Trumpeter 1/200 H.M.S. Rodney with Pontos PE

1 hour ago, ArtickWarspite said:

Yes, I understand what you mean. I have been in contact with the distributor over your way and yes, while they can ship here, they are indeed on order. An order was placed with them a while ago as it was expected that this Nelson won't be ready for any paint for a little longer yet. But a back up plan has been thought of in case it falls through.

There's no lifecolour paints readily available over here in NZ as yet...

Airbrush.com (I think!) is where I buy mine. Great service and no problems shipping overseas.

46 minutes ago, Ripaman said:

Wow brilliant Warren the hull looks :thumbsup:

Regards

Richard 

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi Warren. Your work looks very good - I'm still convinced you used the Snyder & Short MS4A on the hull rather than the MS4. The duck-egg bluey colour of the the paint you've used is a giveaway - Lifecolor is based on Snyder & Short's and their MS4A was incorrectly duck egg blue. It was MS4 on Rodney which was darker, very slightly greenish tinged grey.

First up thanks for your side views you made as they where what I went used for my pattern. I blew them up then cut masks from ordinary paper and put them in place with masking tape. I never use Bluetack as I find it leaves residue whenever I use it. But much of the paint on the superstructure has been done with the good-ole hairy stick as well. Too hard to mask up something with PE all over it.

The reason why I stopped rivet-counting with the paint was purely down to availability and the fact that paint colour on ships changed all the time back in WWII due to the weathering effects of the environment. If availability had not been non-existent for Colourcoats I would have used them like I have before. Sorry but your distributor in Australia is rubbish and never has them in stock and I could not be bothered waiting while he got them in. I still don't understand how a distributor can get Colourcoats but a private person can't. I know all about Royal Mail restrictions etc bu why can't the pots travel by sea? It may be slow but at least they will get here.

Thanks again,

Warren

• 1 month later...
Just now, colin said:

That's a beauty Warren, you must have a good optivisor for all that etch work

Just one point, on the last photo, how to they close the right hand door on the cabinet 😉

It slides...  :)

I only put that derrick there a day or so ago and forgot all about that door.

Let me just delete that photo...  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Excellent!B)

The only tweak I can think of would be to change the upper wing roundels on the two Walrus to red/blue ones as that would be more accurate for a camouflaged aircraft.

Mike.

44 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Excellent!B)

The only tweak I can think of would be to change the upper wing roundels on the two Walrus to red/blue ones as that would be more accurate for a camouflaged aircraft.

Mike.

Thanks mate but I am leaving them the way they are for now. If you noticed there is no rigging either.. couldn't face it.. might do it later.

Gidday Warren, she's a beauty, very neat and impressive. I baulk at rigging, and at my scale of 1/600 it would be a lot sparser and simpler than yours. Regarding the shelters for the paravanes inside the breakwaters, (last photo) I've never known what they were or what for - at 1/600 they where simply blobs of plastic. Now I know better. And it shouldn't be a problem closing the door, simply lift out the very large door-stopper you've fitted. 😉 Very large models such as yours are goldmines of info for smaller models such as mine - many thanks. Again, a terrific model. Regards, Jeff.

That is a stunning build there Warren I will be keeping it bookmarked for reference when I get around to mine the camouflage scheme has came out great to with or without rigging it is very impressive and big 👍🏻

what are you planning to do next another 200 scale or some of those wingy things :popcorn:

beefy 

Hi Beefy.

I have started a couple of wingy things for a bit of a break. Next 1/200 subject is the Rodney's victim, Bismarck.

Jeff, you are correct there but larger ones are much easier!  :)

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Very nice work Warren, congrats! May i ask one question regarding the fire control? Is this a HACS MKIII or MKIII G on top of the superstructure? The radar is a Type 285, right? Best regards, Christof