Question about Beaufighter VIF flat tailplanes

Seawinder

I'm finally getting around to doing a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Vi and plan to do either EL154 or X8005 using decals from the Techmod sheet. Both have flat tailplanes, for which I've got the Red Roo resin set. My question is about the tab actuators underneath. There is a drawing from an Avieology decal sheet that was posted to this thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034192-beaufighter-mark-differences/&tab=comments#comment-2959466

It indicates that the control rod/lever for the port tailplane was at the outboard end of the outboard tab (identified as servo balance tab) while the one for the starboard tailplane was at the inboard end of the inboard tab (identified as trim tab), resulting in an asymmetrical arrangement. Can anyone confirm this, or am I misreading the drawing?

Thanks!

Pip

3 hours ago, Seawinder said:

I'm finally getting around to doing a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Vi and plan to do either EL154 or X8005 using decals from the Techmod sheet. Both have flat tailplanes, for which I've got the Red Roo resin set. My question is about the tab actuators underneath. There is a drawing from an Avieology decal sheet that was posted to this thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034192-beaufighter-mark-differences/&tab=comments#comment-2959466

It indicates that the control rod/lever for the port tailplane was at the outboard end of the outboard tab (identified as servo balance tab) while the one for the starboard tailplane was at the inboard end of the inboard tab (identified as trim tab), resulting in an asymmetrical arrangement. Can anyone confirm this, or am I misreading the drawing?

Thanks!

Pip

The outboard tabs were servo tabs- their function was to reduce the effort needed to move the elevators. When the control column was moved forward or aft to raise or lower the nose, the servo tab moved in the opposite direction of the elevators, which assisted in deflecting the elevators in the desired direction- the servo tab deflected upward to assist the elevators downward, and vice versa. The inboard tabs were trim tabs and moved in unison up or down to trim the Beaufighter nose up or down, as needed, when the trim wheel was rotated. The servo tab linkage, as described in the diagram that was posted as a link, was connected to the elevator bellcrank in such a way that the servo tabs were deflected in the opposite direction of the elevators, thus assisting them in moving. Think of it as a poor man's power assisted controls. Servo tabs were used on many aircraft, especially multi-engine ones, to lessen the effort needed by the flight crew to move the controls.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike. I was actually aware of the function of the two pairs of tabs; just wanted to confirm that there was only one control rod/lever for each pair, resulting in the control rods being asymmetrically located -- outboard for port, inboard for starboard.

4 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Thanks, Mike. I was actually aware of the function of the two pairs of tabs; just wanted to confirm that there was only one control rod/lever for each pair, resulting in the control rods being asymmetrically located -- outboard for port, inboard for starboard.

Oops- my mistake! I was just excited that I actually knew how they worked!

Mike

• Haha 1