1/700th Flyhawk HMS Naiad 1940 (Limited Edition)

Hi chaps,

This is Flyhawk's excellent 1/700th HMS Naiad, Dido-class light cruiser built for the May issue of Airfix Model World magazine. A lovely little model, beautifully moulded with a LOT of tiny parts, brass barrels, yardarms and PE. I didn't have time to add a 3D printed crew unfortunately, so they'll be manning another ship in the near future. Airbrushed using a mixture of Lifecolor's RN World War II 'Eastern Approaches' and Hulls and Wooden Decks sets, some Colourcoats enamels and AK's Naval weathering washes. Rigged as usual using Uschi's 'Superfine' and 'Standard' lines.

I must admit I enjoy these tiddlers, they're fun to build and pretty straightforward really, just a bit of patience masking and rigging....certainly not cheap, particularly the 'Limited Run' versions as here, but well worth the effort. Plenty more in the pipeline.

Thanks for looking and hope you like it :cheers:

Melchie

2-_DSC_0856-001.jpg

4-_DSC_0858-001.jpg

5-_DSC_0865-001.jpg

3-_DSC_0851-001.jpg

It really is a tiddler, not a lot longer than the paintbrush. Humbrol tin is only there for scale and wasn't used in the build.

1-_DSC_0864-001.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 60

I saw this in AMW and was seriously impressed.  its not until you see that last photo that you realise quite how much has been packed into a tiny space.  but then these were small cruisers.  50ft shorter than the Leander class and 100 ft shorter than BELFAST.  I've been looking at how I could create one in 1/600 but the surgery required to a BELFAST hull is simply too great.  I might get away with it on an AJAX hull but they're like hens teeth.

Now if only Flyhawk would scale it up to 1/350th...

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very kind of you,

Kev, for some reason I prefer working on these smaller scaled warships to tackling the larger versions, though I enjoy both to be honest, it's all down to time. The editor has given me a couple of seriously large battleships to finish for the magazine along with all the aftermarket but to do them justice they are both going to have to be long-term projects, (no fixed deadlines). For myself, I managed to snag a Tamiya Scharnhorst for a fiver at a show recently so decided to go the full hog and get hold of the Flyhawk sets and wooden deck, heavily discounted, from a friend in Bejing. I'm seriously impressed at just how much detail is included with that lot so I may well post the build here if I have the time, (also a Fuso and Hood).

Chewie, you're spot on, the Didos were a very small class and probably could do with being scaled up to 1/350th, it wouldn't exactly hog the cabinet. Good luck with recreating one in 1/600th, that would make for a very interesting project, look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

• Like 1

Well done Sir - Huzzah!

I assume this story will be on the cover of the magazine and that this is indeed a cover story. Or is the story about the magazine a cover-up? A cover story regarding a cover story if you will!

• Like 1

She's looking superb there General! Really like the choice of colours for the camo.

Would you look at signal flags with an appropriate message on them for your next ship? Something witty perhaps?

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Now if only Flyhawk would scale it up to 1/350th...

Flyhawk are starting out into the 1/350 world (with HMS Prince of Wales I think,) who knows what other ships they'll scale up, fingers and toes crossed!

Again, Fantastic stuff Sir well done!

Geoff

• Like 2

Good lord, Buzzsaw my man..... (who the deuce let him stumble into this trench? guards, guards!)

I assume this story will be on the cover of the magazine and that this is indeed a cover story. Or is the story about the magazine a cover-up? A cover story regarding a cover story if you will!

Ah, no this is the clever bit, it doesn't appear on the cover, because it is just that, a cover story. If it did then it would be too obvious and their weasel spies would get wind of it and the game would be up. Doing precisely the same thing we've done 18 times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time, it'll put the villainous hun right orf his guard... (thanks Steve, appreciated :winkgrin:)

Cheers Geoff, the colours proved interesting and following a great deal of research that included reading Alan Raven's superb Warship Perspectives books, (even he changed his thoughts on the supposed green/brown/ light grey scheme to this after new info came to light) as well as chatting with others on the ship forums I decided to go with this one. Re the flags... I'll see what I can come up with, it'll be suitably inappropriate of course!

The PoW will be a superb first foray into the 1/350th world, I have a funny feeling one may well be coming this way. Personally, I'd like them to have a bash at the twin oilers, Rodney and Nelson.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful piece of work and a cracking paint job.  I would love to build the Naiad, she's a lovely ship,, but having seen the reviews and the size of some of the parts I'm afraid it's not on.  Well done, that man!

• Like 1

Amazing work there Melchie, not just construction but the finishing as well.  I have the non-'limited edition' version, although it still has a bit of etch railing and other bits. I started it in the MTO GB before the current one, but some parts were missing, so put it to one side till  I got the missing bits (thank you Mike from Starling models).

I'll have to revisit this soon, but I'm going to do her in the repaint she had in the Med before her sinking.

By the way, I rarely buy Magazines but bought this one because of your build (also the WnW Dolphin!), didn't realise it was you! (you'll get me buying an Airfix Wimpy next 🙄)

:goodjob:

Davey

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very kind words,

I have the non-'limited edition' version, although it still has a bit of etch railing and other bits. I started it in the MTO GB before the current one, but some parts were missing, so put it to one side till  I got the missing bits (thank you Mike from Starling models).

It's a great little kit Davey, hope you manage to finish it...glad you got the parts via Mike as it's well worth the effort.

By the way, I rarely buy Magazines but bought this one because of your build (also the WnW Dolphin!), didn't realise it was you! (you'll get me buying an Airfix Wimpy next )

That's great to hear, I'll pass on to the editor. He realised that far more maritime subjects were needed in the mag and I'm only too happy to oblige. We have plenty more in the works, in several scales, hopefully catering to many tastes. Naval subjects have been sadly neglected for a while but that's changing now.

