Recon Spitfire Pair

Foxbat

I had the Airfix PR.XIX in the stash already, and could have just gone for the Swedish scheme straight from the box but I was browsing the big H and saw some interesting decals that had a story attached. They were a big investment for one kit, so to justify them, I got another one - modelling logic, got to love it :D 

First up, the Sword FR.XIVe box:

3CJLGAK.jpg

And the Airfix PR.XIX:  

KWHcWmF.jpg

The decals. I'll be doing the Indian FR.XIV on the right and the Thai PR.XIX on the left.

1OMyGKD.jpg

And a bit of background. It appears that as RAF India units disbanded or came home, they left their aircraft to the fledgling RIAF, who also kept the aircraft they'd been loaned towards the end of WW2 meaning they had quite a fleet of mixed marks of late war Spitfires:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/History/919-Spitfire.html

The Thai one is PS888. Yes, that PS888, the same airframe as in the Airfix box and this article:

PS888 in Singapore

Sprue shots will follow when I start building.

Andy

• Like 9

Interesting choice of colour schemes.  I have a couple of the Sword kits so I'm keen to see how it works out compared to the Airfix kit.

• 2 months later...

I haven't forgotten these, but life and other GBs have made a habit of jumping to the front of the queue. However, there has been progress.

This is what is inside the Sword box:

A complete kit on a single sprue.

vhKwXBD.jpg

plus a second sprue with alternative fuselage halves and lower wing to allow both high and low back versions to be built with either C or E wings.

SF7xvp2.jpg

Instructions are in a booklet (more on that later) withe painting guide in full colour. There's an extra page in the instructions just for the stenciling, so a good package so far. Four options are on the decal sheet, covering the four buildable options (as far as I can tell, I'm not using them so didn't pay that much attention :D )

f05En34.jpg

There's some nice detail in the cockpit, but this is where the dry fitting and double checking become essential as the instructions are quite vague and there are no positive locating pins, tabs &c to be found. Previous experience is a must from here on in. I managed to get it looking like this. I'm sure others could make it so much nicer:

d5r5zlc.jpg

EB9Tcak.jpg

That sub assembly the kind of squeezes into the fuselage somewhere. There are no locating pins on that either, so I started gluing from the tail and the dropped the cockpit into about the right place, applied glue and pinched everything up. That got me to here:

fLqMVY2.jpg

More fun to follow tomorrow. I'm having the rest of the night off.

Andy

Banjaxed.

• Like 7

Don't worry if you couldn't start earlier, there's still time to complete one or two models !

Good start here, from what you say this is a typical Sword kit, I can see a lot of things I like in the sprue shots and I recognise other kits I've beuilt before in yours and Beardìs words.. they are nice kits but sure require care when building.

14 hours ago, Beard said:

The Sword XIV is a nice kit but it repay careful builders.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't worry if you couldn't start earlier, there's still time to complete one or two models !

Good start here, from what you say this is a typical Sword kit, I can see a lot of things I like in the sprue shots and I recognise other kits I've beuilt before in yours and Beardìs words.. they are nice kits but sure require care when building.

There's my problem - I've  been up to my eyes in classic Airfix plus Zvezda wargames kits where you can just throw them together so my proper modelling has got rusty. This is a lovely kit though, so I will make something of it. 

Andy

• Like 1

I wrangled the rest of the nose together (the upper cowl and exhausts was in 6 pieces, that's at least 3 more than absolutely necessary). Then I thought I'd try dry fitting the wings just to see... My glue slipped and all of a sudden I was here:

XUstWjh.jpg

I've added a bit more white round the roots and joints so I can see where and howmuch filler will be needed. The good news is almost none. More pics once that is done.

f7fpSS7.jpg

2HThR7P.jpg

Andy

Moving along now.

• Like 7

On 9/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, Foxbat said:

There's my problem - I've  been up to my eyes in classic Airfix plus Zvezda wargames kits where you can just throw them together so my proper modelling has got rusty. This is a lovely kit though, so I will make something of it. 

Andy

The Zvezda kits are fantastic, I build their FW.190 and was amazed at well this goes together. Still, if this is your first attempt at a Sword kit I'd say that you have nothing to worry about ! The model as it stands now looks pretty good and I can see how you'll only need a little filler here and there. I've built mainstream kits that were worse than this