Model memories on 35mm - 1/72 Italeri CONVAIR TB-58A HUSTLER

In 1996 I built the 1/72 Italeri TB-58 Hustler. The TB stands for Trainer Bomber as this version was used as a pilot trainer. It differed from the bomber version in having extra windows for the instructor and deletion of the bombing, countermeasures and defence systems

The model went together easily with precision, the complicated and scale undercarriage legs were very well engineered and formed a good strong structure. There was plenty of tiny wheels to paint though.

I sprayed it with Halfords Aluminium car spray.

resized_25549b46-1102-496a-9313-167edd71

The actual surviving box from 1996.

I have found a small number of 35mm photographs I took of the model at the time

resized_f57377ea-044b-42b9-a2d6-16396a53

The pilot and instructor sat on conventional ejector seats in this Trainer version instead of the capsulated cockpits of the Bomber version.

resized_62277035-b061-4bcc-9d88-0cd44226

resized_14e1e50b-89d7-4656-97c9-6aab1681

I displayed it at a number of model shows back then

resized_494ca7b1-2acd-452a-a664-6c7103fc

Apologies for the quality of the photos but they are the only record of this model 😢

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 19

Great result of this classic from Italeri. ! ( This brings back some good memories of my own build at some times in the 1980s ) 

• Like 1

A fantastic model of a fantastic aircraft.  Always been mightily impressed by the Hustler, even if Curtis LeMay wasn't!  It's interesting that Italeri should chose to produce the trainer version rather than an operational mark.

Isn't it amazing how things have moved on?  Wet film seems a long time ago now.  So, what happened to the model?  Did it go the way of all things?

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 09:18, Meatbox8 said:

A fantastic model of a fantastic aircraft.  Always been mightily impressed by the Hustler, even if Curtis LeMay wasn't!  It's interesting that Italeri should chose to produce the trainer version rather than an operational mark.

Isn't it amazing how things have moved on?  Wet film seems a long time ago now.  So, what happened to the model?  Did it go the way of all things?

Thanks for your kind comments Meatbox.

Italeri did make the Bomber version too.

5a41d385-dcf4-4ef5-ad71-23efb7806afa.jpg

I think that the only difference in parts between the two kits were the fuselages. I remember that the sprues contained extra parts for the bomber version such as instrument panels and the capsule escape seats.

It is amazing how cameras have moved on, back then if you had taken a photo that was out of focus you would not know until you had got the pictures back from the developers ( and paid for them ). Nowadays we can take as many photos as we like on these digital cameras and see them straight away, if they are out of focus delete them and take another one.

A number of models have unfortunately moved on over the years to make space for new ones.

I have been going through my 35mm negatives and have found quite a number of photos I took of my models twenty years ago, a number of which are no longer around.

It has been strange to be going back into the Kodak shop where I used to get my photos developed all those years ago with my 35mm negatives and asking the same guys  who like me are a lot older now to process these photos.

So, I will be sharing with you a few more of those models on 35mm which are now just memories.

adey

Edited by adey m

5 hours ago, adey m said:

Thanks for your kind comments Meatbox.

Italeri did make the Bomber version too.

5a41d385-dcf4-4ef5-ad71-23efb7806afa.jpg

I think that the only difference in parts between the two kits were the fuselages. I remember that the sprues contained extra parts for the bomber version such as instrument panels and the capsule escape seats.

It is amazing how cameras have moved on, back then if you had taken a photo that was out of focus you would not know until you had got the pictures back from the developers ( and paid for them ). Nowadays we can take as many photos as we like on these digital cameras and see them straight away, if they are out of focus delete them and take another one.

A number of years ago I had a clear out of some of my models to lessen the clutter upstairs ( and in my mind ) and now a number of years later I regret what I did.

I have been going through my 35mm negatives and have found quite a number of photos I took of my models twenty years ago, a number of which are no longer around.

It has been strange to be going back into the Kodak shop where I used to get my photos developed all those years ago with my 35mm negatives and asking the same guys  who like me are a lot older now to process these photos.

So, I will be sharing with you a few more of those models on 35mm which are now just memories.

adey

Look forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

Very nicely done there Adey. 😎😎 Love the B-58 in "god's own scale" 😍

I've four of these '72nd Italeri B-58s in the stash, three A's and a TB, I hope mine come out as nice as yours mate 😎

• Thanks 1