Hercules c.1

Hi All

I've not posted in a while but Inspired by recent posts, and the fact that the box was falling apart I forged ahead with this one. This is my attempt at the old girl.

The kit is the Esci 1/72 kit straight from the box. Despite the shape issues I'm happy with the way it turned out.

And last a big shout out to the kind Brit modeller who explained that xtra acrlic's British Gulf armour lt stone is the same shade asRAF light stone.

Hope you like it.

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

Lovely job. My favourite colour scheme as I started on these beasts in 68 at Thorney Island and finished on them at Lyneham in 90. I have an Italieri 1/72 in my stash which I intend to finish in the crud and custard so can you tell me what colours you used.

Thanks

PBK

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Patrick BK said:

Lovely job. My favourite colour scheme as I started on these beasts in 68 at Thorney Island and finished on them at Lyneham in 90. I have an Italieri 1/72 in my stash which I intend to finish in the crud and custard so can you tell me what colours you used.

Thanks

PBK

I can't speak on other paint brands, but both Dark Earth and Light Stone are also in the Xtracolor range, X002 and X029 respectively.

I like that scheme too.  I'm looking forward to one day getting it onto a Welsh Models Twin Pioneer.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

What a superb job you have made of this Herk,..... and you have totally nailed the early scheme too. 

I was wary of the old Esci kit but seeing what you have done with it,.... I may give it a try sometime after all,

Come of Revell,...... we need a new C-130 in 1/72nd scale!!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a superb job you have made of this Herk,..... and you have totally nailed the early scheme too. 

I was wary of the old Esci kit but seeing what you have done with it,.... I may give it a try sometime after all,

Come of Revell,...... we need a new C-130 in 1/72nd scale!!!

Cheers

Tony

Yes, yes, on all counts! A very attractive color scheme and an excellent build! Long overdue for replacement by Airfix and with some clever engineering, they could get a lot of versions out of a basic set of sprues.

Mike

• Like 1

Hello Cardiff,

The Netherlands on the line. Yes, with this C-130 color scheme it all started for this famous transporter by the RAF. Decades later, it still dominates the flight ramp from many airbases around the wordl.

You did a very good job on the AC. I take it for granted, that the white spot above the cockpit is to reduce warmth in the Far East.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

Lovely job and you've got the colours spot on"!  I was in the RAF at Lyneham during 1971-74 and saw the whole fleet of these in those colours.

Just a couple of points that I hope you don't mind me mentioning. Firstly, when in these colours, they only had ONE RAF roundel above the port wing (none above the starboard wing) and ONE red/blue B-type roundel below the starboard wing. Also the finish was HIGH GLOSS and they did not adopt a matt finish until 1973 when the roundels were toned down to just red/blue.    

41067023190_f68d79880d_m.jpg

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1