1/12 MFH Ferrari 512 BB Le Mans.

Hi all, i have been steadily working away at this for the last two weeks, i have to say the accuracy and detail of the kit is very impressive, not the easiest of projects but quite satisfying as it comes together. Most of the parts are white metal and nearly all need to be drilled in one way or another, there are some resin parts too, still a number of weeks to go until completion and a great deal more parts to prep and paint.

Basics of the Carb's done just some fine detailing to do.

file.php?mode=view&id=7082

Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminium, i was tempted to use Alclad but i could see no real benefit over the Tamiya spray

file.php?mode=view&id=7083

Timing belts and cogs, not really a fan of the tape supplied in the kit but they will be covered by the cases.

file.php?mode=view&id=7084

Cases on, seam on the oil filter will need to go before final painting.

file.php?mode=view&id=7085

Transmission in place, i will add a wash later on.

file.php?mode=view&id=7086

The car has for lift jack for tyre changes in servicing as the parts are white metal the rods can be polished up.

file.php?mode=view&id=7087

Another two to do.

file.php?mode=view&id=7088

Chassis assembly, along way to go yet.

file.php?mode=view&id=7089

Next wiring and piping the engine.

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 3

Adding the wiring and carb piping was the most difficult bit to date and it took a couple of days, very fiddly with my porky old fingers, another nasty old seam on the pipework that will have to go
file.php?mode=view&id=7090
file.php?mode=view&id=7091

file.php?mode=view&id=7092

Rear shocks painted up, damper rods polished up with auto-sol prior to painting and assembly.
file.php?mode=view&id=7093
Rear drive and breaks, i need to do a darker wash here.

file.php?mode=view&id=7094
Chassis ready for engine mounting.

file.php?mode=view&id=7095

• Like 5

Next up was fitting the engine to the chassis, this took a little while to get right as the mounts did not quite align, all the parts have dimple in them so you can not go wrong when drilling but as you can imagine with everything being cast white metal and resin you will get a build up of tolerance errors. I had to do a number of test fits to get right but eventually it snapped into place and could have the mounting screws fitted.

file.php?mode=view&id=7101

file.php?mode=view&id=7102

file.php?mode=view&id=7103

With that done i could mount the breaks and hubs, i just need to re set the the left carb funnel bracket as it cam loose during the engine test fitting, nothing a drop of glue will not cure.

file.php?mode=view&id=7104

I would be interested to know how the breaks work as there is no break piping supplied or shown in the instructions which for the detail of this kit is unusual, there is a solid break line that runs under the transmission and fits into a hole in the lower suspension strut as below but nothing that links that to the caliper. I did the usual google search and from the images i have seen there does not appear to be any link pipe, very curious?

file.php?mode=view&id=7105

file.php?mode=view&id=7106

file.php?mode=view&id=7107

Still an awful long way to go yet so i will see you all next week.

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 4

On two of the 1/12th. MFH kits I have built the flexible hydraulic brake hose between the chassis and the brake discs on the wheel hubs have been overlooked. I usually fit a suitable size item from this link:

https://www.hiroboy.com/Wires_Cables_Hoses_etc--category--151.html

Chris

• 2 weeks later...