An old Hunter

Here's an old classic! And best of all, there were two complete Hunter kits in the one box, albeit with some parts off the sprues. As the Hornet didn't take that long, I thought I'd squeeze in one more model before we move! 

Despite its age it looks like a nice kit, and better than the Mistercraft Hunter. I'll be making her as a green/grey camo one with high speed silver undersides, probably either 56 sqn or 74 sqn, not decided yet. Any issues to watch out for?

IMG36761528965677.jpg

• Like 5

Just like the Mistercraft Hunter, with the Airfix one you also seem to be able to look through one intake directly out the other side! This time I was ready for this anomaly, and cut up an old Blue Steel bomb bay door to give some kind of structure inside. I'll paint it black once the glue sets.

IMG36961529010779.jpg

• Like 1

There was no jetpipe or interior either, so I sealed it off deep inside with some cut plastic, otherwise you could see straight through to the intakes!

IMG36991529056176.jpg

• Like 2

I briefly considered doing her as a 79 sqn/1 TWU jet, circa 1974, but I'd need a Hunter with a brake chute fairing for that so I'll stick to my usual 50s/60s era. I think 74 (Tiger) Sqn could well be on the cards!

IMG37001529056496.jpg

• Like 1

I've jazzed up the Airfix bang seat a bit. Probably won't show up much once the canopy is on, but it was a nice little project to test myself and practice on.

IMG37031529075728.jpg

• Like 4

The fit of the Sabrinas is poor unless one cuts off the pins and lines them up manually.

IMG37071529139483.jpg

Lots of filling needed under the wings where Airfix put holes for rocket packs and giant fuel tanks. My Hunter will be 'clean'.

IMG37081529139483.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

All those horrible gaping holes for Swiss AF rockets have been filled, with the wings subsequently sanded then rescribed. Hopefully if I give her a couple of coats of silver spray the sanding lines won't show up too much. Roundels and serials should cover them up a bit too. I want a lovely, sleek 50s RAF feel to this one, no extraneous bits hanging off, that's so 1980s.

IMG37091529153246.jpg

• Like 7

Nice bit of kit bashing on a classic aircraft.

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I want a lovely, sleek 50s RAF feel to this one, no extraneous bits hanging off, that's so 1980s.

Like the style.

• Like 2

I think I would give the model a thorough micromeshing. Silver shows every single scratch.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think I would give the model a thorough micromeshing. Silver shows every single scratch.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian - what is micromeshing?