I need help

Sorry to disappoint, but for now, I will most likely be away from the forums and modelling at large. In short, it is something that although enjoyable, is simply too frustrating. The last time I finished a build was 4 months ago, a P-26 from Revell. Since then, at least have a dozen kits have made the bin. To date that makes

2x 1/72 F-82

2x 1/72 Hawker Fury

RPM 1/72 PWS-26

Airfix 1/72 OS2U

Revell 1/72 P-36

Monogram 1/72 P-40N

Heller 1/72 Bloch 200

Revell 1/48 P-40B

Hasegawa 1/71 A6M2, KI-44. B5N

Leaving my shelves filled with mere but 

2x Revell 1.72 P-26

Revell 1/48 SBD

LS 1/72 Ki-43

Hasegawa P-40 Egg

LS 1/144 H8K

and a few various 1/72 halftracks

In short, I have trashed far more than I have finished and I simply can't continue to justify the time and money that modelling takes when every time I come near to finishing a kit, it ends up in the trash or scrapped.

Most of these issues have occurred because of painting issues, and occasionally build issues, such as trying to put the wingtip floats on the Airfix OS2U. I simply could not get them to line up, much less stay on- superglue couldn't even hold them.

I'm mostly concerned with the painting issue, as for a long time, I had no issues, but recently, I just can't seem to get results. I switched to higher quality brushes, and initially this went well, but lately I can't seem to paint to save my life and the brand I used before is no longer accessible because the only hobby shop within an hour of me closed and they aren't available online. 

Would it make more sense to paint more parts individually and them glue them to the main fuselage? Such as stabilizers, wing tops, etc? 

Thanks. Tweener.

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

Have you really totally messed up those kits or are you being over critical of yourself?

Most modellers tend to see faults in their own work. Don't bin them..reduce them to the spares box.

Can't give any advice as you don't say what causes it to end up in the trash. Paint?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Have you really totally messed up those kits or are you being over critical of yourself?

Most modellers tend to see faults in their own work. Don't bin them..reduce them to the spares box.

Can't give any advice as you don't say what causes it to end up in the trash. Paint?

For the most part it is admittedly being far too critical, perhaps per result of seeing so many amazing finishes on kits that I am also building, but can't seem to match. Of course, that's the joys of not having an airbrush, but even then, I can not seem to even get a straight line even with masking tape, so perhaps it is both.

Post is corrected, my apologies for the lack of info.

1 minute ago, Tweener said:

so many amazing finishes on kits that I am also building, but can't seem to match.

Don't!

You'll drive yourself mad.

I have been sticking plastic together for over 50 years and even if I live another 50,I would never reach the standard of paint finish seen on some models in here so I don't try.

Up until 2 weeks ago I didn't own an airbrush. The one I bought is still in the box although I have got as far as reading the assembly instructions.

The hobby is supposed to be fun and personally if I am happy with a finished model (last one was about a year ago!) I don't care what others think. (perhaps I do hence my lack of RFI on here?)

• Like 9

Have to agree with @Scimitar here. This should be an enjoyable escape rather than a stick to beat yourself with. Most people are far harder on themselves than anyone else would be - I’d bet those 13 binned models you’d have eyed more kindly if someone else showed them to you as their work

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up mate, to my way of thinking trying to match some of the builds on here is like trying to knock down a brick wall with your head.. I'm happy enough with my modelling skills and how they have developed over the last few years. Take a few steps back get a cheap kit(or one of the binned ones) and use it to practise on..small improvements will shine through believe me,try different paint,try thinning them down try anything and everything... there's no harm done if things dont work out as planned just try something different 👍

• Like 5

I've had an airbrush for at least 30 years. I used it once within the first couple years of ownership. I also haven't completed any of about 6 kits that I have started in that time. Right now, I've been at an Airfix 1/72 Hurricane rag-wing since the end of January. Still haven't joined wings to fuselage yet. Soon, though. Not sure if I'll use the airbrush or hairysticks. We'll see. Either way, if I ever finish it, I'll be posting pictures here, regardless of the crap mess I'll probably make of it. I'll be chuffed just to have finished one.

