Trumpeter 1/200 H.M.S. Rodney with Pontos PE

You are lucky! I am half the planet away in Australia!  :)   In the end I used the same paints I used for my 1/72 Snowberry, Lifecolor. Good rang, all the ones for the Royal Navy anyway, but you need to use an airbrush with a larger than normal nozzle, like one of the old Paascche single action ones as the Lifecolor pait has lots and lots of pigment and will clog fine nozzles. 

They are also great for brush painting and normally only need one coat if you don't thin the paint.

airbrush.com has the full range and fast service, even to the far flung antipodes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, warreni said:

You are lucky! I am half the planet away in Australia!  :)   In the end I used the same paints I used for my 1/72 Snowberry, Lifecolor. Good rang, all the ones for the Royal Navy anyway, but you need to use an airbrush with a larger than normal nozzle, like one of the old Paascche single action ones as the Lifecolor pait has lots and lots of pigment and will clog fine nozzles. 

They are also great for brush painting and normally only need one coat if you don't thin the paint.

airbrush.com has the full range and fast service, even to the far flung antipodes.

Thanks, though by rights we are not that far away. 😛 Where do you get lifecolor? Typically there doesn't seem to be any NZ stockist. I have also looked at Colour Coats which would be the most accurate but seem to be proving rather hard to acquire. Hataka was also another one but I can't find anyone who stocks that either. 

I figured painting something so large would require a larger nozzle size. I use a Testors airbrush kit which comes with interchangeable nozzles for all different uses. I also have had plenty of experience with acrylic paint clogging tip the nozzle. Model Master acrylics are notorious for it, and the only way to minimise the problem is to use the Model Master acrylic thinner. 

Ah, you mean that ditch. I mentioned in my other post where I get them from reliably..

Okay, some more progress..

The foredeck is sprout protuberances at a large rate. Yesterday..

20190723-174327.jpg

Today..

20190725-161844.jpg

See what I mean! That area is behind the second wave breaker, the first is basically finished, except for some dreaded sticky-uppy things..

20190725-161850.jpg

Sticky-uppy things must wait until near the end or they may depart the area they are attached to. Then there are these two sets of barrel cleaning rods I have attached to their cradles..

20190725-161856.jpg

These flank the forward turret and I presume there are two more flanking the aft turret, which isn't really aft at all..

That's it for now.
Warren

Edited by warreni
Spelling...
  • Like 10

Hello again.

Lots of deck fittings on-going, and as I found out much more included than on the Trumpeter original. For example..

20190728-083013.jpg

.. four paravanes.

And I can't find part 940 anywhere in the set...  :(

• Like 7

On 20/06/2018 at 21:23, warreni said:

Just a very quick one. If you glue all your PE together but decide you are not happy with it but it is too delicate to crack apart, or there is too much glue there, never fear you can take them apart easily. No need to buy that debonding agent either! Just go to your local pharmacy/supermarket and but some nail polish remover. Not the woosy one with no acetone in it but the powerful stuff. Put some in a small container, preferably metal or glass as it may dissolve some types of plastic, then put your parts in it. Leave them 5 or 10 minutes and when you remove them you will have no trouble taking them apart without lots of damage.

I was not happy with my first lot of magazine assemblies so I gave them the acetone treatment last night..

20180620_172055.jpg

20180620_172059.jpg

20180620_172119.jpg

And this one was damaged previously but I am going to fix it before I glue them together..

20180620_172114.jpg

Cheers
Warren

You can also use heat to unstick CA.  I use a hot soldering iron against the joint until you get a small puff of smoke, which is the glue evaporating.  Just don't breath in the fumes. On larger pieces ( for 1/72 and larger) I use a small butane power blow torch, which I wave over the joint, until the glue evaporates.

• Like 6

Only problem with heat is it is very easy to destroy fine PE pieces if you apply a little too much, which is very easy to do unfortunately..

8 hours ago, warreni said:

Only problem with heat is it is very easy to destroy fine PE pieces if you apply a little too much, which is very easy to do unfortunately..

True. Nail varnish remover is a lot more forgiving, if messier

And so continues the installation of wooden decking and deck fittings..

20190803-143306.jpg

20190804-173338.jpg

20190804-173349.jpg

I am sure these things  are copulating in the night. One problem though, it appears Trumpeter haven't given me enough G2 vents... :(

• Like 7

7 hours ago, warreni said:

I am sure these things  are copulating in the night.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't know what a 'G2 vent' looks like. Can you not scratch some?

Those decks are looking very busy, looks great.

Stuart

Looks like the only option I have Stuart. Although with so much clutter I don't think one vent will be mised.  :)

On another note, does anyone know what colour the waterways etc were on the camoed Rodney?

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Hmmmm.. I looked at my Nelson kit and I may be able to get a G2 from that one. I did scratch build one last night though...  :)

• Like 1

No piccies tonight but I have now completed 99% of the main deck fittings, jsut the sticky-uppy things to go.

I actually installed the first waterway this afternoon and am amazed at the level of detail Pontos have got into this set. Then after the waterways there are barriers then railings. Mostly you just get railings....

Cheers
Warren

• Like 1

The Rodney is sidelined for a while while I wait for an item to arrive so I thought I would start another model while I wait.. I ended up starting three and this is the bench at the moment..

20190816-165452.jpg

Anyone care to take a guess at the identities of the three?  :)

Edited by warreni
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, warreni said:

The Rodney is sidelined for a while while I wait for an item to arrive so I thought I would start another model while I wait.. I ended up starting three and this is the bench at the moment..

