An old Hunter

Filled, sanded and sprayed with dark sea grey.

Once fully dry I'll hand paint the dark green before masking the top surfaces and spraying the underside 'high speed silver'.

IMG37331529588960.jpg

• Like 1

Dark green hand painted (Tamiya XF-81, as always!). I didn't stir the paint so it keeps a semi-gloss sheen more in keeping with the colour scheme of this era.

IMG37421529663624.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking very much like a Hunter! What dark sea grey did you use?

Terry

This one. I've used it on everything DSG so far, after originally getting it for my Shackleton AEW.  I ordered it from RAL Aerosols.

IMG37431529668133.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The amount of filler needed on this is incredible! Just when you think you've sealed all the gaps, the spray paint shows up caverns around the gun pack and still at the wing roots. I think the wing roots would have been a better fit if they'd been carved from stone. Awful. But then the kit is over half a century old, so I suppose I can't expect too much!

I'm just going to have to live with a slight join on top of the left wing root, it'd make it look even worse if I tried to fill, sand and repaint there now. It looked ok before spraying, packed with filler! I may try and fill underneath though before I spray the silver.

IMG37481529744626.jpg

• Like 1

The shape is better, I'd say it's definitely a better kit, but it's so old the fit of the wings is equally as poor as the Mistercraft one. I think with Hunters models would look better if the whole upper wings and middle fuselage section were one part like on the new tool Harrier. 

I've done my best with it:

IMG37491529753819.jpg

If anyone makes this kit just remember to use lots of filler, and test the gaps with an undercoat spray before committing to the final colours.

With a completed Mistercraft Hunter for comparison:

IMG37501529754117.jpg

The Airfix wings look a bit too thick for me. But the overall shape just looks a bit more accurate than the Mistercraft one. Both needed lots of filler though, and both need extra plastic inside so you don't end up seeing all the way through the fuselage and intakes.

How does the Revell one compare? Is it worth buying?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

The Revell kit’s a generation this side of the Airfix kit.  IIRC it’s generally accurate, has fine engraved surface details, boxed-in wheel bays, non-see-through intakes and tailpipe and a very comprehensive transfer sheet with lots of stencilling.  I wish I could find mine.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

The shape is better, I'd say it's definitely a better kit, but it's so old the fit of the wings is equally as poor as the Mistercraft one. I think with Hunters models would look better if the whole upper wings and middle fuselage section were one part like on the new tool Harrier. 

How does the Revell one compare? Is it worth buying?

The new Airfix 1/48th one is designed that way interestingly enough.

The Revell kit is 40+ years newer than the Airfix. In terms of accuracy, it’s pretty good, a few minor issues. The wheels are a bit small, and the fuselage cross section at the nose is a little too circular, which makes the bottom of the windscreen a little too wide, but neither is that noticeable. The panel lines are a bit inconsistent, almost disappearing in places. But it’s certainly the best 1/72 Hunter. Not sure it’s worth the price Revell are currently charging, but that’s subjective!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Not sure it’s worth the price Revell are currently charging, but that’s subjective!

I've bought a couple off our local auction site recently. NZ$30.00 to the door, about £15.00, well cheaper than I"ve seen it locally & this is from a UK based seller.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, Dave Fleming said:

But it’s certainly the best 1/72 Hunter. Not sure it’s worth the price Revell are currently charging, but that’s subjective!

Managed to find a Revell F6 at a local show recently for £10 so snapped that up! There were FGA9's there also but £20 to £25 price range. I also got extremely lucky earlier this year when I picked up a Resin PJ Productions F4 for £10!

Would agree with you and @stever219 that the Revell Hunetr is streaks ahead of the other injection moulded, however @Lord Riot here is doing a champion job!

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, Lord Riot said:

(...)

The Airfix wings look a bit too thick for me. But the overall shape just looks a bit more accurate than the Mistercraft one. Both needed lots of filler though, and both need extra plastic inside so you don't end up seeing all the way through the fuselage and intakes.

One annoying and rather noticeable "feature" of the Airfix Hunter is the fact that the leading-edge dogteeth are not parallel to the fuselage, but form a right-angle to the wing leading edge. The Mistercraft Hunter has an exhaust area that is far too skinny. 

• Like 1

IMG37561529918549.jpg

Silver done. Not too bad, the advice on using micromesh to smooth out scratches was brilliant!

I'll be making her with the undercarriage down as usual, the doors are blu-tacked in place to mask the interior and teceive their coat of paint.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ivand said:

Yes, that looks like proper silver paint! 🙂 What did you use?

This is the silver I use; it's from a Parts Alliance motor spares shop. 

IMG16091529943399.jpg

I reamed out the inside of the jet pipe as it was a little thick around its circumference. The inside is matt black with Humbrol metallic silver rim.

IMG37601529943213.jpg

For the ejection handles I used masking tape cut very thin with sharp scissors then marked with black biro and yellow paint, then curved round and glued to the seat. 

With a kit this age there were no instrument panel decals of course, so I cut up a Tornado one which looks convincing enough for my standards.

IMG37611529943214.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job on knocking this curmudgeonly kit into shape. Particularly like how your masking has come out. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Lord Riot said:

I think with Hunters models would look better if the whole upper wings and middle fuselage section were one part like on the new tool Harrier. 

Definitely second that. As per a few posters' comments above in view of the Revell kit, it is the best 1/72 kit around by a county mile. Although to be fair it does have the advantage of being several generations newer tooling than what your working with, so one would expect higher quality. That said it is not without it's glitches, the wing roots being one of them. And yes as per your comment, the upper wings and middle fuselage section would work better as one piece like some Harrier kits and F16 etc.

• Thanks 1

Pretty much ready for decals once the canopy is on.

IMG37641530003936.jpg

I was slightly tempted by 56 sqn but I think this one will still be 74 'Tiger' sqn from Horsham St Faith, Norfolk in the late 50s. 

• Like 2