IJN Underside gray green

NAVY870

A quick one Gentlemen

Whats your weapon of choice for IJN gray green?

I've done a small bit of painting on the belly of my Tamiya Seiran using XF-12 which appears far too

green

The recommended Humbrol alternative isnt in the same street.

I did have a can of WEM but damned if I can find it.

Ta 

XF-12 is too grey. XF-76, which was released for Tamiya's 1/32 A6M2 Zero, is much better but still perhaps a touch too green. 

Better still is the AV Model Air IJN set from Vallejo. Their version of the colour is exceptionally good, and while it still probably isn't 100% accurate it's certainly better than the other available options.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what plane and when. For the late war scheme of dark green over light gray as found on Nakajima-built Zeros, various sources (I believe including Nick Millman) give FS 36307 as a good approximation, and Tamiya XF-12 is a dead-on match for that color. If we're talking about the green-gray used overall on early war fighters and later by Mitsubishi for their version of light gray bottoms, then not so much.

• Like 1

Nick Millman recommended XF-76 for a slightly weathered aircraft.

He described WEM Colourcoats version as being a little too dark, but under Jamie's ownership some of the Japanese Colourcoats have been modified since NIck made his comments.  I am currently using ACJ16.whereas their original option was ACJ02.

He stated that Hemp (Camouflage Beige) was similar to the Japanese colours but thought Vallejo's version a little dark and lacking the subtle green tinge.  He simply said that the value of other tins of Hemp depended upon their closeness to the RAF colour - caveat emptor!  I have found Precision Paint the most convincing option, but the RAF colour is highly dependent upon the incident light.

I would suggest that most examples of RLM02 are darker than desirable so be careful about what you are mixing with a possibly too dark Hemp.

I don't think that the Vallejo pack was available when he wrote his summary.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

When I built an  A6M5 model which presents plane made by Nakajima I used XF-12. The one in Mitsubishi camo I used XF-76. But when I build early Zeros I use the mix of RLM02 anf Hemp (1-1 ratio). 

7 hours ago, DominikS said:

When I built an  A6M5 model which presents plane made by Nakajima I used XF-12. The one in Mitsubishi camo I used XF-76. But when I build early Zeros I use the mix of RLM02 anf Hemp (1-1 ratio). 

My sentiments exactly, except I've got a slightly different mix for the early war gray-green since I'm generally an enamels guy: 1-1 Model Master SAC Bomber Tan and RLM 02. I've read that Mitsubishi used that same shade for at least some of the planes in the dark green-over-light gray scheme.

I don't understand why two different Grey's are assumed for Mitsubishi use, as I believe there was only the one colour.  I can see why you would want one mix for fresh paint or an aircraft that has been around for some time.

Edited by Graham Boak

I'm going on Jim Landsdale's research in which he states that Mitsubishi originally went with the early war gray-green for the late-war scheme, but that at some point (also) began using a more bluish light gray for which he gives US Light Ghost Gray 36375 as an approximation. I'm not aware that this has been debunked. Feel free to enlighten me.

• Like 1