My next build will be the first German bomber I have attempted, and looking inside the box I'm already eager to get started! I am building Airfix's 1:72 Dornier Do17z, the box contains detailed instructions and decal instruction sheet, and 2 varients of decals. 

IMG_20180617_114204

There are 4 detailed sprues, with no flash and a clear sprue (lots of canopy to mask!) All in all it looks a lovely little kit.

IMG_20180617_114257IMG_20180617_114257IMG_20180617_114309

I plan to build the aircraft flown by Croatian voulenteers of 15/ Kampfgeschwader 53 in 1941, and aim for an out of the box build with gear down. Doing a little bit of online research this morning, I have found several documentaries online about the surviving Dornier found off the coast of Margate, now at RAF Cosford under restoration.

Definitely worth a watch. Anyway, back to business......the kit is washed and awaiting attention.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Geee!!!!

I did not know the Luftwaffe only used crew members who had to be amputees... of the right arm, no less?! Now all is becoming clear.

Nice uniform though.

Shellie, it would appear to me that you are starting, O so timidly at first, onto the slippery slope that leads to an over-saturated shelf of doom...

If I am not mistaken, you have a minimum of 3 kits on the go... Do not join the miserable cast of thousands who despair at clearing all those unfinished kits that pull faces at them whenever they look in their direction.

I know all about it! I am one of them!!!!

Anyway, you have been warned!!!!!!!!!! Now back to being nice: this is a great kit and I am sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Progressing nicely whilst watching Mexico beat Germany! I have built up the cockpit and seated my pilot at the controls.

IMG_20180617_165300

In doing so I have noticed a breakage to the fuselage 🙈so much for out of the box (I have scratch built a replacement that I will attach when needed).

IMG_20180617_165310

Anyway, back to it now, hoping to have the fuselage halves together soon.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 8

Having secured the pilot, I then began adding the seats for the rest of the crew (this is pretty fiddly as it is a tight squeeze), and then attempted to join the fuselage halves. Attempted because it is hard to squeeze both halves together with all the crew and their seats in the small cockpit. A little bit of fettling however, and I managed to get them together (adding lots of tape to make sure it didn't ping apart). I left this to dry (while watching Brazil v Switzerland) and have just attached the upper section of the wings. It is a very different looking aircraft I think (more bird like than pencil, I think), and sanded the seams a little. I am beginning to take a shine to the flying pencil. 

IMG_20180617_220925

IMG_20180617_220929

• Like 9

Cracking on with the build today, I have attached the underside of the wings (there were a few minor gaps here, which I have filled).

IMG_20180618_222735

Then I began work painting the radial engines and building the cowlings.

IMG_20180618_222750

IMG_20180618_222803

So far so good, I am hoping the engines will fit in the cowlings as smoothly as that in the Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero.

• Like 7

On 6/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, Shelliecool said:

Progressing nicely whilst watching Mexico beat Germany!

Wow, that's a fast build!

Posted that just to John's Lancaster build: "Btw: Congrats to your football team tonight. And I must admit, that Tunisia played a much better game than Germany did yesterday. I think they will leave soon this time with their erratic play and pomading way to think, that they could defend the title without fighting for that. Saw the last three games of them and they are the same by now. Sadly they cannot do better by now. So your chance this time. Cheers"

• Like 2

Some rather good, and seriously speedy building going on here,  certainly compared to my glacial pace! I have both an Airfix Do17z and an ICM Do215B-4 in the stash, and both look like long builds for me!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Be careful with the four dorsal clear panels. They may well 'step' above the main wing, Easy enough to knock back and polish though and the 'towel rail' is easy enough to scratch.

• Thanks 1

Quick recap on last night's progress. I have built the tail plane, this is a great design that still moves (I was careful where I put the glue this time!), and attached the engines and cowlings.

IMG_20180620_194638

IMG_20180620_194650

Progressing nicely.

• Like 10

Hi Michelle,

this is looking better and better! What a beautiful kit to tart with and you are really enhancing it greatly.

I have a tiny, weeny question for you: because the photo is not very big, I am wondering if the exhaust stubs are facing forward, instead of backward?

Great show!

JR

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

this is looking better and better! What a beautiful kit to tart with and you are really enhancing it greatly.

I have a tiny, weeny question for you: because the photo is not very big, I am wondering if the exhaust stubs are facing forward, instead of backward?

Great show!

JR

Hi Jean,

Thank you! You made me wonder for a moment there, but I've just checked and they are facing backwards.....phew!

Cheers,

Michelle.

1 minute ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Jean,

Thank you! You made me wonder for a moment there, but I've just checked and they are facing backwards.....phew!

Cheers,

Michelle.

Hi Michelle,

I had to ask, but am I glad I was wrong! the photo is playing tricks, or is it my eyesight? 

Keep having a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

I had to ask, but am I glad I was wrong! the photo is playing tricks, or is it my eyesight? 

Keep having a lot of fun!

JR

I think it's the photo, the exhausts are quite small and the picture too, but I'm glad you asked.......keeps me on my toes!

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 1