Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andre B

Interesting article about Scimitar...

Recommended Posts

I noticed that FlyPast had an interesting article about the Supermarine Scimitar in their last magazine. Sadly there is no available kit in 1/72...

 

Cheers / André

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great magazine all in with the July edition. Scimitar,Javelin, Wessex and the U-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's several kits of the Scimitar in 1/72, injection, vacform and resin.

They can hardly be called "available". They are for most shortrun kits, expensive and hard to find.

 

The only real conventional kit is the very old and not  accurate Frog kit that is heard of but never seen. CMR makes the expensive (£79.99) and difficult to build resinkits.

 

The Xtrakit Scimitar is also an hard to find short run injection kit with  it problems of it own. And they are for mostl sold out and out of stock. Found one in e-bay sold for £77!

 

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/xtrakit72011reviewbg_1.htm

 

http://imodeler.com/2014/03/supermarine-scimitar/

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicbritishkits/xtrakit-1-72-supermarine-scimitar-f1-2009-t1012.html

 

We got an nice 1/72 Supermarine Swift from Airfix. The question is if we ever get an Supermarine Scimitar...

 

Cheers / André

 

Edited by Andre B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andre B said:

Found one in e-bay sold for £77!

Whoever paid that for the Xtrakit one is even more obsessed with the beast than I am!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Andre B said:

Sadly there is no available kit in 1/72... 

I construed that to mean there had never been any kits made of the Scimitar, which isn't true.

9 hours ago, Andre B said:

They can hardly be called "available".

There's two Magna kits on the Aviation Megastore website, and the CMR Scimitars are current on their website, plus there's the second hand market. Granted, none of the kits are common, but they are out there.

9 hours ago, Andre B said:

They are for most shortrun kits, expensive and hard to find.

Agreed, but you didn't specify easily available/currently available new, or cheap mainstream kits.

10 hours ago, Andre B said:

We got an nice 1/72 Supermarine Swift from Airfix. The question is if we ever get an Supermarine Scimitar... 

That would be brilliant, but I'm not holding my breath...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You forgot the Skybirds 86 one Dave, even more unobtainium than the others on your list, but reputed to be the best of the lot. I have one in stock. :rolleyes:

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You forgot the Skybirds 86 one Dave

Not forgotten Steve, it's on the Scalemates list in the link, along with the Merlin one.

I've also got a Skybirds one in the stash along with an original issue CMR and an Xtrakit one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 10:01 AM, Dave Swindell said:

the Merlin one.

😱

I confess to having one too.

Why,why why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 2:56 AM, Andre B said:

The Xtrakit Scimitar is also an hard to find short run injection kit with  it problems of it own. And they are for mostl sold out and out of stock. Found one in e-bay sold for £77!

 

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/xtrakit72011reviewbg_1.htm

 

http://imodeler.com/2014/03/supermarine-scimitar/

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicbritishkits/xtrakit-1-72-supermarine-scimitar-f1-2009-t1012.html

And for this money, in order to make a normal Scimitar from Xtrakit model you will get as much headache as this modeler built Xtrakit in the Russian forum:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_68566.html

;) :)

B.R.

Serge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 2:27 AM, Scimitar said:

Whoever paid that for the Xtrakit one is even more obsessed with the beast than I am!

Please explain that, I have the impression you implicit that's a bad kit but we also have shape problems with Trumpeteer or Hobby Boss kits

 

Right now in my local club here down the border in middle of Central America one of long forgotten God modeler lands, we run into Falklands War as special contest and we found out that if you want a specific model better build up a stash as models were produced on batches and then those were sold only to Ebay resellers benefits 

 

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

 

 

Cheers

 

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola Armando,

¡es solo humor británico! Como su "mango" sugiere que el hombre tiene una obsesión con este avión :whistle:

 

El fondo del kit es que fue creado por Hannants por MPM.

En el lanzamiento (2014) su costo fue £ 18.50. (aproximadamente U.S. $ 35 en 2014)

£ 77.00 = $ 92.00 en las tasas de cambio actuales, un aumento de tres veces en cuatro años es un poco alto.

La mayoría de los kits tienen problemas, ya que no vivimos en Utopia, algunos pueden vivir, otros ........

El mejor (el más preciso) kit de la Cimitarra es el Skybirds '86, el mejor en la 48.a forma Dynavector vac-U-form.

¿Espero que esto sea de alguna ayuda?

 

Pablo

 

.................and in English for you others!

 

Hi Armando,

it's just British humour! As his 'handle' suggests the man has an obsession with this aircraft :whistle:

 

The background of the kit is, that it was made for Hannants by MPM.

