Sanding and polishing

godzilla

Hi guys, returning to modelling and just wanted to ask about doing body paintwork properly! Previously I always just slapped it on with a brush and it looked ok but not great :) 

I recently got some Tamiya car kits and paints etc and after some reason I have come to this:

1. Sand down the moulding lines and rough up the surface with some 600 grit

2. Couple of coats of primer

3. A few coats of colour 

4. Couple of coats of clear

5. Wet sand with 3000 grit

6. Polish (with something like zero paints polish or Tamiya polish compound)

7. Wax

Does this just about sum up what I need to do to get a great finish? In the past I never even bothered sanding so I am a bit worried about screwing up by missing a step :D 

Thanks!

I avoid putting too much primer on (just enough to get even coverage). Obviously if I need to re-sand an area I'll give it another coat of primer on that area, but otherwise I just give it a nice coat with Mr. Surfacer 1200 (personal choice) and check for issues. If everything is ok I go on to paint (even coverage). If no problems appear I go on to clear/varnish. After that wet sand, polish, wax (just make sure the primer/paint/varnish are perfectly cured or you'll make yourself more work than necessary when trying to sand the body). Happy modeling! 

Thanks :) Sounds like I am on the right track then! I was just a bit worried about using the wrong sandpaper or using it at the wrong time in the process.

I did buy a sacrificial kit which was cheap just to experiment on, so that will be my first victim haha