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Okay guys, thanks so much for your feedback.

I can see there's some serious issues with the old kit.

It's never going to be a museum grade representation of a 7C, for sure.

I think I'll just enjoy building it for what it is- and not worry about trying to make a silk purse!

Although... maybe just a...,😂

If you want an accurate DC-7C in 1/144 scale, i recommend the F-RSIN kit.

40258026620_f4db2a6082_b.jpg&key=9bb5961

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

an accurate DC-7C in 1/144 scale, i recommend the F-RSIN kit.

I've never ventured into doing a resin kit, but THAT looks very enticing...! 

Great décor too.

Can't be that difficult, can it?!?

Yes @Skodadriver, good read-- exactly the kind of insight I've been looking for, and thanks for the link!

And for the reference drawings and specs @Space Ranger

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've never ventured into doing a resin kit, but THAT looks very enticing...! 

Great décor too.

Can't be that difficult, can it?!?

Yes @Skodadriver, good read-- exactly the kind of insight I've been looking for, and thanks for the link!

And for the reference drawings and specs @Space Ranger

The F-RSIN DC-7C is actually plastic. Laurent originally started with resin but for several years most of his kits have been in short-run injection moulded plastic. F-RSIN plastic kits are capable of excellent results but they are really just raw material and you have to put in the work. Anybody who expects an easy job is going to be badly disappointed but if you approach them in the right spirit they’re good fun and even I can produce a reasonable model.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

F-RSIN plastic kits are capable of excellent results but they are really just raw material and you have to put in the work. 

Are they more blank and plain than the S&M Viscount, for example?

That's what I'm just finishing.

9 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I can only speak to F-RSIN's DC-7C, but it has engraved panel lines, including several different door positions to enable the kit to represent different airline requirements.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:29 PM, rob Lyttle said:

No.  They have engraved panel lines but F-RSIN is very much a "cottage industry" operation and the nature of the moulding process means these can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are good, other times they are awful. I recently finished their Viscount 700 and the scribing on the fuselage was so poor I ended up filling it in.  Strangely their Viscount 800 is much better.  Here's how the 700 turned out and you can see the panel lines on the wings which are actually pretty good:

41118508400_b5b4e63be1_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Okay all. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Looking through it, it seems like if I want to do a makeover on this, I need to act on 3 areas.

Fuselage extension.

Wing extension.

Tail fin extension

IMG_20180623_143355

Just less than 3/4 " in each wing where I've drawn.

8mm in the front fuselage.... But where? Just behind the 3rd window? Have they put a 3rd window into the mould without extending the fuselage?

IMG_20180623_143411

And the fin gets an extra couple of mm, rescribed and an extra hinge.

IMG_20180623_143426

Horizontal tails look ok, and the nacelles look right for the 7C in the drawings.

Oh yeah, and the nose mod.

I'm thinking seriously about piling into this for the experience, even if the results aren't brilliant.

Would that lot put me on the right track for a 7C, or am I misreading the refs?

Feedback and comments welcome!

I also like deployed flaps. Any good reference shots on the flap structure/ action?

• Like 1