Resin aftermarket parts

Hairtrigger

As an experiment I thought I would venture into detailed resin parts.  I have recently received a set of resin wheels via Hannants for a Zveda FW 190 ....

Now how is the best way to cut the surplus resin?   I assume a model makers micro saw which I have.

Any tips with resin parts greatly appreciated.  

At present not sure if this model will be my next venture.

Resin is generally pretty soft and will cut easily with any sort of micro saw. Sometimes, if the attachments are thin enough, they can be scored with a sharp knife and bent until they part. Clean-up is also easy with knife, file and/or sandpaper.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Make sure you wear a mask

Not this:

38cd368b-962b-42b0-8310-024d05216196.png

More like this:

515a5d49-f09b-4f8c-81e3-e61ae943bdeb.png

(Note, I allows you to make 'Darth Vader' noises and when the kids appear you can say “Luke…. I am your farther”! It amuses me anyway*).

*The kids – significantly less so.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Make sure you wear a mask Resin dust is really bad news if inhaled. 

aye, but if you are using a small hand saw at the normal working distance from your parts there is no need to NBC suit up.

I don't think any modeller snorts resin dust ala coke

I never have masked up and all my systems are in pfw [routine heath checks over the last couple of months]

I usually use photo-etch micro saws to cut the moulding block away. Scoring with a knife, as has been said, is another way

With some wheel sets from Hannants I've found that the wheels cracked away fairly cleanly and very easily from their moulding blocks; in fact a few just recently broke away whilst I was brushing undercoat/primer on them

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

The alternative I use instead of a face mask is to cut or sand in a bowl of water. This stops the dust getting into the air.

...beat me to it !

you can also use the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink - I do this ,the running water washes away the dust. 👍

13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I never have masked up and all my systems are in pfw [routine heath checks over the last couple of months]

Nor do I, but I am over 70 (if not quite in perfect working order) and I didn't start cutting resin at a much younger age.  I did however grow up in the Durham coal field, and am well aware of the results of "Dust".  No-one is going to die immediately from breathing resin dust, or coal dust, or quarrying dust, or asbestos.  But long term health is quite another matter, and you might like to look up the medical history of such industrial diseases.  It isn't pretty reading.  The amount of resin (or indeed polystyrene) dust in the air in a modelling room is likely to be much less than the dust on those active environments, and you are likely to be in it for a shorter time, both of which reduces the risk.  That doesn't make it foolish for younger modellers to take precautions, if they want a comfortable later life.

• Like 6

Thanks folks for the input very much appreciated, I didn't realise about the potential dust and health issues glad I asked now.

Think I may cut and tidy them up in the garden then on a nice sunny day and wear a mask to be on the safe side..  I think I've got one of those masks in the shed actually last used when insulating the loft.

Cheers and most informative and amusing replies..😃