Restoring an old Vulcan

Lord Riot

To save having to buy yet another Vulcan, I was wondering how far gone a model has to be before it can be resurrected, and what techniques are involved?

I have an old model Vulcan still in my old bedroom at my Dad's house, which I made about 25 years ago! As such, it is terrible, and fit only for plastic recycling. Or is it? ...

I'm sure I read somewhere if you put a model in the freezer it breaks the glue so you can take it apart again?

Also, how do you remove ancient Humbrol enamel paint, is it even possible? Not sure I fancy soaking it in a bath of turps! Just sandpaper then respray?

I was thinking of using it as the base for my B.1 conversion. Otherwise respraying as a wraparound camo Vulcan circa 1980.

Any tips on how to restore kits this old?

Edited by Lord Riot

Have never tried the freezer trick personaly, but might be worth trying?  Sprayng with Mr Muscle or similar oven cleaner should shift old paint, spray it on, put in large plastic bag and tie it up and leave for a while. May need to repeat. At the end of it all it might not be brilliant, age and UV can sometimes make plastic brittle, but I have an old Vulcan to which I did this, re painted it, looks ok. Good luck

Edited by modelmaker
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...