suggestions/opinions for building an RCAF BAE Hawk 72nd scale...

JackG

As I understand, it would require the 100 series aircraft - (designated CT-155, essentially is the Hawk 115, the export version for Canada).

rcaf-ct-155.jpg

I can only find the Italeri boxing - any comments on the details and accuracy?  I have come across instruction to correct the tail fin behind he rudder, plus a couple other things..

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/hawk100gmcd_1.htm          Not too encouraging to see the review describe it as a fussy kit.

Would any of the new tool  Airfix kits be a candidates for conversion, or could possibly Airfix release this subject in the future?

The other problem are the decals.  I've found both Leading Edge and Mike Grant have released Canadian markings, but they have been long out of print.  There is CanMilAir, but man $24.CAD for the sheet.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Airfix kit A03073 purports to build into the Hawk 120, 128, or 132...how close are these to the Hawk 115? The color profiles included with the kit look a lot like your photo, but I'm no Hawk expert!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

The Airfix kit mentioned by Bill is the way to go. This kit has all the right structural feature of the Hawk 115, there may be some small detail difference but it is at least a correct base, something that can't be said of the Italeri offering. Italeri modelled their kit after a configuration of the demonstrator that shows several difference from the "definitive" Mk.100 series, particularly in the wings. This kit also have a few inaccurate areas carried over from the T.1 kit. On the pros side, some areas are better detailed in the Italeri kit and the panel lines are decent.

The Airfix kit on the other hand is pretty accurate, has the correct features but suffers from heavy panel lines and lack of detail in some areas. It feels more "toylike".

The very best model could be built by combining the main parts of the newer Revell kit while taking the specific Mk.115 parts from the Airfix box... wouldn't be too expensive but it would be quite a lot of work, only recommended to real fans of the BAe trainer

• Like 1

Thank you Bill and Giorgio for responding.

Yes, I see reviews of the Airfix kit A03073 (2009) do refer to it as a 100 series type.  Interesting also, that the preceding kit it was based on, was retooled (or new tool) in 2012 with better panel lines along with a more smooth surface finish.  Can only hope the same will be done to the Hawk 100. 

As for combining two kits for one build, I'm not against that - looking at the Revell offering, I can see it would need the Airfix nose, but after that I would be lost.  As it is,  still have not been able source 72nd scale decals.  Subject will have to be shelved for now, unless I move to a bigger scale ...

regards,

Jack

The Revell kit would need the Airfix nose, the tail with the RWR fairings, plus several modifications to the wings, of course all parts that can be taken from the Airfix kit. Is it worth it ? Hard to tell and in any case depends on the modeller love for the Hawk.

Regarding decals there seems to be a lack of CT-155 options around, very unfortunate for me as well since this is a subject I'd like to build. 1/48 modellers seem to be luckier here

I noticed for the Revell kit there was an aftermarket product from Thunderbird to correct the tail fairing:

TBMR-002.jpg?t=1508261397

Model Alliance was another decal maker, again nowhere to be found in stock:

312284-15515-99-pristine.jpg

Only game in town seems to be the pricey offering from CanMilAir.  Not encouraged by what I read of one modeler's experience in 32nd scale, said he had to 'work' on them - did not specify if it was technical or artwork issues, plus no stencils!

Caracal Models said last year they would announce a date for their RCAF & RAAF Hawks decals, still waiting ...

---------------------

In 1/48 have been looking at HobbyBoss.  Some say it is overscale (1/46?), while another say it's nose is better represented than Airfix, and is what makes it look larger in comparison?   Given the price, for $3.USD more one  can obtain the Kinetic offering in 1/32 scale.

regards,

Jack

• 7 months later...

Well this one still has some legs.  On a lark went to Kingkit to check for the Airfix A03073 and they have four in stock.  So have ordered one along with the suggested Revell kit. 

The Canadian aspect of the  decals I will design myself, and have them custom printed.  Hopefully the aircraft stencils will be covered in the Airfix boxing.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

I did one a few years ago.  Leading Edge did a gorgeous detailed decal sheet for it! I'll seek out my pics and re post here when I can.  I cross kitted the newer tool Airfix kit from the demo Mk.100 with the original Airfix kit because the main undercarriage doors were better, a lot, in the older kit!

• Like 1

Flyboy72nd, thank you for the link to your build.  You don't mention it, but am assuming the Airfix kit is the same A03073 as I've on order?

Thank you for pointing out a dimension problem with engine exhaust, and that is a great little tutorial on how to paint up the detonation cord in the canopy.  Do you have the item  # for those Model Art decals?  I've checked their site, but don't see anything Canadian.   Could be another case of a short run that is no longer available.

https://www.modartdec.com/mads-172.html

----------------------

A little bit more about the engine, found a site that gives a diameter of 22.7 in (57.7 cm).  Scaled to 1/72, that is  0.315 in or about 8mm.

http://www.fi-powerweb.com/Engine/Rolls-Royce-F405-Adour.html

Rolls-Royce-F405-Adour.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Jack you are most welcome. Yes it is that kit, at the time of the GB it was the only Airfix 'long nose' available. I cannot take credit for the det cord detailing someone else on a DG came up with it and I thought I would give it a try, just wish all manufacturers would do that, the finished product looks great! Yes I think the decals are OOP which is too bad since they were extremely complete, it took a while to get them all on!!!!

Good luck with your kit, cheers.

• Thanks 1

Guys, I need some help with the dimension of the RCAF style roundels. 

I've the 1/48 scale Model Alliance decal sheet for Commonwealth Hawks, but it's not a problem of resizing to 1/72.  They have all four roundels as one size, but I noticed some other aftermarket decal sets (Leading Edge and Caracal) with two sizes - am assuming the smaller go on the fuselage?  Maybe both approaches are correct, depending on the time frame?

Measuring the decals I have, also instilled some doubts in their accuracy.  When re-scaled 1:1, they end up being odd sized (blue roundel dimension of 22.67 inches, which does not fit the standard sizes listed here:

LEM-LE002-2.jpg

------------------

Great example here of what appear to be two different size roundels.  If they were same dimensions, the fuselage one would have been larger since it is closer to the camera, but is obviously not as the one on the wing is larger:

15wf2015-38.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
added photo

There is absolutely no doubt that the wing and fuselage insignia applied on RCAF CT-155 are different in size.  During the design process, I typically start from an accurately dimensioned line drawing (verified against publicly available dimensional data and the kit itself) and deduce the sizes of the markings by aligning actual photos to the drawings.

For the standard RCAF CT-155 scheme, I calculated the diameters of the fuselage roundels to be 15 in and the wing roundels to be 18 in.  These are the dimensions I used to design CD48108 and CD32023, and I will use them in any future 1/72 sheet as well. If someone knows the officially specified sizes, I would be interested in finding out. 

• Like 2

Thank you for confirming there are two sizes, as well as those measured dimensions. 

Was thinking of contacting the Canadian government about this, when I just remembered I use to know an old college acquaintance that was working at their graphics department.  Still had their email from decades ago, and have messaged them.  No failed email returned, so hoping to hear from them soon.  Even if they can't help directly, it's possible they can suggest who might be in the know.

regards,

Jack

• 5 weeks later...

Have been in contact with old college friend.  has no clue about roundel sizes, but he might be able to get in touch with some government contractors that would know.  In his exact words, 'it might take a while'.

I've gone to measuring up the photos against the model kit, and my results are a bit larger for the dimensions.  Taking into account the thin outer white surround (half inch wide), I come up with 23 and 17 inches.   Otherwise base size of roundels (without white surround), would be 22 and 16 inches.

regards,

Jack