Don't turf a kit. Reduce for reuse. I've still got spare parts from the 1970's in my parts store.

Take a break. Read a book or two. Go out and have a few drinks with family/friends. The lure of styrene and cement will call you back eventually.

Chris

• Like 3

Learning to build models really well is a never-ending process and sometimes we forget just how much cumulative trial and tribulation has gone on when we see some of the fantastic completed builds on this site. In many cases, these are done by people who have finished hundreds of kits over many years. In model building, there really is no substitute for patience and experience. So maybe your goals for each build should change a little bit; challenge yourself to learn something new or to do something a little better than the last time with every new model. This maybe as simple as hiding seams a little better, or putting on decals without silvering or wrinkling, or anything else that you think you need to work on. You will find that improvements will probably be incremental. Sometimes, it may even seem like you are going backwards, but if you keep at it, and actively trying to be a little better at everything that goes into completing a kit, you will start to notice a difference between the new kits you complete and the ones you finished a while ago. That is how to gauge your progress; if you always compare your builds to somebody else's, rest assured there will always be somebody else who's better at it than you are.

An analogy might be helpful. Unless you are Wolfgang Mozart, you wouldn't expect to be able to sit down at a piano one day and, without instruction just start playing like a virtuoso. Even with years of instruction and practice, you may become very proficient at playing the piano, but you still won't be Mozart.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 5

Tweener,

I also have to agree with scimitar. I'm 67 and been slamming plastic together since I was 7 years old. I was in my late 30's before I bought an air brush and started to expand on my building. I'd gather as much information as possible on the subject to construct. I've had left over bits and pieces and broken kits from traveling or unexpected failures. For the last 20 years I've ventured in unfamiliar territory. Learning to free hand painting, weathering and using things I'd never thought of in this hobby to make what I see in the reference material. I don't have any real tips for you. I asked questions in clubs I was a member of and read lots of different books. Just have to see what fits your subject and slowly start the process and try not to rush the completion. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

I have just been in the hobby for four years, the last time I built kits was when I was 11 or 12.

After getting back into it Thors hammer came crashing down on 2 of my first 5 models and they ended up binned, now I put it to one side, have a cigar and sulk but I will not go back to it until the next day at the earliest.

There is a mine of information on this site, use it, we all love passing on our knowledge knowing we may be helping someone.

Do not give up, be self critical, we all are but know when to walk.

And don't forget, it is a hobby, not open heart surgery so if you make a mistake it can usually be sorted.

I hope you win your fight with your demons tweener.

• Like 4

Hello @Tweener ... Like others have said forget trying to match what you see here. Build a kit for you and only for you. Try only to make yourself happy. A good standard should be can i still look at this model and be happy next week ? Next month ? Thats the goal. Believe me over time your skills will advance and you will get to that level.

But dont give up its a hobby meant to relax not stress. If a model is stressing you out. Box it set it aside. Work on something else until you think you can take on the challenge that stopped you. The builders of those models you are trying to match im sure would tell you they aren't satisfied with something about it. They just learned to accept nothing will ever be 100% perfect. 

Dennis 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its a bit hard to say what is going wrong without seeing what you have actually done. Scimitar is almost certainly right that you are beating yourself up un-necessarily. If you want to progress, probably the best thing you can do is to start a work in progress, invite constructive criticism along the way and post small but regular updates. Take people's criticism on board and if in doubt ask for advice before taking the next step with the model. I for one will try and help you.

Martian 👽 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think you will find the modelling community here will be supportive and helpful. Why don't you start a kit and post it here as you go. I bet that there are ten helpful comments for every sour one. That way you will learn as you go.

Like many of the guys above, I started building kits 100 years ago and i'm still learning.

