Hansa W.33 "Tiger" of Tiedemann, civil conversion of Broplan vacuformed kit, 1/72nd scale

The white background spaces for the registrations are preserved with masks. Photos show that the plane had those on top only in some photos, and also underneath in some other photos. I am representing the plane with only the top ones:

IMG_6038+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The underside of the wings is masked to receive the color bands clearly visible in photos. The rudder had the colors of the Norwegian flag -white, blue and red- and it's also masked in preparation:

IMG_6040+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

Some parts are painted. The white areas on the fuselage, and the area under the horizontal stabilizer are masked. The upper side of the horizontal stabilizer is painted as the wings and floats. A gold background is laid on the aft fuselage. Of it, only very faint and narrow lines will remain, since it's only the separation line between the "tiger/tobacco" color bands that will be applied later. Not a simple masking or scheme, this one:

IMG_6266+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

Not sure how I missed this for so long, but I'm up-to-date now! Another great build of an unusual subject, I love it!

As for the kit, the surface detail looks excellent for a vac. I've not built any Broplan but certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one if one came up of a subject I want to build.

Ian

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful work! How did you find working with the Tamiya tape?

Martian 👽

Hi Martian

Mixed feelings. On one hand it is quite pliable. On the other hand, the stickiness seems to vary (perhaps related either to the degree of stretching or the force you apply to press it down) and goes from not remaining attached to lifting patches of paint (which never happens to me with the normal Tamiya kabuki tape).

It did the job, so I would use it again, but it's not perfect.

Many lives ago I was a graphic designer (during the dark Letraset Paleo-Age) and I vaguely remember a tape that came in a Tamiya-like dispenser that looked like thin, glue-coated crepe paper. It worked perhaps better than this one, and came in a variety of widths.

Perhaps as I get more familiar with this white tape I may get more proficient or comfortable. I don't like that it stretches, like Teflon tape in a way. Cheap it is not.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the lowdown on the tape, I have some of th stuff but have been a bit reluctant to use it as I have heard widely different opinions of the stuff.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

The geometry of the parts and matching to locating holes is well within tolerances, and the whole so far has a good fit:

Good news. I know from experience that these float-to-fuselage strut geometries can get fussy!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, greggles.w said:

Good news. I know from experience that these float-to-fuselage strut geometries can get fussy!

Well, may be I spoke too soon 😉

The external struts (float to wing) are too long, and must bu cut down by perhaps 6mm, if they are to coincide with their actual location on the wing.

No biggie, I was kind of expecting it, as you mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragnarec said:

Really impressive and inspiring work! How did you figure out the colour scheme? I've only seen b/w photos of the Tiger.

Ragnar

Hi Ragnar

I made myself a Tardis:

29560285218_1ec2944efb_c.jpg

43431202871_734703584e_c.jpg

So I can travel in time 😉

But modelers without the benefit of a Tardis would have arrived to similar conclusions.

Tiedemann was a tobacco company, and had many of its vehicles decorated with a blanket array of tobacco leaves in, of course, tobacco tones. Looking at their corporate signs and stationary (that are, by the way, in color) you can extrapolate some information and apply it to the model.

The tiger was at some point the company's mascot, no doubt because tigers have colors in the same range as tobacco leaves. The line between bands on the B&W photos behaves like some metallic colors do (silver, gold). Being gold also used by Tiedemann's marketing, it was adopted.

The color of the rudder is the Norwegian flag. W29s and W33 had most of the times a CDL underneath on the flying surfaces, and grey on top. The fuselage white was established by comparison, so were the reds.  We know that the wing registration rectangular background is white.

I went so far in the research as to write to the companies that have now the Tiedemann assests, but that was a dead end. Corporations care little about history and heritage, unless they can squeeze either money and/or PR benefits. I know of cases of modelers recovering invaluable material from dumpsters filled by big name aviation companies. It's all about efficiency, the smallest possible seats and bathrooms, and packing the proverbial sardines. Ahem, slight digression.

So there is some speculation involved, as it is almost invariably the case with these less known types, but many hours were spent investigating the possibilities and carefully looking through material, written and graphic.

Other modelers and researchers may of course arrive to other conclusions and depict their choices on their models.

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 6