Hansa W.33 "Tiger" of Tiedemann, civil conversion of Broplan vacuformed kit, 1/72nd scale

This is looking to be another wonder from you, Moa.  Also, an excellent vac-form tutorial.  As someone who is fearful of these kinds of kits, you spell it out very clearly so as to avoid panic!

• Thanks 1

Hi,

An interesting built. I built IVL when it was released close to twenty years ago. What I recall from it was a missing strut between float and fuselage close to the trailing edge and flat wing when looked from ahead. I tried to get feeling that the wing has it's thickest point in the middle but I didn't manage with this correction very well. Maybe some day I give it another try?

As others say I have too found Broplan kits pretty nice to built among vacs.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, AaCee26 said:

Hi,

An interesting built. I built IVL when it was released close to twenty years ago. What I recall from it was a missing strut between float and fuselage close to the trailing edge and flat wing when looked from ahead. I tried to get feeling that the wing has it's thickest point in the middle but I didn't manage with this correction very well. Maybe some day I give it another try?

As others say I have too found Broplan kits pretty nice to built among vacs.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee

You are correct. The kit is missing two struts, but fortunately Tiger didn't have those (I will post images later when I am at my desktop). They go from the float to a position on the wing -marked on the wing lower surface as a dimple, by the way.

The problem with the wings is true. I attempted to cut an ad-hoc spar, but the only thing it did was to push the lower surface down, thus deforming the airfoil, so I didn't use it at the end.

A bent the wing parts with my hands until I got at least something of that needed shape when seen from the front. This is a noticeable fault of the kit.

Probably like you and others, I have built a large number of vacs of all qualities and brands.

The most satisfactory for me were Rareplane from the late Gordon Stevens and Khee-Kha Art Products from Lars Opland.

Broplan ones are (and again, this is always a bit subjective) somewhere in the middle, but above Contrail in my view, for example.

I feel the same subjective fondness for (injected plastic) Heller kits, yet they are not a paradigm of modeling jewellery themselves either.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 2

Tiger did not have (others did) these additional struts going from float to the wing. In any case, they are missing from the kit, as far as I can tell:

IMG_5850+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

index5.jpg

Edited by Moa
problems with the links, yet again, they wouldn't convert to images. Fixed itself somehow after several tries.
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

I seem to be falling in love with these little float planes. So much so, I snapped up an old Airfix S6B at the weekend for a couple of £.

Stuart

Yes, Stuart, that's not doubt affordable fun. I have sinned myself long ago:

29309319718_d81fca22b3_c.jpg

43180728281_939ac93e62_c.jpg

43180728141_2bbf630d67_c.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Very nice.

Keeping my 'eyes peeled' now for a Supermarine S4 in 1/72 now but think I'll be waiting a while...now look what you've done :frantic:

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I take it that you did see the Airframe vacuformed kit of the Supermarine S.4 that was with that bunch I just purchased:

43132496362_481b0ff16a_b.jpg

43132496142_8bb9d7bdc0_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1