Well, finally I've finished this model. Many stops and problems of different types but I am more than satisfied with the final result.
As I was saying during the process, it's the first time that i'm looking for a finish in good condition, with minimal weathering effects, enough to give it some credibility.
To highlight the work of staging with water. I have used an unconventional technique, very hard work but I think the result is worth it. At first, i've modeled the whole sea scene in clay, which allows you to work without haste and design the image that i had in mind. Once the model was finished in clay, I made a two-component silicone mold (special for molds). Once the mold is made, fill it with a transparent bicomponent resin, stained with translucent tamiya acrylics. So far all good except for the "small" detail of wrong to use talcum powder as non-stick and clear, these were stuck to the resin. I had to cut and carve the entire surface of the water to remove the whitish layer of talc. After carving, sanding and polishing ... the result is not bad.

As for the model, it also gave me some problems ... especially in the final part when making the braces, something I had never done before.

Here are the photos of the model in its natural environment.

dsc_0211.jpg?w=800

dsc_0208.jpg?w=800

dsc_0207.jpg?w=800

dsc_0215.jpg?w=800

dsc_0190.jpg?w=800

dsc_0236.jpg?w=800

dsc_0247.jpg?w=800

dsc_0241.jpg?w=800

I hope you enjoy that!! 

More pics and process info in my blog. 

https://jamiegrahamworks.com/2018/06/14/pt-macchi-m-5-fly-1-48/

• Like 53
  • Thanks 4

Absolutely brilliant - love the very dynamic scene you have created and sea and waves are extremely realistic.   Your Macchi flying boat is spot on too.

One you should be really proud and I totally admire your skills on display here.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb modeling skills here! Beautifully done aircraft and probably the best water sculpting and painting I've ever seen. An exciting diorama that tells a story and gives a sense of what it must have been like to actually be there. Bravo sir!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for yours kind words!!! I always try to do something different in this hobby. To give another vision of modeling, more dynamic, more "artistic, in which the modeler is not a slave to the model, but the other way around." I do not believe that the only way to represent a model is to make an exact replica of the original model under standard conditions. It would be very boring to always see the same models, represented in the same way, with the same colors, etc... 

I've received some criticism about the lack of reality of the scene. As I have already mentioned, I had in mind to represent a sea scene in different conditions, with a new technique, and for me the fact that it was "normal" or not that this hydro could "landing" in these conditions, is perhaps the least important. In addition, who knows if there really were not extreme cirscustancias during the war in which happened similar actions. 

Thanks again for your comments!! 

• Like 2

I heartily agree with all your sentiments Jamie. There is a great deal of modelling by rote and it seems not enough room for artistic interpretation. I for one love your dynamic approach to this particular subject and look forward to more of the same. Well done 👍.

• Thanks 1