Interesting article about Scimitar...

Andre B

The Xtrakit was moulded by Sword, not MPM. Which might explain why it has never re-appeared in an SH/MPM box!! The MPM tooled Xtrakits (Vampire, Meteor, Sea Harrier) all appeared in other guises as part of their main ranges, the Sword tooled ones (Canberra PR9, Swift, Scimitar) were Xtrakit exclusives.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:42 PM, Scimitar said:

Did the three parts look like any part of a Scimitar?

My one is going to be turned into this or one of the later proposals

latest?cb=20120523215354

That is interesting, anymore info or larger pictures ?

Robert

4 hours ago, Robert said:

anymore info or larger pictures

It's a total 'what if?' Robert as the only two seat Scimitar proposal was the Type 564.

This had a side by side cockpit like a Hunter T8, Blue Parrot radar and Gyron junior engines. Never got beyond drawings though.

If you go to this site and click on the image,you get a better look. :http://thempirestwilight.wikia.com/wiki/807_Naval_Air_Squadron_(Royal_Navy)

Smart beastie isn't it?

• Like 1

Thanks for that, it looks very smart. I have two of the Xtrakits so one is heading towards that direction.

Robert.

• Like 1

Is there a reason the Scimitar was not classed as a FB1 instead of F1. Reading the article and other sources it seems it should have had that designation. It is an interesting aircraft and many firsts for the RN. Also l do wonder why Hannants do not do another run of kits....

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

..........Also l do wonder why Hannants do not do another run of kits....

Robert

Hi Robert, think you'll find it's because Hannants don't own any of the moulds that have been issued under the Xtrakit name.

Slightly O/T, was told that they were offered the chance to buy the Meteor Mk.8 mould and declined, that's why the kit was issued by Airfix shortly after the Xtrakit, as well as being issued by MPM as both the Mk.8 and the FR9

Would guess with the quantity purchased, evidently it didn't turn over either fast enough or with sufficient margin, but I don't know for fact.

Paul

Hi Phoenix,

You have said 'Slightly O/T, was told that they were offered the chance to buy the Meteor Mk.8 mould and declined, that's why the kit was issued by Airfix shortly after the Xtrakit, as well as being issued by MPM as both the Mk.8 and the FR9'

I am curious where that rumour comes from because there is not the slightest truth in it. Our buying the Meteor Mk8 mould has never been mentioned.

And we have not done another run of any Xtrakit as a conscious marketing decision to let the range die as they sell out. Which also means there is unlikely to ever be any additions to the range.

David Hannant

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, decalmaster said:

Hi Phoenix,

You have said 'Slightly O/T, was told that they were offered the chance to buy the Meteor Mk.8 mould and declined, that's why the kit was issued by Airfix shortly after the Xtrakit, as well as being issued by MPM as both the Mk.8 and the FR9'

I am curious where that rumour comes from because there is not the slightest truth in it. Our buying the Meteor Mk8 mould has never been mentioned.

And we have not done another run of any Xtrakit as a conscious marketing decision to let the range die as they sell out. Which also means there is unlikely to ever be any additions to the range.

David Hannant

Shame, I had hoped you would do a Venom FB4!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:51 PM, Scimitar said:

It's a total 'what if?' Robert as the only two seat Scimitar proposal was the Type 564.

This had a side by side cockpit like a Hunter T8, Blue Parrot radar and Gyron junior engines. Never got beyond drawings though.

If you go to this site and click on the image,you get a better look. :http://thempirestwilight.wikia.com/wiki/807_Naval_Air_Squadron_(Royal_Navy)

Smart beastie isn't it?

Is there any drawing around of the Type 564 ? Have to say that with that seating arrangement, a radar and a some of the "not really the best" engines this could have been one of the worst performing aircrafts of its days 😁

13 hours ago, Robert said:

s there a reason the Scimitar was not classed as a FB1 instead of F1.

The design specification issued in May 1953 called for a single seat fighter to carry out day interception,day CAP and day long range and strike support.

In service it wasn't very good above 25000 feet ,not much use as a fighter but it was very good at low level strike.

Perhaps it should have been an FG 1 (like the Phantom) or an S1 (like the Buccaneer).

The correct decision was made not to develop it further as the superb (eventually) Buccaneer was coming along and there was an excellent fighter in the shape of the Sea Vixen.

Perhaps that's why nobody bothered to change the designation.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Is there any drawing around of the Type 564 ?

Yes.

In Air Britain's Scimitar File.

10 hours ago, decalmaster said:

.........I am curious where that rumour comes from because there is not the slightest truth in it. Our buying the Meteor Mk8 mould has never been mentioned.

David Hannant

Morning David,

if it's names your after, sorry, I've been to bed since then!

What I can remember is it came up in conversation, possibly at a model show, meaning anywhere from North Shields to Hendon and across to Telford!

I can remember units being discussed, and the comment that the four kits shared common moulds, to whit, MPM x2, Xtrakit x1 and Airfix x1. 

The information was never mentioned in a 'have you heard the rumour......' or a 'Oh, I heard...' vein.

As I had no reason to doubt the veracity of the person speaking, I just took it as correct and mentally filed it.

Paul

12 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Side by side seating would be like built-in headwind - otherwise, it would have been quite similar in concept to the Buccaneer 1 ?

:hmmm:..........of course! You mean similar to the E.E. Lightning T.4......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tempestfan said:

No one will EVER do a Venom 😦🤯

Why?

On those who make the Venom some spell is imposed?

:)

...some magic of the priests of Voodoo? :)

The curse of the Egyptian pharaohs? :)

B.R.

Serge