Free French (and Finnish) Blenheims

Do you remember this classic box art?

Classicboxart.jpg

Free French Blenheims bombing a target in Libya from an unfeasibly high altitude.   :D

As a kid I always wanted to build one of those but never got the chance.  Now I have that chance. 

I won't be using the classic kit, which owuld have been a good choice of the Airfix Golden Years GB.  Instead, I'll be using the new Airfix kit, which has a remarkably similar boxart.

FFB001.JPG

• Like 9

Oh, I remember that boxart very well ! It's always been one of my favourite, I found the combination of the desert scheme with the French roundels and the Cross of Lorraine very striking. I was very glad to see Airfix propose these markings again in their new tool Blenheim, looking forward to this build

• Like 1

I've yet to get myself any of the new Airfix Blenheims so I'll be watching this one closely Enzo, you may push me over the edge and cause a further increase in the Wez stash.

Good luck Enzo,.... I`ve just built the same kit on the MTO GB! I have included some reference photos if they are of any use to you,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 8:54 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Do you remember this classic box art?

Classicboxart.jpg

Free French Blenheims bombing a target in Libya from an unfeasibly high altitude.   :D

French crews were first class!!!! Altitude did not matter, Sir! 

JR

• Haha 1

I've made a bit of a mistake.   I've painted the wheel wells and built the wing without taking any photos. :banghead: 

I really should document those bits, so I think there's only one realistic course of action open to me.  I will have to start another Blenheim build and document the missing bits from the new build.

Expect a Finnish Blenheim I to join this thread shortly...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've made a bit of a mistake.   I've painted the wheel wells and built the wing without taking any photos. :banghead: 

I really should document those bits, so I think there's only one realistic course of action open to me.  I will have to start another Blenheim build and document the missing bits from the new build.

Expect a Finnish Blenheim I to join this thread shortly...

You're forever doing that!

Glad you've decided to pay a suitable pennance!

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

You're forever doing that!

I know!   It's not good behaviour for a group build moderator...   But I'm gonna look on the bright side. I get to start another build. :wicked:

• Haha 2

Best I crack on with them, then...   :bounce:

Here is the boxart for the Blenheim I.

Fin001.JPG

The basic contents of both boxes are identical.

Blen001.JPG

Blen002.JPG

Blen003.JPG

Blen004.JPG

As you can see from the second photo, both the short and long cockpit sections are provided.

Differences between the boxings are the transparencies and an additional sprue with belly gunpacks which is provided for any boxing which provides for a fighter version.

• Like 1

Start off with the wings.  There are two spars which provide a very robust structure.

Blen005.JPG

The wing interiors were sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1010 Aircraft Grey-Green and then assembled.

Blen006.JPG

The main fuselage interior was also sprayed Aircraft Grey-Green

Blen007.JPG

and then assembled.

Blen008.JPG

Blen009.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Enzo,

Looks like you are building Finnish Blenheim from IV series (during Winter War delivered ex-RAF Blenheims BL-134 to BL-145), as cockpit interior is interior green and no mention to changes of the bomb hatches?

Cheers,

AaCee

The Mk.IV will be the French aircraft.  The Finnish aircraft will be a Mk.I.  My intention is to build BL-189 in August 1944.  What was the cockpit colour of that aircraft and were there any changes to the bomb hatches?

Hi Enzo,

I should have clarified, that Finnish "series IV" means locally built Mk I. Finnish long-noses were "series III" (British built) and "series VI" (locally built partially from Jugoslavian Ikarus parts and rest domestically made).

Series I was British Mk Is and series II locally-built Mk I.

BL-189 was from Finnish built series V and it had longer bomb bays. They were lengthened forward, medium grey interior, different landing lights on wing tip and some added small windows on fuselage sides and gunner roof hatch. For example SBS decal sheet instructions shows them. Gunner's mg was a Browning IIRC.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Added gunner's mg type
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks AaCee, that's very useful information.

It's not too late for me to change the cockpit colour.  That's the beauty of multiple builds.  I'm building a thord Blenheim behind the scenes and not part of this GB.  I haven't got round to painting the cockpit components on it yet. 

I've also put in an order for a set of resin extended bomb bay doors. 

A quick question for those more knowledgeable than me   @AaCee26   @vppelt68

I am building BL-189 in 1944.  Would the undersurfaces be light grey or RLM65 blue?  I have seen both colours mentioned in different references.

Well, if Kuivalainen Decals has had Pentti Manninen of InScale72 Production and the editor of SIL (the Finnish Aviation Historical Magazine) to do the research for this set here you're very safe with the DN-colour! :popcorn: . V-P EDIT: DN-colour = RLM 65

• Like 1