Porsche 993 GT2 "Naked"

Hi all,

Thought I'd get something up as a first "look what I done" post. I built this 993 GT2 during March of this year whilst on leave. In all honesty I didn't care much for the Porsche marque but in making this model that changed, strange how making a kit can do that... The metallic panels look a bit metal-flake as I have projector LED room lights and the interior really is in red oxide primer! There was a pic on the net of a rejected chassis in this colour, it's a nice contrast if nothing else.

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so2_1280.jpg

Some in progress shots of the body. Tamiya liquid primer (the one in the glass bottle) smoothed down and masked for the bright steel colour. Blu/White-tac works really well for masking compound curves quickly:

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so3_1280.jpg

Bright steel panels masked for the dark steel colour. Turned out to be pointless as the primer cancelled out the different tones:

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so4_1280.jpg

Steel panels masked for fibreglass colour. Tamiya vinyl tape was used to match the contours, it doesn't stick very well though:

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so5_1280.jpg

Body masked for polyurethane colour. Strange that the 993 GT2 had plastic bumpers, mirrors and engine cover/tail, I thought they were carbon fibre:

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so6_1280.jpg

Masking the wheels. I stripped off the chrome and painted the center magnesium alloy and the hoop aluminium, carefully applied white-tac worked wonders here again:

tumblr_pah08e0Xt31xxqk0so7_1280.jpg

All the best.

• Like 6

Very nice! I have to admit I didn't 'get it' at first when looking at your finished pictures, but your in progress shots made it all clear! Neat idea, well executed!

Keith

PS :welcome: to the forums!

• Thanks 1

Looks very good, even though I must admit I can't see the difference between the bright and dark steel finishes. But the bumpers and arches show that you've done a good job with the masking.

I sort of know what you mean about the Tamiya tape not sticking too well, but that's something I personalyl like about it- it's very easy to move about until you get it right then a light rub with a cocktail stick will usually get it stuck down enough for the painting process.

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:09, Spiny said:

Looks very good, even though I must admit I can't see the difference between the bright and dark steel finishes. But the bumpers and arches show that you've done a good job with the masking.

I sort of know what you mean about the Tamiya tape not sticking too well, but that's something I personalyl like about it- it's very easy to move about until you get it right then a light rub with a cocktail stick will usually get it stuck down enough for the painting process.

Thanks for the tip with the tape. I can't tell the difference between the steel shades in daylight either! I'm sure it's down to the primer as it's the only kit I've ever primed before painting... 

All the best.