• Like 2

The way I see it, even if you bugger something up on a kit, finish it anyway and see it as a 'practice run' for techniques. 

Fix a problem area best you can and continue with the build.

It's not possible to master modelling instantly, or even ever and there is always room for improvement.

Putting pressure on yourself to create perfection will stop you enjoying the modelling process.

• Like 3

Never quit. Anything. 

I was rubbish at painting, and compared to many on here I still am. This forum is inspirational at times and full of great tips, but if you let it, seeing some of the pro standard builds could demoralise you. But it shouldn't. I don't quit playing football because I'll never be as good as Ronaldo. 

Someone else's success is not your failure. 

Tips I got from here have made me better; I now paint interiors, wheel wells, oleos, etc first, I use masking tape for straight lines, allow enough time for drying. Use liquid glue not tube cement, I fill and sand gaps, and almost always use a spray can to paint large surface areas, with brushes just for detail. 

Just enjoy it, it's a great and creative hobby. 

• Like 1

Hello Tweener,

I fully agree with my Fellow BM'ers !

I'm also too critic on my builds, but little by little I'm a little bit less though on myself.

I know that I probably never will attain the level of some of the masters here on the forum..

I try to do my best and I take pleasure in doing so... 

Don't forget to swear when something went wrong, it help !

You will find help here, show us what you are achieving, so that way, you'll receive constructive advices !

Don't give up modelling !

And welcome in this forum, to be crazy is not mandatory but it help !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Like 2

Corsaircorp misleads you; it is mandatory to be crazy round here and if you weren't when you started, it won't be long before you are. Look what happened to me, I was a member of the human race when I joined, I'm now officially a fully fledged extra-terrestrial! Wibble.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

I have to agree with every varied and encouraging comment on this thread. But for the best advise I have to quote @Lord Riot when he says "Never quite. Anything" and "Just enjoy it, it's a great and creative hobby"

I have come back into the hobby after many many years, and the mistakes continue! What I get from here is encouragement to push on and rectify, and most things are solvable. I would be telling a downright lie however if I said I had never binned a kit. I have a good few, but what I do is later on, make a start on a new version of the same one! I can also honestly say that every model I finish, I can look back at and spot things I feel could have been better, or more accurate. Its what we do!

Keep modelling!

Terry

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the support. I do seem to be missing the point of modelling once more - to have fun. Perhaps I'll go a little crazy with that Stearman I stashed away a few months back to get back to the fun of it all. While I do think I will be taking a few weeks away anyways, I have made a little bit of progress on the Minicraft Early Type Lockheed Ventura. Very little inside detail, sadly, and as much as I would love to add detail to it, most of that detail would be the bombardiers station, which I won't dare to attempt just yet for risk of damaging the clear nose. On the note of Lockheed products, could anyone tell me what the differences between Hudson Variants were, specifically the A-28. 29, and PBO-1? Photo's would be especially helpful.

Back to the point - I'll try to get photos of that Ventura up on Monday. I'm not quite sure how I'll paint it just yet (Given that I am painting it to represent a B-34. my options are limited. If only I could convert it to a B-37 and do OD / NG 🤔

Would that not only require the gun tunnels to be added, and maybe a slight cowl change? And does anyone know where I could get the proper cowl, if such was needed? I know how I could add the side guns already.

Thanks again, for everything. I'm glad I finally decided to sign up here. Hopefully it becomes a real journey.

• Like 2

Tweener get yourself some Airfix kits, the new mould ones.  Hurricane, Spitfire, P-40, zero etc.

DON'T try to emulate any of the good modellers you see here , you WILL go mad.  I have.  I dream of being as good a modeller as Navy Bird and some of the other blokes you will find getting around these pages.

Remember if it will go wrong it will, you can bet your testicles on it.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

I am about to tackle a Mach 2 X-24.  I don't know what drugs I am on to even think about building this kit.

Also the people here will only be too glad to help you out.

My 2 bobs worth. 

Stephen 

• Like 3