Anyone built an F-14 in flight?

BenAngWJ

Hi all, 

I want to build a model of F-14 in flight but unfortunately, the 1/48 Academy model that I have sucks as the gear doors are too small and does not fit nicely on the wheel well. Are there any other F-14 where the gear door fits? Is the Tamiya version a good shot? 

Ben 

The recent Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat is widely regarded as the best in scale, but having not built it I can't guarantee that it can be built wheels up, but I can guarantee the fit will be flawless.

The venerable (and tricky) Hasegawa kit can be built with undercarriage doors closed, with a bit of modification.

Not seen the Hobbyboss. version to comment.

Is the issue with the Academy Tomcat fixable with plasticard or filler? 

13 hours ago, Troffa said:

The recent Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat is widely regarded as the best in scale, but having not built it I can't guarantee that it can be built wheels up, but I can guarantee the fit will be flawless.

The venerable (and tricky) Hasegawa kit can be built with undercarriage doors closed, with a bit of modification.

Not seen the Hobbyboss. version to comment.

Is the issue with the Academy Tomcat fixable with plasticard or filler? 

Hi there, 

For the Academy Tomcat, I have to scratch build my own gear doors and use plenty of filler. Because of the sanding down of the filler, I lost all the details on the under belly. So I'm looking for a better kit to restart.