F-105D Thunderchief 59-1749 "Mr Toad/Marilee E" 1/72

Hi all,

I reckon I am at the stage with "D-10" that I can start to think about the next Thud. This time - as I've mentioned before - she will be 59-1749, operated by the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron/388th Tactical Fighter Wing and flying from Takhli RTAFB during the Vietnam War era. Sadly she was lost on 23rd September 1967 but like all the Thuds she will have played a pivotal part in the air campaign. For those who didn't know, the Thuds were the heavy loaders in the conflict and only accrued such high attrition because of the demands of them.  Like most Vietnam Thuds, '749 was operated with side names, and carried "Mr Toad" (starboard side) and "Marilee E" (Port side). Her she is:

MrToad1

As you can see, she operated in the reverse camouflage scheme, which is what attracted me to her. She was also the only one of these reversed machines that a green nose of both sides, so not a true reversal. I like the look of this, particularly from the starboard side. As with "D-10" she will need some mild butchery to get her correct. This will mean changing the spine mainly, although I have yet to ascertain whether I need to remove the strengthening plates on the fuselage and wings. I hope not! She will be loaded with wing tanks, a centreline MER (as in the photo above) and additional appropriate extras under the tips of each wing, courtesy of Hasegawa's excellent weapons sets. She will again be based on the Trumpeter kit, so will need the rivets filled! :(

What I do still need is a good image of the Toad so that I can re-draw it and produce a decal. Any help would be gratefully received!

My reference material, aside from the net, has grown while building "D-10". It is now: 

Toad2

You can see that I include the excellent Schiffer book (top left/centre) which no fan of the Thud should be without. :)

Well, I'll be getting underway soon but I will only post occasionally to save the boring repetition! Of course, if you'd prefer I didn't at all just tell me :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 7

Martin,

Does this shed some light on the subject? From the written sources I found, there was conflicting information- some stating that the strengthening plates were a postwar mod, and some others stated that it was done in 1972-73. I'm trying to find definite confirmation one way or the other, but in the meantime maybe one of our resident BM experts can be more helpful? (Where are Giorgio and Sabrejet when you need them?)

Mike

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/3/b/e/fsm-th0406.pdf

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, I'll be getting underway soon but I will only post occasionally to save the boring repetition! Of course, if you'd prefer I didn't at all just tell me :)

Boring repetition ............. modelling a Thud?

You must be kidding!

Terry

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin,

Does this shed some light on the subject? From the written sources I found, there was conflicting information- some stating that the strengthening plates were a postwar mod, and some others stated that it was done in 1972-73. I'm trying to find definite confirmation one way or the other, but in the meantime maybe one of our resident BM experts can be more helpful? (Where are Giorgio and Sabrejet when you need them?)

Mike

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/3/b/e/fsm-th0406.pdf

Thanks Mike. Very helpful :)

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

This will mean changing the spine mainly, although I have yet to ascertain whether I need to remove the strengthening plates on the fuselage and wings.

Having trawled by library and many images of period machines she needs the plates removed. It seems she also needs the ventilation grille over the gun mounting filled as that was a later mod. Hey ho!

Martin

Good to have you along for the ride, Christer. As I said before, it will be an occasional posting only. I will certainly post more when I get the B-model underway, though ;).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hmmmm.. Who knows the truth? I've said above that she was destroyed on 23rd September 1967. This is reported as being flown at that time by Major D.S. Aunapu, and hit over Ban Katoi. However, in the "Vietnam to Western Airlines" book, Dennis Wills - her pilot for some of her career and her namer as "Mr Toad" - says she was lost in 1971 hen she took an 85mm round hit and lost undercarriage functionality. What is the truth? Does anyone out there know? He does confirm that at the time of the loss she was being flown by Maj. Aunapu, though.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 4 months later...

Hi Erwin @VT Red Sox Fan,

To be honest I'd forgotten that I'd started this thread, and I therefore apologise to all for not posting anything. mr Toad/Marilee E is nearing completion now and so it is probably pointless saying too much now. Today the undercarriage went on  as well as the wing tanks. The speed brakes had some weathering with Tamiya powders too. Tasks to now complete are: finishing the centreline MER including the decalling the M117s, building the speed brakes, cementing the remaining undercarriage doors, adding the outer pylons and final touching up, followed by an overall varnish coat.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Terry!

Yes, I hope so. Unfortunately I won't get anything done over the next couple of days as I have my 60th birthday family party. As you can see above, though, I am nearly there, after a couple of faux pas' on the way, including airbrushing interior green within the camo instead of SEA mid green ;(.  I got it remedied, though :). 

It it is in my mind to set up a new WIP for my next Thud (Trumper D to a B-model) but then I'll have to remember to post updates!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Warlover67. That may well be correct. I'd like to see something that confirms that. I wrote to Dennis Wills on his email but it is quite possible But I haven't heard back....... 

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

My info came in conversation, also these pics were sent to me in web search by our Col. Larson (Squadron Commander) -- check out Port side of aircraft with Mr. Toad lettering...

* using iMac w/Safari and pic will not post, anyone with suggesstions?

• 4 months later...

Hi @WarLover'67. I've moved on from this build now. Dennis Wills has no record of the art on this machine, sadly. In terms of the port side camouflage it is clear from the picture of Swede Larsson that she carried Mr Toad on both sides. She was completed a few months back ....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner