Airfix 1/72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A

Hello

This is my second attempt at the new-tool Airfix Fw 190 - the previous attempt was consigned to the bin after just about everything went wrong. No problems this time, except for the nose spiral decal. I gave up trying to get it to bed down and so hand-painted it instead.

I used Mr Hobby paints on this occasion, which went down beautifully and gave a shiny enough surface for the decals so that no gloss coat was required. Weathering was carried out with pastels and pencils, and the whole thing sealed with W&N satin varnish.

nn2tFyEh.jpg

odZPuJ7h.jpg

sVgSoCWh.jpg

rr8jZamh.jpg

XN1Eq7nh.jpg

4qlg7sHh.jpg

n89Y3jGh.jpg

I look forward to any comments or criticisms.

Best wishes

Ian

• Like 47

5 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Hats off to you for nailing the spiral!

Thanks Pete. It's not something I want to repeat any time soon! 

• Haha 1

Wow, that is a superb build Ian, the superb photography shows off every fine detail and your weathering and staining is nicely subtle and true to scale I think.

regards, adey

• Like 1

First class.      Really like that..   I'm looking at an old Frog Ta152 1:72 no decal for  nose cone, and thinking I'll paint cone white, roll some blue tack around cone and then paint it black, take off blue tack and hopefully end up with a nice spiral...   This worked on a 1/32 109 I did, but 1/72 sure is fiddly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sideways Sid said:

At 1/72 the detail belies the scale. Very effective paint and weathering finish. Must be very satisfying end result for you.

Thanks Sid. Yes I was pleased to get this one done after the trials and tribs last time around.

2 hours ago, adey m said:

Wow, that is a superb build Ian, the superb photography shows off every fine detail and your weathering and staining is nicely subtle and true to scale I think.

regards, adey

Thank you Adey. That's the effect I'm going for. I find it easier to achieve with pastels rather than paint, although in this case I also picked out some panels with an oil wash, mainly on the undersides.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think your spinner spiral looks just fine when compared to some originals:

bf1091_12.jpg

Love those photos. The one above looks especially rough and ready!

53 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

First class.      Really like that..   I'm looking at an old Frog Ta152 1:72 no decal for  nose cone, and thinking I'll paint cone white, roll some blue tack around cone and then paint it black, take off blue tack and hopefully end up with a nice spiral...   This worked on a 1/32 109 I did, but 1/72 sure is fiddly.

Thank you. Yes, I thought about doing that. I also considered using some of that very narrow masking tape, but in the end just went for it. 🙂

1 hour ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Ian, sorry I did not read the heading telling me your Fw190 was 1/72.  When I looked at the quality and detail of it I thought it must be 1/48 at least- well done!

Thanks. That's very kind of you to say. As FalkeEins says it's not as refined a kit as Eduard's superb effort, but generally looks the part under a bit of paint!

8 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice work!

It's admirable that you went straight out and built another one after your first attempt went awry.

:goodjob:

Cheers. Well, there were a few others in between but I'm gradually working my way through all the new-tool Airfix WW2 aircraft kits - single engine and twins, at least. So I had to revisit this one eventually.

Mind you, the HobbyBoss P-61 is currently on the work bench!