So I mixed up my Humbrol acrylics for the underside, using thinner and flow improver and low and behold it sprayed fine. I went back Monday for a second coat and the paint clogged my airbrush completely. After a lot of cleaning, I gave the build a second light coat, and yesterday a third.

IMG_20180627_072510

The aircraft is now blue😄

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

using thinner and flow improver and low and behold it sprayed fine.

Looking good Michelle. What do you use for flow improver?

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Michelle. What do you use for flow improver?

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry,

I use Winsor and Newton Acrylic flow improver, works well with Revell and Humbrol acrylics.

IMG_20180627_213029

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Now the blue is finished it was time to start the green areas. I carefully masked up the underside of the aircraft, then set to work. I am using Revell's Dark green (same paint I used for my Stuka), this I mixed 1:4 with Revell thinner and a few drops of flow improver, then I started painting.

IMG_20180627_215713

The paint sprayed nice and evenly, with no drama, and after one coat the aircraft is really coming to life.

• Like 12

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, jean said:

Geee!!!!

I did not know the Luftwaffe only used crew members who had to be amputees... of the right arm, no less?! Now all is becoming clear.

Nice uniform though.

Shellie, it would appear to me that you are starting, O so timidly at first, onto the slippery slope that leads to an over-saturated shelf of doom...

If I am not mistaken, you have a minimum of 3 kits on the go... Do not join the miserable cast of thousands who despair at clearing all those unfinished kits that pull faces at them whenever they look in their direction.

I know all about it! I am one of them!!!!

Anyway, you have been warned!!!!!!!!!! Now back to being nice: this is a great kit and I am sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Cheers

JR

Starting many kits ???

Don't know what you mean Jean…. :rofl2::rofl2:

Good job Michelle, may take a seat in the corner ??

I will be quiet, at least, I'll try to...

Keep carryin' on !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Starting many kits ???

Don't know what you mean Jean…. :rofl2::rofl2:

Good job Michelle, may take a seat in the corner ??

I will be quiet, at least, I'll try to...

Keep carryin' on !

Sincerely.

CC

Glad to have you on board CC!

Thanks,

Michelle

• Thanks 1

Another missed start (I must pay more attention) but this one's coming along beautifully. 

Good work with the crew Michelle AND getting them to fit - I think Airfix have them in the wrong positions in the instructions with two, er, chubby ones together, but you've obviously sorted that and squeezed them in. Just imagine the cockpit when the crew are firing their weapons!

Spraying Humbrol acrylics again? Impressive! :) 

• Thanks 1

Time for a little camo paint job, and boy did the Germans do it well! Ike the Stuka, the Dornier has the straight line, almost geometric scheme. So out with the Tamiya tape (I don't trust my cheap pound shop masking tape).

2018-07-01_09-25-30

A lot of sticking later she was in the spray booth, having a coat of Revell's Black Green. I enjoy spraying Revell, and now the camo is taking shape.

• Like 12

Progress update: I carefully removed the masking and was relieved to see all had gone well. Then it was time to paint the canopy, as there was so much to mask I decided early on I would paint it by hand, and I'm glad I did. Once this has dried I gave the build a coat of Quick Shine gloss varnish to seal in the Paint work.

IMG_20180702_174757

IMG_20180702_174806

Decals next!

• Like 16

This is looking great, the paintwork in particular. It also happens to be the latest addition to my stash, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

Ian

• Thanks 1

It looks like you have been putting your time to excellent use while I have been away Michelle.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

So I've not started the decals yet, instead I have airbrushed the props, hubs, and undercarriage.

IMG_20180704_074311

I she's going to look pretty striking with the small touches of red.

I thin

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 7

After the England game yesterday I settled down to begin applying the decals to the Dornier. Boy there were a lot, a whole separate instruction sheet for common parts and one for the specific aircraft. With my trusty micro sol,the decals went on with ease, and have given the build a little more presence.

IMG_20180708_084333

IMG_20180708_084343IMG_20180708_084354IMG_20180708_084403

Today they are ready to be sealed in, before I add the undercarriage to get her off her belly.

• Like 9

Lovely work, makes me keen to start mine.

One point though the ailerons (on the wing) operate in opposite fashion...if one is "up" t'other is down (only not so much) as they act to control direction rather than up or down. Theyre different to flaps which increase lift on take off and landing....

The elevators (on the horizontal tail) perform a different function and act together to change the angle of the aircraft up or down more or less.

True some aircraft had and have the double function of both aileron and flap but not generally in that period.

Hope this helps John H.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work, the colours look great ! One minor point, the door to the bomb bay is not all glass, only the window in the top half.

photo with the door open

Dornier-Do-17Z-newly-painted-01.jpg

Lovely work,

Garry c

• Thanks 1

Bit of a break in proceedings over the last few days, courtesy of RIAT 2018.

2018-07-15_12-13-23

I have however managed to build the undercarriage, so she is now resting on all 3 wheels rather that her belly.

IMG_20180715_094709

with the props in  place the remaining thing to do is mask the canopy and give the build a blast of Vallejo satin varnish (I have decided to leave this one clean and not weather it.).

• Like 4