De Havilland DH88 Comet

Despite me trying to build one model at a time for group builds, I've led myself astray again . My Hunter pair are nearing completion, so it's best I keep momentum up by starting another build, this time the rather ancient DH88, a kit that needs all the help it can get!

I'll be building this recent issue of a kit that first saw the light of day in 1957!

Airfix are pushing their luck a bit still selling this kit, it really is a period piece now.

IMG_4628.jpg

Mines been started, but there's still over 75% of the pieces to add, not that there's a huge part count in the first place!

Add to that about 3000% of extra effort needed to bring the thing even close to current standards and I'm sure a bit of pre-construction won't get me a Red Card on this build for the GB.

Construction has begun in reverse order for a change, with a base for the kit getting knocked together from bits and bobs that were to hand at the time.

A chrome effect card base has been passed over for the Hunters, so I might as well make use of it for this build. The nameplate has been cut from the boxtop and superglued to the front face and a couple of paper bases tried out on the top. The black insert is plain black paper, the 'concrete' base is white cartridge paper with pencil lining and a bit of misted over grey aerosol primer. That one's a bit rough around the edges and is a prototype, a better one will be made if I go down that route.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

A grass insert is also a possibility, who knows? First I have to smash the rather crude model into some kind of DH88 shape.

What could possibly go wrong?

More as it unfolds.

Tony.

• Like 7

Always glad to have another TonyW build added to the build list and this DH88 Comet is a great (although agree - long in the tooth) addition. 

I really like the proposed base your setting up and agree that these add greatly to the kit's show piece presentation. After all a gallery is full of framed paintings so why not treat our GB galleries like wise. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

A few more steps on the road to completion,

The plane has the basic airframe assembled now and a tiny bit of filler applied.

I'll have to dig out my original issue kit and see if it was as bad as this one when the mold was new.  There are sink marks dotted about and bloody great holes at the wing roots to deal with for starters.

IMG_4640.jpg

The base has had another lable made up for the front face, again it's cut from the red boxtop. It's on the reverse face to the white background one above, so either could get used.

To finish for this evening, here's the third issue header for the kit, with a stunning rendition of the plane by Roy Cross.

IMG_4644.jpg

• Like 7

As promised, here's the first release of the old girl.

IMG_4678.jpg

I'm not about to open the thing after sixty odd years all in one bit, however, looking at the parts through the bag it seems that the mold has suffered somewhat over the years. There's a noticeable crispness to the first issue bits. It's hardly surprising there's wear showing on the recent release, given its age!

My build is stalled for a while, the weather in the Fenns is incredibly humid at the moment and the first coat of red enamel on the plane is refusing to dry!

More to be added ASAP.

• Like 7

Well, it's slowly getting there.

I've nearly binned it a couple of times, the paintjob has been a right pain.

The slow drying first attempt finally dried out after a day or so on the windowsill. Had I been painting an alligator, I would have been proud of the finish. The paint dried with all kinds of lumps, bumps and other unwanted flaws. A quick rub down and re-coat saw a less than perfect result, although better than the first job. The thought of doing it all again put me right off the model. As a last ditch try at salvaging something from the mess, I did a bit of decaling. It does look a whole lot better, I must admit, although it's going to be a three footer for sure.

IMG_4736.jpg

I'll add the undercart, props and the rest of the decals and call it done over the weekend. Not a moment too soon for this modeller!

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear that it looks good if that helps any. 👍

Thanks, the camera is being economical with the truth though.

It will pass muster eventually, but at the back of the class.

Models don't always behave as you would like, but you need the odd disaster to make you appreciate your successes.

• Like 3

Nice subject choice. I love the old Roy Cross artwork. I made one of these many years ago, from the blister pack issue. It was pretty ropey even then, very poor fit and some short shot areas. Still, as you say released in 1957 so not bad for it's time I guess.

Probably shouldn't mention it here but the new AZ kit looks very nice :)

Nearly there now, and not before time too!

Just the undercart and a bit of touch up required and I'll be walking away from this one.

I had left the canopy in its plastic envelope to save it getting scratched during the build. On digging it out I find that it might well be for a different plane. The fit is appaling. A bit of sanding down of just about everywhere got it nearly fitting enough to pass. Nothing could be done about the width of the canopy rear though. It sticks out over the fuselage about half a mile. Trying to sand that to shape would almost certainly end in disaster, so I left it alone. It's not like the superdetailed interior was going to be lost, was it?

Todays latest disaster was a coat of satin Humbrol that decided to cloud over once dry. The jar now lives in the bin. Another coat of much older satin saved the day but the experience sums up this build really. Bad JuJu.

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

Once I can't bear to do any  more to the model, I'll add a couple of shots for the gallery.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

... To be fair, I should add that the decals behaved faultlessly. Dense enough to cover the red paintwork, very easy to apply, no cracking or breaking and just enough slip to give you a decent shot at alignment. Nice and thin as well. If only the kit was half as good!

• Like 3

Would you believe it, the DH88 is fighting back!

I took a snap of it this morning, while the camera was out, and the swine only went and looked good on me!

IMG_4764.jpg

...this build is going to be trouble.

• Like 7

It's a hot and sunny day here in the Fenns. Modelling will have to wait a bit while I top up my sunburn.

Have a quick picture to keep things rolling along...

IMG_4774.jpg

The model is slowly growing on me, after it's near miss with the Lump Hammer of Justice. 

It's a bit like a dog with character, drives you crazy, but you still feed him!

• Like 4

At last, the kit is done!! A three footer, camouflaged with a shiney display stand, but done I tell you! DONE!

IMG_4802.jpg

I've removed the background in this shot, to clean it up a bit. Pictures will be posted in the gallery once I'm done here, then it's on with the Bulldog and Lancaster plus a final bit of sorting on the Hunters. 😁

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I worry about me sometimes. This build was a bit of a 'mare from start to finish. I could put it all behind me and move on to the next one.

However...

Finding these two at a fiver each on the Heritage Aviation site saw me adding them to a few other bits and pieces that made a parcel that turned up here this morning. They were ordered yesterday, so that's first class service from Heritage.

IMG_4873.jpg

Despite the kits shortcomings, the decals were outstanding on the red plane build. The thought of adding the other race entrants to have a  mini collection swung the deal for me.

I have no idea when I'll get around to building these two, the red one sat in its box for at least three years, but at some point the glue will be brought into action on a DH88 again. 😁

Edited by TonyW
Bad links removed
  • Like 2