BEA Sikorsky S-61N - little & large!

Here is my conversion of a BEA Sikorsky S-61N in 1/72nd.

This was made before the Whirlybirds resin kit was released and is the AIM - Aircraft in Miniature conversion set with vacu-formed fuselage and white metal accessories, combined with parts from the Airfix Sea King kit

42083883464_59881732fc_b.jpg

It has  a fully-furnished interior with seats and passengers, carpet on the floor and I constructed the air stairs from scratch using plasticard and stretched sprue for the hand rails.

The decals were cobbled together from a set of Liveries Unlimited BEA Vanguard decals.  

40990549650_39174ba959_b.jpg

Here it is on my Lands End type airport diorama setting.

28927720088_8f7ece0f9d_b.jpg

Now, as I am also a collector of 1/400 scale diecast airliners and have an extensive collection of BEA models, I just had to have one of these in that scale.

Well, the nearest I could get is a conversion of a Tamiya  1/350 scale Sea King, so here is 'mother and baby' !!!

28927698208_7924bf6d96_b.jpg

40990548060_33770cc7ff_b.jpg

Edited by AMB
  • Like 28

Good result from that conversion kit.

Did you change the vertical tail? Can't tell from photo angle.

'SNL in those colours was the first S-61N I saw.

Unbelievable that she is still flying  65 years on (as  N220WW). 

• Like 1

Brilliant, I remember a conversion of an Airfix Sea King in the old Airfix magazine. Alan W Hall, balsa wood and talcum powder was involved.

Really nice effort.

• Like 1

Great looking model. I remember flying in one of these around the Falklands back in the early 90's. We called them Erics as they were operated by Bristows. Big beasts as I remember 

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Good result from that conversion kit.

Did you change the vertical tail? Can't tell from photo angle.

Yes, the conversion set included a new tail unit.

58 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

Great looking model. I remember flying in one of these around the Falklands back in the early 90's. We called them Erics as they were operated by Bristows. Big beasts as I remember 

I also flew in Bristow's S-61Ns in the Falklands during 1990-91.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AMB said:

Yes, the conversion set included a new tail unit.

I also flew in Bristow's S-61Ns in the Falklands during 1990-91.

I was there May to August 1991, posted to HQBFFI. Must have just missed each other! 

46 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

I was there May to August 1991, posted to HQBFFI. Must have just missed each other! 

Well, well, I was there from October 1990 to February 1991 and in  Air Traffic Control. While there, it was me that designed and ;painted

the special scheme 78 Squadron Sea King to mark the Squadron's 75th Anniversary. Airfix are about to release their 1/72 Sea King in these colours

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AMB said:

Well, well, I was there from October 1990 to February 1991 and in  Air Traffic Control. While there, it was me that designed and ;painted

the special scheme 78 Squadron Sea King to mark the Squadron's 75th Anniversary. Airfix are about to release their 1/72 Sea King in these colours

I was an assistant ATC. Opted to go South as had recently been posted to LJAO at West Drayton after Abingdon closed down. Awful posting so was more than happy to avoid the place for a few months. I remember the scheme very well, nice to see Airfix bringing it back

14 hours ago, Simon382 said:

I was an assistant ATC. Opted to go South as had recently been posted to LJAO at West Drayton after Abingdon closed down. Awful posting so was more than happy to avoid the place for a few months. I remember the scheme very well, nice to see Airfix bringing it back

We must have crossed by  a couple of months. I made the best of the 4 months detachment, designed and painted that Sea King and flew in everything there except the Phantoms, but did do several air-to-air photo shoots with them from a Herk. tanker.  Chinook and Bristows S-61N flights to Sea Lion Island and  Saunders Island to see all the wildlife.  Must do another S-61N conversion in Bristows colours.