BF109-F4

So I took this to work:

DSC_5653

with the intention of scribing some panel lines during a particularly dull conference call I had to do.

Some decals from a later boxing as the originals were shot:

DSC_5654

So not quite sure how it progressed so fast but dry fit (for something so old) was good:

DSC_5662

And after some serious filler:

DSC_5664

This might be almost ready for primer same time as the mosquito.

DSC_5663

Not shown is the canopy which is masked with an eduard vinyl mask - bought it off someone on here - hhmmmm different from the tape ones ;)

Anyway, original kit is from 1978 but I think this is the 1980 boxing.

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 8

Yes! That looks great mate. 

Just how drab was the call if you were only doing some scribing but ended up building all that ??? 🤣

• Haha 3

Wish I could get away with taking my models into work, although working airside at an Airport I think those happy Security folk would baulk at all my sharp tools and nasty liquidy potions! 

Nice to see this 48 scaler being built alongside the same size Spits and Mossies. They actually don’t look that bad when you take a second look. 

Cheers and enjoying the quick progress.. Dave 

• Like 2

Ah the joys of conference calls, how I miss them - not.

That's a great start Lawzer, but would you mind changing the title of your build thread please?  Currently, it is in contravention of my worldwide Exclusivity Licence for the use of the name "190" in this Group Build :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeez, modelling at work the EHS guys would have a fit if I tried that on, sharp blades, noxious fumes, besides its all I can do to get the comms. eqpt to work properly let alone with a scalpel in my hand!

• Like 2

On 17/06/2018 at 07:03, CliffB said:

Ah the joys of conference calls, how I miss them - not.

That's a great start Lawzer, but would you mind changing the title of your build thread please?  Currently, it is in contravention of my worldwide Exclusivity Licence for the use of the name "190" in this Group Build :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Cliff

D'oh!!!!!

On 17/06/2018 at 07:02, Rabbit Leader said:

Wish I could get away with taking my models into work, although working airside at an Airport I think those happy Security folk would baulk at all my sharp tools and nasty liquidy potions! 

Nice to see this 48 scaler being built alongside the same size Spits and Mossies. They actually don’t look that bad when you take a second look. 

Cheers and enjoying the quick progress.. Dave 

On 17/06/2018 at 16:14, MarkSH said:

Jeez, modelling at work the EHS guys would have a fit if I tried that on, sharp blades, noxious fumes, besides its all I can do to get the comms. eqpt to work properly let alone with a scalpel in my hand!

I *may* have mislead you all a bit....I did only really rescribe the panel lines.  And the next day paint the cockpit and interior....

rest was done at Lawzer towers 😁

• Like 3

And here’s me thinking you’ve set yourself up at work with a Spray booth and all? 

Not to worry - Lawzer Towers sounds like a nice place to work! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, time for the dreaded Vallejo Air.....(I know a lot of people swear by this but i have a love/hate relationship with it)...

DSC_5675

I mixed some xf23 (I think it was) and xf2 for the rlm 65 but in my wisdom did not keep any for the inevitable bleed :(

And then let it dry for a week before masking for the other cammo colour :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Lawzer said:

So, time for the dreaded Vallejo Air.....(I know a lot of people swear by this but i have a love/hate relationship with it)..

And some just swear at it Ian - guess which camp I belong too? I ditched mine years ago due to their inability to stick to plastic, their fantastic ability to stick to masking tape and (to my eyes) their overall gloomy and dark tones that didn’t seem to match any correct paint shades. 

I’ve read they’ve improved their colour matches in recent years and know that many modellers get on well with them - which is good news.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

And some just swear at it Ian - guess which camp I belong too? I ditched mine years ago due to their inability to stick to plastic, their fantastic ability to stick to masking tape and (to my eyes) their overall gloomy and dark tones that didn’t seem to match any correct paint shades. 

I’ve read they’ve improved their colour matches in recent years and know that many modellers get on well with them - which is good news.

Cheers.. Dave 

The first kit I used VA for it went on like a dream.  The next few were a nightmare - I am fairly sure it was down to me but there just seemed to be no consistency.  The first use was with no thinner/anything else.  Perfect.  Next few (same) splutter, blocked nozzle, lot of swearing.  I have read a lot of tips on using it from t'internet ranging from don;t shake the bottle at all up to shake the bottle for x minutes at a 45 degree angle (and i won;t even go into the suggestions about thinning/getting the bottle blessed on sacred ground etc etc.).  However (even though rlm83 is the WRONG colour!) this time it decided to co-operate so I've left it for a few days (been down that masking tape road too!) to properly "set" and I'll do the other colour at the weekend when I have time to mask it and paint in one day so that the blu tack worms don;t get a chance to leech into the VA colour.

Speaking of which, the scheme on this machine looks like a cross between normal splinter camo on wings/tail planes but a more well, raf-ish pattern on the fuselage.  I will maybe see if I can find any pictures to confirm however having said that, I do quite like the overall scheme :)  Even if the colour is wrong 🤣

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well you snuck this in under the wire...

It is FORBIDDEN to comment in the gallery section - so I'll say it here...

BRILLIANT JOB - WELL DONE - AND OTHER COMPLIMENTS TOO - NICE ONE ETC...

• Like 2

@Lawzer You certainly did sneak this one through! Was it finished during another one of your conference calls? 🤣

It looks fantastic mate, really well done. Quick work and that vallejo has gone on nicely. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well you snuck this in under the wire...

It is FORBIDDEN to comment in the gallery section - so I'll say it here...

BRILLIANT JOB - WELL DONE - AND OTHER COMPLIMENTS TOO - NICE ONE ETC...

Why thank you sir!

11 hours ago, Antb said:

@Lawzer You certainly did sneak this one through! Was it finished during another one of your conference calls? 🤣

It looks fantastic mate, really well done. Quick work and that vallejo has gone on nicely. 

Haha - no conference calls this time ;)

after the paint was on there wasn't too much left to do.  And thanks to the humbrol gloss (thanks to @BIG X for the recommendation) the decals were a lot easier to place and adjust than on previous builds (using the modern klear).

so the mosquito *should* be finished today too....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

so the mosquito *should* be finished today too....

OMG - if you finish the mossie today - what on earth are you going to do for the rest of the GB :wicked:

• Haha 1

Wow - Blink and you'll miss it!! 

Nice job on the 109, you've certainly been a busy boy which reminds me that I'd better pull my digit out. 

Cheers and well done.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1