Cessna 150 - Revell 1/48

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Good luck!

Ian

Thanks Ian - your wishes helped! See below :) 

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Thatsthewaytodoit

Thanks Bill :D 

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

You're really demonstrating the how having the right tools allows you to build any subject Ced: the combination of home made masks and decals are showing their worth.

Thanks Cookie, I hope you're benefitting from the cutter too :) 

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

am thouroughly enjoying this build, but one thing puzzles me a little.

having seen the suave, laconic, young Ced in the cockpit, surely there must be room for a passenger?

perhaps there's a Princess in young Ced's life that would have joined him?

perhaps this Princess ........................

[snip picture]

I think you could dispense with the services of the two mechanics to her left, though. And the motley crew of musicians in the background probably wouldn't be needed.

Thanks John, very kind :D Nice collection of Lego!

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You are making a fine job of this build Ced!

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian, really appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Looks fantastic!!!

Thanks! :) 

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

...that's because he's a 'tool tart'. :giggle:

:rofl2: 

Stuart's comment is, of course, correct. I thought it might be worth some pictures:

42263542585_74f864b366_n.jpg 42263547845_c1b941ab3d_n.jpg

42263565915_789eb02a92_n.jpg 43168139671_4bde061637_n.jpg

28298290257_fb61da643e_n.jpg 28298304017_4953460c7a_n.jpg

41357756010_0c7859d41c_z.jpg

Any questions along the lines of 'what the heck is that?' welcome, and I'll try to remember.

I girded my loins this morning and cut the stripes with a new #15. Not too bad:

28298029597_74788f5237_z.jpg

… with just one small bit:

29296408718_9f79c7377a_z.jpg

Now all repaired and secured (I hope) with some DecalFix. That last shot makes me think I should get the Micro-mesh out. Maybe.

While that's drying I may as well do something else that needs to be left to dry:

43168052851_e8e6a3e357_z.jpg

Tailplanes on - they're straight, honest:

42449793314_41eeb90372_z.jpg

That was a bit fiddly - the parts meet inside the fuselage (snurf snurf) and had to be trimmed before they'd settle snugly.

Not far off now?

• Like 11

Thanks Giorgio :D Not quite decided what's next yet... another 1/48? I might do the Spitfire to see how I get on with the scale before the Lysander. Or I might pick something easy...

The engine is really fiddly... I haven't helped by cutting off one of the engine supports (tick = support, cross = chopped off) but in my defence they're not shown on the instructions:

29297499158_be821b5e13_z.jpg

I also want to get the cooler (circled) nicely in the hole BUT the exhausts, still not glued on, also need to go in these holes:

43118991202_0350056381_z.jpg

… and the bottom cowling (fnaar!) needs glueing to the fuselage. Cripes. Before that goes on the nose wheel needs to be fitted:

42264233195_2ae5650763_z.jpg

Done. And to avoid the engine I've also fitted the main wheels:

43119141142_1f075301d4_z.jpg

The locators are pretty good, but best to make sure they're level eh?

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Not quite decided what's next yet... another 1/48? I might do the Spitfire to see how I get on with the scale before the Lysander.

So we are dragging you to the Dark Side of the Force, aren't we? :devil: :rofl:  I'd love to see the Spit, FWIW :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I'd love to see the Spit, FWIW :winkgrin:

Me too! (even though the One True Scale will always be my first love!) 

I wonder if the main wheels were actually level on the real one?! I always wondered when doing a walkround on YF if it was actually leaning to one side -and if it was whether it was a wonky u/c or a slope on the apron....!! 

Looking good & should be finished soon, Sir Ced, Knight of Speedy Model Aeroplane building..... :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio :D I see it more as a small diversion...

Thanks Keith :) Two votes for the Spit? Oh, OK then, she will be done. I wonder if the pilot side of the 150 was always a bit more worn?

Finished. Final bits drove me mad. Like getting the engine in place (nightmare) and THEN finding she IS a tail sitter - a bad one:

42451145744_4ce9772f51.jpg 41359216060_73b4233c92.jpg

This and other problems (see below) means she's good enough for the ceiling but not for a close up view! This will therefore be the last we'll see of the engine:

28300311107_f9e2899187_z.jpg

43120282972_59758d444f_z.jpg

I also had to glue the cowling top on - despite lots of fiddling and sanding it just won't sit nicely and the stripes made it really obvious when out of position. Ceiling, good enough.

Off with the canopy masks:

28300704857_ac71e7cc02_z.jpg

41360097670_2292bab535_z.jpg

I have no idea how the paint got in, or what the yellow curly thing is. So, time to kill off the build:

42452470044_ed767d7f14_z.jpg

That'll teach it! Other way up:

29299553018_5e8c99b325_z.jpg

The 'natural' hanging position:

42266088915_926f6ed339_z.jpg

Well, it is an Aerobat.  A couple more shots and then we're done.

