North American RA 5C Vigilante. Budget Bomber Build

ref2.jpg

There's a chap on ebay knocking out Airfix Vigilantes for £8.

For your money you get a bag of bits, some photocopied instructions and some home printed decals. But it is only £8!

I'm doing it OOB (Out of Bag). You don't get a box.

P6161582.jpg

P6161584.jpg

P6161583.jpg

First impressions are that the kit is very old. Lots of flash and the plastic is like an old C60 cassette tape box. The decals look sharp, if thin.

But bearing in mind the massive cost I don't really care.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 7

To say that the kit cockpit lacks detail would be something of an understatement.

P6181600.jpg

Made something out plasticard and odd bits.

P6181602.jpg

P6181601.jpg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I'm a but worried about the seam on the fuselage.

With long seams like that, I use Tamiya super thin first as it's quicker I usually choose either the top or bottom first, and then back fill the inside with thick superglue or epoxy, then turn it over and do the other side you can get really good strong joins that way, as you have the fuselage halves together you can probably run some in from the rear, nothing worse than find a split fuselage later in the build.

I've already braced it on the inside with card. The join is just a bit ugly and the detail is fine, I'm worried that it will be lost during sanding.

Whatever... must remember that it was bought as a bag of bits for eight quid.

Love this kit I built it 30 +++ years ago and again recently after picking up a couple of Airfix original boxings. This was part of the re-learning process following a hiatus of far too many years. My build involved lots of filler covered bad seams and deformed rear fuselage that required a few hot baths in the kitchen sink to get it back to a reasonable shape. Good luck with your build it turns into a beautiful, imposing aircraft. 

The panels all look straight. from what I can tell. There are some sink marks in the wings, but that is nothing to do with the age of the kit.

I think that there will be some filling required around the wing roots though.

Filling, sanding and priming done. I could do more but

1) I've had enough

2) The amount of filler and primer used is in danger of costing more than the kit

3) What little detail there was is more or less obliterated. I'll try and paint it back in with different shades of grey.

P6231609.jpg

I can't believe how "fast" this thing looks!

A couple of facts.

1) It first flew 60 years ago!

2) There is only a 19 year gap between it and the Zero in the foreground.

• Like 9

And beetwen Them was the F-111B that never made the way from prototype to production.

Some Vigilante's where also painted in SEA camouflage. Not that often seen as models...

Cheers / André

• 3 weeks later...

After all but obliterating any surface detail whilst trying to fill and sand my way through the Grand Canyon on the top of the fuselage I am going to try and get back some detail by colour pre-shading some of the larger panels. Also, the second cockpit is lost in the body of the aircraft, so I've scribed the shut lines and pre-shaded it too.

P7081617.jpg

Not had much fun airbrushing the white. Plenty of "guano" that I've had to sand out.

Next up some grey. At last.

• Like 4

Hmmm.... Spraying complete, but I don't know if I am happy with it. The Tomcat (in for touch up) looks better in my opinion. 

I've also developed a deep hatred of Tamiya and Humbrol white acrylic paint.

The poor Hawk "Test Pig" took a hell of a thrashing on this build. The least I could do was to take it's picture.

P7141622.jpg

P7141623.jpg

Touch up to follow.

My son clearly likes it though as he as already claimed it, and has told me to move the (far superior) Flanker out of his room to make space. 

• Like 5

Argh! Messed it up!

Painting the red trim on the undercarriage doors and managed to contaminate the grey and white paint on the fuselage because I'm a clumsy ****. To compund it I used the wrong shade of grey when touching up then discovered that the correct shade of grey had dried out. Painting over the accidental pink with white is going to take a few coates to cover too.

Emergency order placed on Hannants (I see the postage fee as a tax for being stupid), so hopefully i'll be able to put it right at the weekend. 

#groan

• Sad 2

On 7/15/2018 at 2:11 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

My son clearly likes it though as he as already claimed it, and has told me to move the (far superior) Flanker out of his room to make space. 

Your son shows great taste.  The Vigilante is a much better looking aeroplane than the hideous Flanker.

AW