Cessna O-2/Skymaster 1/72nd scale decal questions...

John Masters

Well..I finally won a Skymaster on the Big Auction Site, and I might be in the running for a second Oscar Deuce.  The first is the boxed USAirfix from 1979 and the second is a bubble packed Airfix, both 1/72nd, obviously.  I am assuming that the decals will be shot by now.  Can someone give me a clue about which decals I should be looking for, where to buy them, etc...?  Links would be helpful, like to the Big Yellow Store or whatnot.  I suppose I will need numbers, letters, insignia, etc...

Thanks!

John

I made this model from a not much younger box release of the kit.

Decals were yellowed but recoverable.

As tempestfan says, wait to see what arrives, a few days taped to a South facing window should sort things. I should have left them a bit longer.

Airfix_Cessna_O2A_FAC.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info

...and it seems I have won a second O-2A...the Airfix bubble pack version.  Sadly, the UK seller says on the auction site that he won't send it to Greece.  I have requested shipping, etc...from the seller.  Cross your fingers!

I think I'll be doing a fair amount of scratch building on at least the first Skymaster.  From what I have seen, the rocket tubes seems a little spare and there may not be any underwing guns. 

If you decals don't work out, Draw Decals does a sheet of the plane at the Museum of Flight.

https://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=72-Cessna-5

Also seen some Thai markings for it.

Not much in aftermarket but you should be able to find minigun pods and/7 shot pods.

Thanks Black Knight and Philip.  I can't seem to find Set 1 from Hasagawa and anything I do find (Set A?) doesn't have the missile pods.  I thunk they'll be easy enough to make.

Regarding the decals...thanks for the link.  Those are the first 1/72nd scale I have seen.  From what I have read, however, the 'Don't Shoot' markings were actually not used during the war but were added for the museum display.  I think I might have to scavenge and find my own collection.  As long as the stars and bars and the call numbers/letters are correct, I am happy.

Still waiting to hear back from the fellow in the UK about the second O-2A...

If it's any help John, I can send you 4 of Academy's LAU-3 pods from their Dragonfly kit, or indeed any of the other ordnance in it if it's useful - SUU-14a (2 of) and Mk.82 (4 of, and probably not entirely appropriate for a Mixmaster!)

High Planes do an SUU-11a pod. https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-ge-suu-11-a-minigun-pod-x-2-accessories-1-72/

Thanks Andre.  I have the Academy A-37B and althighthe rocket pods are there, they are 19 round pods, not the 7 used on the Skymaster.  I don't have a AH-1G kit so I can't see the gun pods, but I doubt I'll buy a helicopter kit for that.  Scratch building is my best option for this, I think. Thank you though! 

Thanks Rob!  That is a very generous offer...please see the above response to Andre regarding the rocket pod.

I am not sure he gun pod for the O-2A wasn't a mini-gun, or at least not early on.  It was a two-barrel affair.  

Everyone is being so helpful and generous.  What a wonderful forum we have here...

14 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks Rob!  That is a very generous offer...please see the above response to Andre regarding the rocket pod.

Hmm. In that case, the Hasegawa set won't help you either, as it's got the 19 shot pods too, as well as the 4 shot LAU-10. What you need is the LAU-59/a.

The gun pod should be the SUU-11/a (containing the M134 minigun, a 6 barrel weapon), I can't find a reference to a contemporary twin gun pod at all, let alone one to fit the O-2. Do you have any ordnance type numbers to help in the search? The OV-10 Bronco did carry paired 7.62s, but they were in a dedicated sponson, not a pod.

Larry...none of those links worked...they all went to a '405 Forbidden' page.  I am curious to see them.

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

What you need is the LAU-59/a

Yes...that's the ticket!  I think the gun emplacements are not pods either, but rather, as you wrote, sponsons.  They were also not always fitted.

23 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Larry...none of those links worked...they all went to a '405 Forbidden' page.  I am curious to see them.

Try doing a Google search for Modelivery. That's the name of the shop. The page will pull up in Thai language, so select English in the upper right corner. Then in the left sidebar, select SiamScale Decal. Then click on aircraft 1/72. The O-1/O-2 sheet is in the middle of the second page, with the page numbers on the bottom right.

Or, you can go here:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/cessna-o1-bird-dog--o2-royal-thai-navy-ssn72033-siam-scale-decals-ssn72033-aircraft-scale-modelling-decals/product/?action=prodinfo&art=74768

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6804316

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Thanks Andy...those look great.  Unfortunately the second link is the one that wold suit me and, alas, Wolfpack has sold them out.  Maybe I can convince them to print me a sheet?  

John