42452526854_73a8ac9f94_z.jpg

42452520764_2bc0fa12a0_z.jpg

Thanks as usual to everyone for your help, support and companionship during this build.

No RFI, not nice enough.

I'll post a link to the Spitfire WiP when I start it :) 

• Like 17

39 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Well done Ced, a lovely build sir.

A good Six Footer as they say.

Looking forward to your Spitfire.

Simon.

Agreed :smile:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Another nice one for the ceiling Ced, but....

....I think you've forgotten the wing rego's - legal requirement I believe...( on the real thing that is, not on little plastic ones aerobatting under the ceiling!! :) )

Good job

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice build Ced! Congrats! :)

Håkan

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

That turned really well, enjoyed your build immensely.

Looking forward to the Spitfire 

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

Wait no longer! Spitfire stared here.

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well done Ced, a lovely build sir.

A good Six Footer as they say.

Looking forward to your Spitfire.

Simon.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Agreed :smile:

Ciao

Thanks Simon and Giorgio :) Six footer? Is that something to do with the scale?

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Another nice one for the ceiling Ced, but....

....I think you've forgotten the wing rego's - legal requirement I believe...( on the real thing that is, not on little plastic ones aerobatting under the ceiling!! :) )

Good job

Keith

Thanks Keith :) I thought that too... but I could't find any photographs of underwing... also :lalala:

42 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Yes very nice. See, you can build in 1/48, now how about 1/32?

Also looking forward to the Spitfire.

John

John you are incorrigible! :) I do have a Wingnuts Camel in the stash... for later.

• Like 4

Well done Ced for persevering and the drastic surgery you put the poor crew through. I can see a human centipede diorama in one of your future WIP’s.  I’ve been following this one from the beginning.  I for one wouldn’t have seen it through to the end probably why I chose my name on here. It would’ve disappeared under a size 10 Adidas mashed into the man cave carpet. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

also :lalala:

And :tease: to you.... Wait till I grass you up to the CAA (Ceiling Aircraft Authority.... :winkgrin: )

Right, I''m off to amble over to see this Spitfire take shape, far too hot to rush...!!

Keith

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Unfinished project said:

Well done Ced for persevering and the drastic surgery you put the poor crew through. I can see a human centipede diorama in one of your future WIP’s.  I’ve been following this one from the beginning.  I for one wouldn’t have seen it through to the end probably why I chose my name on here. It would’ve disappeared under a size 10 Adidas mashed into the man cave carpet. 

Thanks u.p. - it did get close to the bin to be honest :) 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nah, it looks good from Six Foot, like all my builds LOL.

Simon

:rofl2: I'll hang it high!

42 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And :tease: to you.... Wait till I grass you up to the CAA (Ceiling Aircraft Authority.... :winkgrin: )

Right, I''m off to amble over to see this Spitfire take shape, far too hot to rush...!!

Keith

:rofl2: Take it easy Keith - I'm moving as slowly as a slow thing in slow land too :D 

"Ceiling Aircraft Authority", love it :D 

Bah no RFI. I thought she turned out really nicely. All those bespoke masks and painted idents and self made decals. I think you forget how good you are at this thing. Bravo Mr B. Looking forward to another BIGGER Spit. I’ll pop over right away. 🤩 probs about 5 pages in already.

Jont.

• Like 1

That was fun. Thanks for posting it. I liked seeing the LEGO being used as a jig. I’ve long advocated that to the dismay of some of my model-building mates who want nothing to do with the ‘L’ word. 😀

• Like 1

Thanks Jont, very kind. :) We possibly always see the bad bits on our models don't we?

Thanks Steve - you're welcome! :) For me Lego is great for this sort of thing. Although I have stands and jigs (of course) there's always the worry they'll be a bit askew; Lego's precise engineering makes sure things are level. You tell 'em!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm re-acquainting  myself self with the joys of the 150/152...no glass cockpits or air-con here....I think your build has inspired me to dig out my old minicraft boxing for a bltizbuild. BTW do you still fly? I imagine Hurn or Compton Abbas would be your home airfields?

43797578162_575f1ab9c9_b.jpg

43128622704_5ff6219123_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Anil - go on, build one, you know you want to... you could even match the, er, orange of the one in the pictures? :D 

I'm not flying (myself) anymore - I let my PPL lapse when the girls needed more of my time about 30 years ago. Hasn't stopped the recent Spitfire or Harvard flights though!

I was living in in Hampshire in those days so learned to fly at Thruxton and then Old Sarum. Ah, memories...

• Like 1