Photo Phantom Phun!

Troffa

Looking for confirmation of the following statement (my own) for a future project:

"The basic airframes of the RF-4C and RF-4E are essentially identical"

I'm not too worried about panel lines as these can be rescribed/ filled as required, and I will have to pay close attention to Slotted/ Unslotted stabilators. swap out the jet exhausts, check my wheel/ tyre types, curved/flat camera fairing, but in essence It would be a relatively simple task to produce a Spanish RF-4C from the Revell RF-4E kit linked here:

Revell RF-4E Phantom

Am I on target or way off the mark?

Thanks for looking,

Troffa

As ever get photos of the a/c you want to model.

You're right about the different jet exhausts. The main thing with the Spanish ones was the refuelling probe they plumbed into the system behind the cockpit. Hi-Decal (I think) do a decal sheet with an anniversary jet on with a gold tail and spine on one side and black on the other.

Thanks Iain!  I'm hoping that the fixed Refuel Probe (Looks like the Israeli type fit to me) was a later addition to the Spanish birds, but I have scratched one before for an Israeli F-4E many moons ago.

I've just found this thread from last year on the same subject, so it looks like I may be in luck.

Phantom Thread

16 hours ago, Troffa said:

Looking for confirmation of the following statement (my own) for a future project:

"The basic airframes of the RF-4C and RF-4E are essentially identical"

I'm not too worried about panel lines as these can be rescribed/ filled as required, and I will have to pay close attention to Slotted/ Unslotted stabilators. swap out the jet exhausts, check my wheel/ tyre types, curved/flat camera fairing, but in essence It would be a relatively simple task to produce a Spanish RF-4C from the Revell RF-4E kit linked here:

Revell RF-4E Phantom

Am I on target or way off the mark?

Thanks for looking,

Troffa

Troffa,

The kit you linked to only comes with the early non-refaired camera nose. Spain operated Phantoms with both refaired and non-refaired noses. Also, not all their Phantoms had the Israeli style refueling probe. As mentioned by others, check your photo references for the bird you want to do. BTW, none of the Spanish recce Phantoms of which I have photos of have slatted wings. They were all the type in the kit you posted info on.

Larry

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Troffa,

The kit you linked to only comes with the early non-refaired camera nose. Spain operated Phantoms with both refaired and non-refaired noses. Also, not all their Phantoms had the Israeli style refueling probe. As mentioned by others, check your photo references for the bird you want to do. BTW, none of the Spanish recce Phantoms of which I have photos of have slatted wings. They were all the type in the kit you posted info on.

Larry

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer

Larry

I'd love to see the slatted wing RFs you mention. My understanding was that Greece and Turkey had 16 (new) RFs each and those were the only ones made; you would add to the global F-4 knowledge bank if it can be proved otherwise.

Iain

- Another thing not mentionned here is that the RF-4C had the "straight" ("navy style") underwing pylons, the RF-4E having curved ( "air force") pylons, like the F-4E.

- Indeed , Spain operated different RF-4Cs, some with curved noses and some with rounded ones.

- The first spanish batch was painted in SEA colors, later, former ANG birds wore Europe One and Hill Grey schemes.

The Ejercito del Aire RF-4C fleet was later repainted in a light grey/medium grey air scheme and received israeli made refuelling probes.

RF-4C 12-54 wearing the special "night and day" black/gold scheme has a squared nose.

BTW: Hi-Decal's RF-4C/E sheet has been recently reprinted and is fully available again. 

Greetings

Diego

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Larry

I'd love to see the slatted wing RFs you mention. My understanding was that Greece and Turkey had 16 (new) RFs each and those were the only ones made; you would add to the global F-4 knowledge bank if it can be proved otherwise.

Iain

Indeed, eight slatted RF-4Es for the HAF and eight slatted RF-4Es for the THK , all with rounded noses.

Greetings

Diego 

Spanish slatted RFs would suggest new build RF-4Es; all my info suggests that all the Spanish a/c were former USAF RF-4Cs. Would love to be proved wrong. (PS 8+8 =16 - I knew that number came into it somewhere!)

Wow, thanks for all the replies chaps! Great info.

I'm going to be delving into the stash for the phantom this weekend. Hope I can find it quickly...

One cosmetic item you may or may not want to worry about is the aft fuselage around the afterburner nozzles was different on the jets fitted with the "short" J-79 afterburner nozzles (F-4B/C/D/RF-4C) vs those with the "long" nozzles (F-4E/F/G/J/S). Tommy Thomason's blog has an excellent post on this topic: LINK 

I'm currently modifying a 1/48 Hasegawa RF-4B to a C, and I'm using a little styrene sheet to extend the fuselage aft. It isn't too hard to do, just a little tedious in 1/48. It might be a little easier in 1/32. You'll probably have to do some minor sanding of the afterburner nozzles to get everything to fit. 

Cheers!

Ben

• Thanks 2

Quick additional question regarding the RF-4C- were they all dual control (Twin stickers in RAF parlance) ?  

I've spent the last few days staring at the revell sprues, looking through my references  and buying obscure titles from amazon and ebay, I've been bitten by the Photo Phantom bug- they look great, and have some fantastic schemes to model. 

Cheers again,

Troffa

On 6/15/2018 at 5:05 AM, iainpeden said:

Larry

Iain

Iain,

You may have misread my post. I said that none of the Spanish RF-4Cs I had pictures of had slatted wings, they were ALL unslatted.

Larry

2 hours ago, Troffa said:

Quick additional question regarding the RF-4C- were they all dual control (Twin stickers in RAF parlance) ? 

Yes, all USAF F-4s were dual control.

-Daz

P.S. once you get bitten by the 'Phantom bug', it doesn't let go... 😉

• Like 1

Thanks Dazza for the controls query, and as for those decals, they are already on their way Mr Draken!  🙂 

All of this was started after a work trip to Teruel in Spain last week.  It's now a bit of a storage airport for Airliners, but it used to be a bombing/ artillery range for the Spanish military. 

Got me thinking about Spanish Phantoms. 

Cheers,

Troffa

4 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Iain,

You may have misread my post. I said that none of the Spanish RF-4Cs I had pictures of had slatted wings, they were ALL unslatted.

Larry

I knew that (oops)