Thoughts on Mig's Aircobra, anyone?

armored76

Hello,

I was wondering if someone already tested Mig's new Aircobra airbrush and can deliver first-hand, non-sponsored insights on it. Especially, the usage with acrylics is something where other manufacturers struggle.

To my understanding the brush itself is manufactured by Badger but is not a simple re-branded copy of one of their products. Which Bdager airbrush would come closest to the Aircobra components- and handling-wise?

Thanks!

Cristian

“made in the USA with 100% American materials. All of this in a package inspired by the aesthetics of the golden age of the 1980´s.”:hmmm: (I’m trying not to laugh!)

Other than the size of thread on the air supply, textured trigger?, and the paint flow ‘dial in’ adjustment, I’m not sure it’s much different. Unless you’re into fancy anodising colours, and having a MIG emblazoned “airbrush specifically designed for modelers”:lol:.

Mart

• Like 2

I do believe (although I could be wrong), that this is the same airbrush that UMP Retail also sell branded as their own. It comes without the adjustable flow control handle though. 

If so, I've got one. It's a decent brush. 

Edited by March
  • Like 2

Thank you, @March!

I might be missing the nuances of the word "decent" (sorry, no native speaker) but, does this mean "it does the job but it's not the ultimate brush"? I mean, the Aircobra sells at the same price with the H&S Evolution which was described as a high-end brush (and I must agree with that, minus the behavior with acrylics) so, I wonder if there is any difference in quality between the two.

Thanks again!

Cristian

Edited by armored76

12 hours ago, armored76 said:

does this mean "it does the job but it's not the ultimate brush"?

Yes, near enough. Better than average, good, but not the best.

If your heart’s really set on the Mig airbrush, it may be better to wait until there are more ‘non-sponsored’ reviews out there. I do think that most of the cost is due to the branding, rather than the performance. Personally, I’d rather buy an airbrush from a dedicated airbrush manufacturer.

Mart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By way of a very quick overview of my UMP one, the things that I appreciate about it are the wide bottomed colour cup which makes cleaning easier, I've found mine to be well made, decent quality parts and spare parts (via the UMP website) are easy to obtain and at reasonable costs. The reversible nozzle cap for fine work is also a nice touch. I personally would like the option of the adjustable handle (which the Mig has) and a better colour cup lid. I've used mine for all sorts of work, from priming, painting, fine painting and lacquering. I'm mainly using it for acrylics these days. 

In use, I've had no major issues. I've got several Iwata (Eclipse, High Performance-CS & Hi-Line and H&S (Ultra and Infinity) brushes too, and I'd take this over the similarly priced H&S. By way of disclaimer, my favourite brushes tend to be the Iwata's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I can't believe I just read this. Harder and steenbeck evolution is NOT made in Taiwan by airtex. Harder and steenbeck make their own brushes in their factory in Germany. The evolution line is the most sold and popular selling airbrush out of their whole line up. Saying it's made somewhere else by someone else is the biggest insult.