Help needed with homemade washes ?

Hello everyone ... Looking for tips on how to produce a homemade wash for an overall effect. Not just spot weathering or staining ? I already make weathering washes using about 80% water, 15% klear/Future, & 5% acrylic paint to get the color. 

Dennis

I'm not 100% sure what you mean Dennis, is it pin/panel wash you are referring to?

If so, as I use acrylic paint, I buy cheap oil paints, thin them down enormously in 'low odour oil thinner' until it's as thin as water. I have a few different colours such as dirty mid grey; mucky brown and a dark (but not black). Obviously if you don't use acrylic paint then I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself, will be along soon to but you right.

Dead simple to do and quite cheap – I picked up a load of oils when they were in a sale at £1 each and you only need to use a tiny bit.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

homemade wash for an overall effect.

A little bit ambiguous that:). What sort of effect are you after?

For a general all-purpose ‘sludge’ wash, I knocked up a brown grey coloured one using artists’ watercolour paints and gouache. I just mixed colours randomly until happy with it. Add a bit of distilled water, and you’re good to go.

Same thing can be achieved with ground down soft artists’ pastels and water, but add a tiny drop of washing up liquid/ dish soap to improve the flow. Try to get soft pastels as they usually have more pigment in (the hard pastels contain more binder).

Homebrew wash in action…

21PjEkk.jpg

7BECsen.jpg

Here’s a different take on your weathering wash.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/261541.page

Ignore the fact that it’s aimed at wargaming figures, and think of it as a general weathering wash which can be made to any colour you desire. I’ve used this wash for smaller areas of weathering/filtering and cockpit interiors. The initial materials will cost you more than a ready made wash, but once bought should last forever.

Mart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just keep in mind that a water based sludge wash on a glossy surface won’t do much to the overall tone. It’ll fill in the panel lines lovely, but just wipes off the main areas.

On a satin or matt surface it can stain, tone and give random results which can be a help or a hindrance, depending on what sort of finish you’re after. I quite like the random effect on a satin finish, and if used in conjunction with other effects like pre/post shading or salt/hairspray, can give all sorts of arty-farty finishes.:D

Mart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1