1/48th Special Hobby Spitfire Mk.Vc, Group de Recce, II/33 Savoie, Free French, N. Africa.,.. and an Aussie!

tonyot

Tony,

Sorry to hear about your continuing back problems, I hope you can get to the next phase of treatment very soon.

As for the Spitfires, they are coming along beautifully, I'm also really pleased you've got over the decal issue for the French aircraft, can't wait to see both of them finished.

Hiya Folks,

A bit more progress,..... the RAAF Spit is now ready for its decals;

DSCF4977DSCF4977DSCF4978

And I`ve added the first coat of Dark Earth to the French Spit;

DSCF4976

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Excellent modelling, Tony ...

As many others have said, I’m very sorry to hear about your back - I hoped that after your last operation it was fixed.

Anyhoo ...  very best wishes for the next one.  PLEASE keep modelling, I think your postings are pretty well the best modelling ‘course’ one could hope for!

Jonny

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,..... wow,.... I don`t know what to say!

Re the back,..... it is never going to get better,..... the damage is done,...... but it is getting worse. My damaged discs which are a result of my parachute accident keep giving way or displacing and it is the displacing discs which are touching my spinal cord, causing massive leg, foot and of course back pain. The last op a year or so ago was to try to rectify damage done when the previous op failed after a few days,...... and now it looks like I need yet another,......... but hey,.... what can you do eh!  

Onwards and upwards with the Spits at least and thanks so much for the good wishes everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,.... a bit more,...... I`ve added an oil collector ring to the Aussie Spitfire using plastic card,....which still needs to be sanded down and shaped properly;

DSCF4989

DSCF4991

DSCF4987

I`ve also added another coat of Dark Earth to the French Spit;

DSCF4985

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Hiya Folks,..... slowly getting there,..... the paintwork on the French Spit is finished now with a final coat of Dark Earth and the yellow stripes and fin;

DSCF5022DSCF5021

I`ve added a coat of Humbrol 35 gloss varnish and left the model to dry for a couple of days,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got the decals onto the French Spit,..... although the fin decals have been a bit of a bind,...... I hate applying French fin stripes when the decals are quite brittle and the the shark mouth was hard work too!

DSCF5027

DSCF5028

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

The French Spitfire looks great, it's maybe the combination of the desert scheme with red spinner, yellow bands and the French markings that make it one of my favourite subjects

Thanks Giorgio,

Yes I`m the same, plus the shark mouth, mission markings and the 6 stack exhausts too,...... just an interesting Spit!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I have to say, I too love the French markings, it looks rakish and as though it's had everything and the kitchen sink thrown at it in terms of markings.

• Like 1

Sure a very interesting Spit ! Late Mk.Vs are very intriguing as they showed several features usually associated with later variants. Markings variations in the MTO were also common, I'd like one day to see a book devoted only to late MTO Spitfires, would be full of interesting stuff.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 9:12 AM, Giorgio N said:

Sure a very interesting Spit ! Late Mk.Vs are very intriguing as they showed several features usually associated with later variants. Markings variations in the MTO were also common, I'd like one day to see a book devoted only to late MTO Spitfires, would be full of interesting stuff.

Cheers Giorgio,... and yes I agree,.... a book about late MTO Spitfire`s would be very interesting,...... there are many gaps in our current knowledge on the theatre as a whole and also with the Spits based there.

I`ve done a bot more on the French Spit,..... but I`ve given up on the rudder decals which are very,...very delicate and decided to paint it instead,.... starting with a white base coat;

DSCF5030

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,.... I know that the GB has finished but I`ll finish off the WIP here anyway!

Here is the Aussie Spit with the decals applied,...... the K under the nose was made up from a black square and a spares box white letter. As per the original aircraft the black anti glare panel has been heavily scuffed up,.....using sanding sticks to reveal the silver underneath;

DSCF5087DSCF5088_NEW

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... also,.... the French Spit is finished,... as the real aircraft had heavy exhaust staining this was replicated using MiG Pigment Powders brushed on;

DSCF5083_NEWDSCF5084_NEWDSCF5085DSCF5075_NEWDSCF5077_NEW

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Nice work Tony. The French machine looks great but every time I see your silver Aussie machine I'm tempted to go get the kit off the shelf of my LMS for the same purpose :wub: 

• Like 1

Tony, cracking job with the French Spit', hope it can be joined by the Aussie one soon too.

It's a shame you couldn't get them finished within the timescales of the GB but at least you've finished one and will soon be finishing the other which is better than me.  Thanks for taking part in the GB, always a joy to see your work.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind remarks folks,..... glad you like the French Spit,....... now here is the Aussie Spit finished too;

DSCF5118_NEW_NEWDSCF5126_NEW_NEWDSCF5110_NEW_NEWDSCF5102_NEW_NEW

I`ll stick a RFI in later,....

Cheers

Tony

Wow!  It was looking so much cleaner earlier, I like the end result, nicely weathered.

Two brilliant Spitfires, well done Tony.