Cheers Chris.....it's easily 1/350th quality, just miniaturised by those clever folks at Flyhawk.  :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hello general,

I enjoyed studying your HMS Niad. What a perfectly finished model.

My highest compliments on this little gem. Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:58, general melchett said:

That's great to hear, I'll pass on to the editor. He realised that far more maritime subjects were needed in the mag and I'm only too happy to oblige. We have plenty more in the works, in several scales, hopefully catering to many tastes. Naval subjects have been sadly neglected for a while but that's changing now.

That's encouraging.  Having collected AMW since Issue 1 I was about to give it up if I saw yet another month where it was Mirage after Mirage or obscure Swedish jet thing that no-one's ever heard of and no mention of maritime modelling.  I spoke to the previous editor at the Yeovilton show about 2 years ago and his comment was that maritime didn't sell magazines.  I asked him on what he based that statement and he responded by saying just look at the number of Airfix new ship releases in the past 5 years.  A good friend of mine is Malcolm Lowe who contributes widely to that magazine and I know he's been lobbying Chris on the maritime behalf so it looks as if the message has gotten through.  I even got one of mine in last month's issue on the Vikings Show report page.

• Like 1

Excellent work again Andy of an excellent kit - BTW They are actually they are excellent value for money, as the Brass and Etch were included as well as exquisitely finely moulded injection parts equivalent to the Nano add-on parts some producers do as after market sets. An equivalent Trumpeter or Japanese Waterline kit would be the same price. plus the same again for matching aftermarket part.

• Like 1

That's encouraging.  Having collected AMW since Issue 1 I was about to give it up if I saw yet another month where it was Mirage after Mirage or obscure Swedish jet thing that no-one's ever heard of and no mention of maritime modelling.  I spoke to the previous editor at the Yeovilton show about 2 years ago and his comment was that maritime didn't sell magazines.  I asked him on what he based that statement and he responded by saying just look at the number of Airfix new ship releases in the past 5 years.

All very true Chewy, That's simply not a good enough reason not to include what is, after all, a very popular side of the hobby in the magazine. The sheer number of excellent maritime kits coming through now is a testament to how seriously the manufacturers take the subject...so to my mind (and the current editors), more space should and will be devoted to the subject. You will definitely be seeing a wider range of ship models featured by us in future...my 'to do' pile is growing by the month!

A good friend of mine is Malcolm Lowe who contributes widely to that magazine and I know he's been lobbying Chris on the maritime behalf so it looks as if the message has gotten through.  I even got one of mine in last month's issue on the Vikings Show report page.

Well, it's having an effect, though in fairness Chris has wanted to include more ship builds for quite some time. Malcolm is busy writing many of the article pieces to accompany the kit builds as you know, his knowledge is extensive and he has access to a lot of archive information (not only ships but also aviation of course). Fortunately, we also now have several folks who either flew, sailed, designed or built the real things writing detailed articles to accompany the builds, adding true expertise and hopefully bringing the subject alive, rather than just page after page of random models. All this is hopefully heading in the direction of the 'good old days' of modelling magazines when they were full of interesting and informative articles, written by experts and including those wonderful exploded view drawings!   

Hi Geoff, thanks again, you're spot on...these models are amazing value when you consider what's included in the box. Many of the finely detailed IM parts are on a par with the finest resin pieces, not sure how they do it. Another company that springs to mind is Kajika, (a partner or subsidiary of Flyhawk) who manage to include even more goodies, wooden decks, beautifully engraved base, brass masts, etc. Although the initial outlay seems quite high it's a lot cheaper than forking out for all these sets individually. The sense of achievement gained from finishing these kits is also well worth the admission fee! 

Hope you're fit and well mate, saw Martin at the Coventry show and he mentioned that you were on hols with Joe...caught the weather just right...

That is an excellent finish General Sir. I thoroughly enjoyed the magazine article too. I have the kit in the stash and hope to get a result like yours! Your rigging is especially good, and definitely an area I need to improve on.

I am looking forward to more Maritime in the magazine,

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, appreciated. Like most things in life with a bit of practice, rigging isn't nearly the 'Black Art' some would have you believe. Just have a plan and stick to it, start from the inside and work out. The most useful tools for the job I find are Uschi's 'Superfine' rigging line, a quality Head Loupe LED magnifier, desk mounted hobby lamp with daylight tube, a Flexi-file CA applicator tool, 20-second cure CA and a bit of patience...then off you go. As I say, plenty more to come in a variety of subjects.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

my 'to do' pile is growing by the month!

Happy to help 😁 though my speciality is to take aged Airfix 1/600 and try to turn them into something half decent,; I'm not really into modern kits.  That said, I was given the Atlantic models 1/350 ARROW and NEWCASTLE for Fathers Day to be built as two of my former ships, ALACRITY and GLASGOW.  In fairness, the thing that has also put me off talking to AMW about doing some builds for them is the photography requirement.  Though I can build the models, write the words and take a decent model photo, I've never quite managed to get that seamless white or blue background that they seem to want.

23 minutes ago, general melchett said:

The most useful tools for the job I find are Uschi's 'Superfine' rigging line, a quality Head Loupe LED magnifier,

The challenge I find with this or any other elastic rigging line is that the tension is so much that they bend brass yard arms or mastheads which is why these days I tend to revert back to extended sprue.  Any tips you've got as to how to get the rigging line in place without bending the mast the minute you let go of the free end would be appreciated.

• Like 1