Platform 4 - Ian McQue Scratchbuild

Hi everyone. Hope there's room for another Ian McQue inspired scratch build :). I've loved his designs since the first time I saw them, and have all of his kits from Industria Mechanika that I'll eventually build. Since those are all 1:35 scale, I'm building this scratch to match.

Check him out if you like his designs. Facebook Twitter Instagram

This will be my first attempt at scratch building, so it'll probably be a slow build. Parts of the model will be more kit bash than scratch, mainly the engine and underside. 

These are the sketches I'm basing the build on. I mirrored one to use as the basis for the opposite side.

a31ea45962a6c5c8fd083f944c982086--arte-dScreenshot_20180611-211214.png

I started off by building an L shaped box to use as the core of the design. 

IMG_20180615_155303.jpg

Next, I added another layer to build out the basic shape a bit more. I'll be adding weld line decals from Archer where you see the pencil lines.

IMG_20180615_171442.jpg

Here, I've thickened up the top of the front fins, added a floor and round greeble, and cut a notch on the port side. If you notice some rough edges, those are intentional. His sketch looks like a vehicle that would have beat up edges.

IMG_20180616_093458.jpgIMG_20180616_093521.jpg

That's where I am today with the main body. I did spend a little time playing around with some parts to add to the deck, and came up with this "control box" that I'll add somewhere behind the pilot.

The red part is from an old Koh-I-Noor drafting graphite container I found at work. I'm not sure what the numbers on the top will look like under primer and paint, but they should be slightly visible. I figure it can serve as an engine system model number.

IMG_20180615_155334.jpgIMG_20180615_155401.jpgIMG_20180615_155349.jpg

That'll be all I post until next weekend. I'm excited to keep going, but I'm away from home for a few days. Thanks for looking!

Edited by adamcoffman
  • Like 13

Great! A McQue scratchbuild. I'm in for a front row seat, thanks.

For the weld lines, I've used stretched sprue before. Use lots of Revell Contacta and squish it down with a scalpel blade once soft.

I would advise practice before you do it to your build though!

Hurry back from your trip.

• Like 1

I've got a very minor update this weekend. I wasn't able to accomplish much on the model this past week, but I managed to get some weld line decals from Archer applied. They went on easily, but they aren't cheap. I should probably try to master the stretched sprue and glue technique since the decals would break the bank on a larger project. I also applied some hex bolt heads, and added 1:35 freight car buffers to the lower front. The front plate you can see in the rendering will be attached to these buffers.

MVIMG_20180624_094505.jpg

IMG_20180624_094528.jpg

I should have more free time this week and hope to get a lot more built out by next weekend.

• Like 7

Here are a few small things I accomplished this week.

• Added the bolted on plate to the starboard side and "matching" kinked bars to both sides. They aren't an exact match, but they're close enough for me.
  • Added round bits at the bottom front sides as attachment points for some fins. 
  • Added a "pull bar" to the front, more or less at deck level.

IMG_20180629_182614.jpgIMG_20180629_182642.jpg

I'd like to get this piece finished this weekend then start of the engine compartment and detailing. I'm assuming the engine is behind the number 4 in the rendering. The deck detailing will be after that, then the bottom bit with all the fins will be done last. That's the plan so far!

• Like 4

Thanks, I'm happy with it so far. I'm currently trying to figure out where I can something to use as the pilot's seat. If I can't find something for a reasonable price I may try to scratch build that as well. I got some decals in the mail today for some dials and instrument gauges so I can push forward with the upper deck as soon as I get the engine done.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update. I've had some 1:1 home improvement projects that have taken most of my free time, but I've managed to push this build along a little.

The "engine compartment" is coming along. I won't attached this to the main body until after it's painted. The side fins/flaps/who-knows-whats are attached. Each one is 11 pieces. 

IMG_20180719_071439.jpg

IMG_20180719_071516.jpg

Inside the engine compartment. There's still a lot of detail to add.

IMG_20180719_071550.jpg

And the engines. Started these last night and they need a lot more detail and depth added. The main parts are some sort of plumbing pvc parts with Gundam bits added on.

IMG_20180719_071626.jpg

More to come :)

• Like 7

On 7/20/2018 at 2:48 PM, rockpopandchips said:

Is that a HG Z'Gok backpack part, love a game of spot the Gundam part..... 🤪

If there was a prize you'd win! There are a few HG Z'Gok parts in this build.

I spent some time this afternoon working on the engine and adding some detail to the engine compartment. Most of the engine will be hard to see once it's placed in the housing, so I tried to add things that would provide some visual interest when viewing it from the back. I'm interested to see what it all looks like with some primer.

This is probably all I'll do with the engine compartment for now. I'll add some pipes from the upper deck and exhaust later.

IMG_20180721_181432.jpg

Here's the engine with some wires for visual interest. You can see some seam lines on some of the parts that I didn't bother to get rid of since they'll be hard to see once the engine is attached.

IMG_20180721_181853.jpg

IMG_20180721_181702.jpg

IMG_20180721_181647.jpg

I'm debating starting the upper deck, or the bottom structure next. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Perfect. 

When they press the button that might just start!

LOL - they do look good though as Pete says, I mean REALLY good. 

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Interesting design and fantastic scratch building,but,what is it?

Good question! I'm not sure what it's supposed to be in the mind of the artist. In my mind, and for this build, I'm thinking of it as some sort of inspection vehicle. Maybe it could also tow smaller ships that have broken down? McQue calls it Platform 4, so what would a floating "platform" do? If anyone else has an idea feel free to share. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adamcoffman said:

Good question! I'm not sure what it's supposed to be in the mind of the artist. In my mind, and for this build, I'm thinking of it as some sort of inspection vehicle. Maybe it could also tow smaller ships that have broken down? McQue calls it Platform 4, so what would a floating "platform" do? If anyone else has an idea feel free to share. 

It's probably one of those ubiquitous over worked little vehicles which are found in every harbour, freight yard or flight line that are used by the techs who work 24/7 in the background to keep everything else functioning to fetch and carry, lift and shift and pull and push.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm very interested in this build is there going to be any further installments to this craft ? looks like a very interesting construction article and am curious as what this craft is supposed to be used for, every one of Ian Mcque's designs are a fascinating array of added on sections of whatever material can be found almost like building a dwelling with anything available. thank you for sharing interesting construction techniques in this build.   Carl Mac