At release (2014) it's cost was £18.50. (approx U.S.$35 in 2014)

£77.00 = $92.00 at todays exchange rates, a three fold increase in four years is a little high.

Most kits have issues, as we are not living in Utopia, some you can live with, others........

The best (most accurate) 72nd kit of the Scimitar is the Skybirds '86, the best in 48th being the Dynavector vac-U-form.

Hope this is of some help?

 

Paul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Skybirds issue and 2 Xtrakit. So far I have built 1 Xtrakit. While it took a little work, it makes a nice Scimitar. It was on the club table at Telford and has done the rounds. The only one I have seen built. Looking at those reviews, either people got some rough models, (mine were fine, straight off the pallet at Hannants the day after they arrived), or they are novice modellers. That last one looked like some skills were lacking, and the roughness of the 'fixes' made me wonder.

 

It's less a case of the kit, and more a case of the builder's patience. There is no need to pay silly money either. I bet I can find one for £20 at the next model show I attend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

this modeler built Xtrakit in the Russian forum:

He certainly went to town with the detailing didn't he!

End result is a smasher though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

End result is a smasher though.

Result was built Scimitar: 

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=140

and second place in the "GB Wings of the British Empire-2" on scalemodels.ru :

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

first place he lost to his own :)

Supermarine Attacker:

7aa6234122fa.jpg

But when I see similar titanic buildings, I somehow understand that the original unbuilt models of this type can not cost more than 10-15$, but no 70£. ;):)

Therefore, I will gladly vote with my money for Scimitar from Airfix, because hardly anyone else will do it correct.

 

 

B.R.

Serge

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

And for this money, in order to make a normal Scimitar from Xtrakit model you will get as much headache as this modeler built Xtrakit in the Russian forum:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_68566.html

;) :)

B.R.

Serge

That is some piece of modelling. His Attacker is outstanding as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:57, Scimitar said:

😱

I confess to having one too.

Why,why why?

I have one three parts built!

 

Martian 👽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the three parts look like any part of a Scimitar?

My one is going to be turned into this or one of the later proposals

latest?cb=20120523215354

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Did the three parts look like any part of a Scimitar?

My one is going to be turned into this or one of the later proposals

latest?cb=20120523215354

It was kind of looking like the original but I seem to remember that it was more down to Milliput than the original plastic.

 

Martian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, PhoenixII said:

Hola Armando,

¡es solo humor británico! Como su "mango" sugiere que el hombre tiene una obsesión con este avión :whistle:

 

El fondo del kit es que fue creado por Hannants por MPM.

En el lanzamiento (2014) su costo fue £ 18.50. (aproximadamente U.S. $ 35 en 2014)

£ 77.00 = $ 92.00 en las tasas de cambio actuales, un aumento de tres veces en cuatro años es un poco alto.

La mayoría de los kits tienen problemas, ya que no vivimos en Utopia, algunos pueden vivir, otros ........

El mejor (el más preciso) kit de la Cimitarra es el Skybirds '86, el mejor en la 48.a forma Dynavector vac-U-form.

¿Espero que esto sea de alguna ayuda?

 

Pablo

 

.................and in English for you others!

 

Hi Armando,

it's just British humour! As his 'handle' suggests the man has an obsession with this aircraft :whistle:

 

The background of the kit is, that it was made for Hannants by MPM.

At release (2014) it's cost was £18.50. (approx U.S.$35 in 2014)

£77.00 = $92.00 at todays exchange rates, a three fold increase in four years is a little high.

Most kits have issues, as we are not living in Utopia, some you can live with, others........

The best (most accurate) 72nd kit of the Scimitar is the Skybirds '86, the best in 48th being the Dynavector vac-U-form.

Hope this is of some help?

 

Paul

 

BTW you have nice Spanish skills!!!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 8:53 PM, Scimitar said:

He certainly went to town with the detailing didn't he!

End result is a smasher though.

Just seen those and I have to agree. At first I was going to say that was one of THE best 1/72 models I have seen, certainly by far the best Scimitar, then I looked at the Attacker ................... (can't find a jaw drop emoticon!)

 

Awesome modelling and makes me feel slightly less depressed about owning an Xtrakit Scimitar, seeing what could be done to it ...............🤔

 

Terry

Edited by Terry1954

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone post a link to the attaker please,I tried to find it and failed miserably😕.cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Could someone post a link to the attaker please,I tried to find it and failed miserably😕.cheers.

Built:

(photo clickable!)

On 6/17/2018 at 11:49 PM, Aardvark said:

In process:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_69517.html

 

B.R.

Serge

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Serge your a star ⭐

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...