Percival Proctor IV

Hello all!

I am continuing with my theme of building old model kits. This time it is the Novo (ex-Frog) Percival Proctor IV. I have built it out-of-the-bag, with the probably understandable exception of the transfers...I was going to save it for the potential Frog Group Build, but I was a bit impatient!

I added seatbelts from tape, a piston in the engine louvre and drilled out one intake as the sum of improvements. The colour scheme is entirely fanciful, but if anyone says the serial is for a Shorts Tucano I will say 'You are right!' All the transfers came from the surplus left over from a Tucano, and I thought the blue cheat lines showed off the Proctor rather nicely.

The paintwork is brush-painted, Revel 90 Acrylic Silver in the main, but the engine cowling is Mr Metalizer again brush 'painted' (i.e. read scrubbed on with an ancient brush then buffed with a cotton bud) and it gives a nice bit of contrast.

I was very surprised at the fit of the components, I needed to use filler only on the wing-roots and the upper forward cabin roof. The transparencies could have been better, or I could have used the Falcon Vac-form set. I think I could also have dealt with some sink marks a bit better. The aerial wire was EZ-Line.

41976953665_b345a191b5_c.jpg

41976960525_d80c0d43f6_c.jpg

41976967635_8496e3fde2_c.jpg

41067156850_d39a43fb63_c.jpg

41067162970_1834b9a242_c.jpg

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 49

Hi Ray, nicely built and finished model.  I too have built one of these and as you say it goes together surprisingly well.  I did mine in camouflage colours but I think the silver is a much more attractive scheme - surely there must have been some in silver..

• Like 1

Hi

This looks very nice indeed. What a great looking Proctor.   I have recently built one of these and thought it was a lovely kit and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Great work and thanks for sharing. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Blimey Ray, that is a funny looking ship ...............

It is no good trying to resist the lure of building the golden oldies from our youth, you will be breaking out in oversize rivets next.

Seriously for a moment, that is a lovely rendition of the old FROG/NOVO Proctor in a very convincing and attractive scheme

I don't take real aircraft serial numbers seriously anymore, it just depends on what I can find in my spare decals of the correct size and style. One fellow Britmodeller let me know that my Airfix Beagle Basset serial number actually belonged to a Saro Skeeter or something, anyway I got him back when he posted a Hunter or something by telling him that his serial number was the car registration of my dad's Morris Minor.

For ColinChipmunkfan here is a photo of some silver RAF Proctors ...................

af1a6739-d7ab-4a33-b627-ab9341f21682.jpg

I remember the first time I saw a FROG Proctor was in the window of our Post Office in Alderton about 1968, the Post Office you remember too Ray, where our fascination for FROG kits was born ....................

bc33a466-1a80-43ec-b92b-424bca000456.jpg

The Black Series FROG boxing that I remember from all those years ago, I wonder which part of a wireless operator's training sylabus this is, maybe to find out if he is prone to airsickness......................

I Googled Percival Proctor and I am sorry to say that your Proctor has a few accuracy issues Ray as this is what I found .......................

946266d4-a59d-48d4-b5ba-b32a737cb018.jpg

hee, hee

I cannot wait to see your next ship model

cheers old friend,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great model.

I well remember Frog kits from my youth (and I built more than a few too) but I see them only rarely these days - at club/swap/completion events.

For something that dates back aways, it sure has turned out a lovely model!

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2018 at 18:42, adey m said:

Blimey Ray, that is a funny looking ship ...............

It is no good trying to resist the lure of building the golden oldies from our youth, you will be breaking out in oversize rivets next.

Seriously for a moment, that is a lovely rendition of the old FROG/NOVO Proctor in a very convincing and attractive scheme

I don't take real aircraft serial numbers seriously anymore, it just depends on what I can find in my spare decals of the correct size and style. One fellow Britmodeller let me know that my Airfix Beagle Basset serial number actually belonged to a Saro Skeeter or something, anyway I got him back when he posted a Hunter or something by telling him that his serial number was the car registration of my dad's Morris Minor.

For ColinChipmunkfan here is a photo of some silver RAF Proctors ...................

af1a6739-d7ab-4a33-b627-ab9341f21682.jpg

I remember the first time I saw a FROG Proctor was in the window of our Post Office in Alderton about 1968, the Post Office you remember too Ray, where our fascination for FROG kits was born ....................

bc33a466-1a80-43ec-b92b-424bca000456.jpg

The Black Series FROG boxing that I remember from all those years ago, I wonder which part of a wireless operator's training sylabus this is, maybe to find out if he is prone to airsickness......................

I Googled Percival Proctor and I am sorry to say that your Proctor has a few accuracy issues Ray as this is what I found .......................

946266d4-a59d-48d4-b5ba-b32a737cb018.jpg

hee, hee

I cannot wait to see your next ship model

cheers old friend,  adey

That was me Adey! I take serials very seriously! I think mostly because I used to be a spotter, and religiously underline all the numbers of aircraft I'd seen in Peter R. march's 'Military Aircraft Markings' book. I gave that up years ago, but I still have to use the correct serial. I won't even build one as an aircraft that was lost in an accident - I'll change the serial decals.

Each to our own, the beauty of modelling. I draw the line at building a Morris Minor, however! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Well that came up a treat, well done, something quite small for you though isn't it Ray 🙄

Graeme, true, but I do have my moments when this is rather large compared to what I normally do!

Thanks for the comments,

Ray