Hello from Yorkshire!

mattywheels

Morning everyone! Just a quick hello from me; I'm Matt, 36 and live in Sheffield.

Mines a familar story from the looks of things, but am looking to start modelling again following a break of about twenty years. A joke birthday present from my parents last month of a 1:72 Airfix Spitfire has rekindled my interest in scale modelling.

Will mostly be doing 1:72 aircraft and 1:35 AFV; fortunately found a few bits and pieces left over from my childhood that can get me started again!

Matt

• Like 1

Welcome Matt. If you want some face to face  modelling talk there is an IPMS branch in Rotherham, a n independent modelling club in Sheffield and a modelling meeting in Hemsworth at the library on alternate Saturday mornings where actual building takes place.

PM me if I can help further

20 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Welcome Matt. If you want some face to face  modelling talk there is an IPMS branch in Rotherham, a n independent modelling club in Sheffield and a modelling meeting in Hemsworth at the library on alternate Saturday mornings where actual building takes place.

PM me if I can help further

Many thanks for the welcome and the recommendations! Will certainly look these up once I get up and running (still gathering bits and pieces before I make a start).

• Like 1

Welcome aboard from someone who started his modelling career with Airfix kits bought at Redgates more years ago than I care to mention!

I'm further north these days, but if you're looking for a day trip to stock up and do some sightseeing, then both Halifax Model world in the Piece Hall, and Pennine Models in Haworth are well worth visiting!

All the best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Welcome aboard from someone who started his modelling career with Airfix kits bought at Redgates more years ago than I care to mention!

I'm further north these days, but if you're looking for a day trip to stock up and do some sightseeing, then both Halifax Model world in the Piece Hall, and Pennine Models in Haworth are well worth visiting!

All the best,

M.

Many thanks for the recommendations; I'm fairly new to Sheffield myself as moved up from London last year. Have been planning a trip to the Piece Hall for a while so I'll see if the wife fancies a trip next weekend...to purely see the Hall obviously...

• Like 1

Hello Matt ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Take your time and enjoy the build. Feel free to ask questions, as we were all new once upon a time. Free advice don't try to do everything on your first build. By that i mean dont try all the A/market goodies, or fancy techniques as you might get frustrated  and discouraged. Try one new thing per build and you will find it much easier/quicker to learn. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Matt. I spent several happy years in Sheffield at university and beyond (not to mention a miserable one or two courtesy of my first wife) and still visit as my brother lives there now. I then moved a bit further north to Leeds with a change in career and met and married a Yorkshire lass. Halifax Modellers World is worth a visit, but do not bother looking for a model shop in Leeds, which is otherwise reputed to be not bad for shopping. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and :welcome: to Britmodeller, Matt, it's a great place to be. As you stated; yours is a typical tale told here. you should fit in just fine. CFFU has given the best advice possible; he is correct. My name is Joe, live in the SE corner of Wisconsin, USA. My interests are 1/72nd scale aircraft, any era. I look forward to your builds, comments, and questions.

Joe

Hello Matt and a hearty welcome from a Britmodeller in France.  Like you I have joined recently (few weeks ago) after too long a break, and look forward to getting tips from more experienced modellers in the forum.

good luck

Steve