20190816-165452.jpg

Anyone care to take a guess at the identities of the three?  :)

PC6 Turbo Porter, would look good in Oz Army cam’o

DC3/ C47 Wings and the other look’s like a,-

Albemarle?

53 minutes ago, Exkiwiforces said:

PC6 Turbo Porter, would look good in Oz Army cam’o

DC3/ C47 Wings and the other look’s like a,-

Albemarle?

I am ex Oz forces.  :)

The PC-6 wasn't too hard with the instructions there. Yes, that is the dreaded Valom Albemarle whose transparencies are 1/85 scale, not 1.72 like the airframe... and the last one psn't a DC-3 pr C-47... a hint, it is Italian in origin..

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone.

After a rather long lapse I have a post for your perusal.

It is not that I have been doing nothing on the ship but just that there is so much to do! Thousands of parts and a paint supply problem until recently meant not much got done and it is taking a long time.

The hull is basically finished and now I am on the superstructure and gun turrets. Here are some shots of the superstructure assembly so far.

20191007_170633.jpg

20191007_170638.jpg

20191007_170641.jpg

20191007_170654.jpg

20191007_170659.jpg

20191007_170706.jpg

20191007_171130.jpg

No big sticky-uppy aerials and masts up yet as I know they would probably get damaged if I did. It is bad enough that the funnel got damaged at some time and some of the detail has disappeared.

Anyway, I have one more weekend before I head off over seas to Sri Lanka and the Maldives so please don't feel too sorry for me..  :)

Cheers
Warren

• Like 8

Looking absolutely fantastic!

What was your approach to painting? With the paint scheme & colour variations, did you mask & paint bit by bit or did you figure out a more universal way to minimise painting time?

Is that dark grey on the horizontal surfaces 507C RN Dark Grey? 

Edited by ArtickWarspite
more to ask.

Hi there Artick...

I used the paper-mask method on the hull. I got a diagram of the scheme developed by Soverign Hobbies, scaled it up to 1/200 size, printed them out, then cut them up as required. You needed multiple copies as each colour needed its own mask. There are 4 colours. 

For the superstructure I bursh painted most of the first level of the superstructure with the lightest grey I was using, I think it was 507C, then I hand painted the remaining three colours using Lifecolor paints and a hairy stick.

Most of the upper surfaces, especially the armoured decks I used Tamiya XF-77 for as I considered this a very close match to the MS2 I had previously purchased from WEM way back when I was bulkilding the 1/72 HMCS Snowberry with all the GLS sets. Lots of airbrushing and hairy stick work.

The Lifecolor paints need an airbrush with a larger nozzle as they have lots of pigment which tends to clog fine nozzles. I used an old Paasche single-action airbrush for those paints. There was also a problem with the paint beading due to surface tension effects but I got around that .

The Tamiya paints covered all metal and plastic surfaces with ease, but the Lifecolor didn't like un-primed metal surfaces so I used Gunze metal primer for those and that seemed to cure that problem.

Any more questions fele free to ask.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, warreni said:

Hi there Artick...

I used the paper-mask method on the hull. I got a diagram of the scheme developed by Soverign Hobbies, scaled it up to 1/200 size, printed them out, then cut them up as required. You needed multiple copies as each colour needed its own mask. There are 4 colours. 

For the superstructure I bursh painted most of the first level of the superstructure with the lightest grey I was using, I think it was 507C, then I hand painted the remaining three colours using Lifecolor paints and a hairy stick.

Most of the upper surfaces, especially the armoured decks I used Tamiya XF-77 for as I considered this a very close match to the MS2 I had previously purchased from WEM way back when I was bulkilding the 1/72 HMCS Snowberry with all the GLS sets. Lots of airbrushing and hairy stick work.

The Lifecolor paints need an airbrush with a larger nozzle as they have lots of pigment which tends to clog fine nozzles. I used an old Paasche single-action airbrush for those paints. There was also a problem with the paint beading due to surface tension effects but I got around that .

The Tamiya paints covered all metal and plastic surfaces with ease, but the Lifecolor didn't like un-primed metal surfaces so I used Gunze metal primer for those and that seemed to cure that problem.

Any more questions fele free to ask.

Cheers

Warren

Thanks for that, having not done this size before, any pointers would be good. 

At this stage, I'm almost 100% certain that Colourcoats will be the way to go paint wise with my Nelson, but would like to keep to a minimum the amount of times I have to pull out the airbrush. On the other hand, I don't want to build so much of a single piece that it becomes extremely difficult to paint either. Looking at what you have done with your masts was a sensible idea. Too bad I've already made mine.. 

Looking at your photos closely, I'm quietly starting to freak out at the complexity of a multi colour paint scheme...

There are a few good reasons I didn't use Colourcoats, the main reason being they won't post to Australia anymore. ANother reason was that the distributor for my region don't normally have them in stock. They are always 'on order'.

Lifecolor paints are really excellent once you get used to them. 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, warreni said:

There are a few good reasons I didn't use Colourcoats, the main reason being they won't post to Australia anymore. ANother reason was that the distributor for my region don't normally have them in stock. They are always 'on order'.

Lifecolor paints are really excellent once you get used to them. 

Cheers

Yes, I understand what you mean. I have been in contact with the distributor over your way and yes, while they can ship here, they are indeed on order. An order was placed with them a while ago as it was expected that this Nelson won't be ready for any paint for a little longer yet. But a back up plan has been thought of in case it falls through.

There's no lifecolour paints readily available over here in NZ as yet...