A Scratchbuilt Frog Prince

RichO

Thanks you guys for the great comments!!

Hey Altogether,

The progress on the tires is going fine.  I have sanded down the treads to look a bit worn and I have also cleared out the center hole for the wheels.  I started to build the wheels and ran out of bolts.  New bolts in a couple of days, so back to the rear bumper and stabilizers.

In the photo below you can see how the rear of the frog looks.  This close up photo is rather sublime in it's simplicity, but much detail here.

VJHPss.jpg

This photo shows a bit better the amount of detail to add.

NmwLbL.jpg

The first parts...

g6KG8O.jpg

I was checking for center of balance to the frame, and something is not quite right,  but what?

iUW5oN.jpg

It was about here that I looked at the reference photos above, and looked at the build, and realized that the patterns I had did not represent the entire width of the bumper...

C9JqJw.jpg

You can see in the photo below that I have attempted to add the extra length to the ends of the bumper, to more closely match the photos.  The addition of the extra bits looked like the pieces were welded onto the bumper, really cool.  However I just could not get thing square and true.  So the new full length piece at the bottom...

L3XddR.jpg

The start of the stabilizer pads...

saxQb8.jpg

jQcQ1M.jpg

This is the start of the stabilizer arms...

JT5mf6.jpg

O9EycQ.jpg

The location of the Stabilizers looks much better here (like in the reference photos) than where the original patterns had shown to place these.  The Stabilizers were to be mounted to the inside of the bumper instead of at the corners.

YHHWjs.jpg

The fit looks fine so far...

VS96Wn.jpg

PdHXRi.jpg

The extension legs will be trimmed more like the photo above.  right now the frame is still up on the sawhorses (thanks again Richard) and these are extended for now...

sfUtsm.jpg

I like the way this looks...it's starting to get a feel of bulk to the build...

FRSr3v.jpg

I'll be back with more tires and wheels when I get the new supplies.  So for now, on with more of the frame stuff.

Thanks for looking........

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, RichO said:

I like the way this looks...it's starting to get a feel of bulk to the build...

And also continuing the feel of precision.

I love the way it looks. Rock on, Rich!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting today to say that this WIP is still active, altho I haven't worked on the project for a couple of weeks now.  I'm repainting the house, outside and inside, and packing to move about 40 miles away.  I'll be back when we get resettled, with a new man cave and project room.

Thanks everyone for watching this project,  I'll be back soon. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just chanced upon this. 

Amazing level of detail & scratchbuilding.

If I even thought of doing this I would have to be packed off to a mental asylum...

Mind if I draw a chair in the corner and observe??

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Frog Romance is back!   Will be starting up again in a couple of weeks.  I'll do some work on this so I have fresh photos for everyone.

Thanks All!!

• Like 2

just seen this - your scratch work is amazing. Am I right you print some of it out and stick it to the plasti-card to work around?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichO said:

Frog Romance is back!   Will be starting up again in a couple of weeks.  I'll do some work on this so I have fresh photos for everyone.

Thanks All!!

Yay! :)

• Like 1

Hey robw_uk,  you got it correct.  I have a load of fun with spray glue going everywhere.

Hey Steve!!

• Like 1

• RichO changed the title to A Scratchbuilt Frog Prince

Hey All,

So, "in a couple weeks" has turned into 6 months.  With a new title for the build, I will be starting again slowly.

Most everything has survived the move.  The storage box for the Frog held up fine for a year and a half, despite being buried under a bunch of other boxes.

qdiLDI.jpg

I was a little afraid to open this at first.  I haven't see this in a year and a half and did not remember the box being so thin.

it looks like everything is in ok shape.

9vskmW.jpg

Once I got things unwrapped, there was some small damage to the suspension system that will have to be taken care of before I start building anything new.

KKv5YO.jpg

ca06cq.jpg

I'll be back with some close ups of the damage and the start to the fix. And then off to the build, proper.

Looks like this is where I need to start after I get thing sorted.

FRSr3v.jpg

I'll need to get everything squared away for this build, but it looks like this is about where I left off.

I'll be back with a real update soon.

Thanks everyone for watching.  Rich

• Like 7

Nice to be back Kev!

Hey John, looks to be more that three years this time.

Hey All,

Upon farther inspection this weekend, I found several places where I need to repair the build before I proceeded.

I need to replace a small support triangle frame that has been broken off.

NS3DHZ.jpg

You can see the back piece of the part still stuck to the frame. 

The next repairs will be a good place to start with cutting and building.  These small pieces have a lot of small parts.

fijQtc.jpg

In this photo you can see the top mounting for the shock absorbers on the top of the frame.

Drkg0g.jpg

I am missing one of four.  I found three corners of supports.  

6PblJd.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you scratchers, but trying to replicate just one and get it to match the rest is not going to happen'.  So I'll rebuild these four to match each other.  Then I will be just where I left off, some time ago.

Neo2gJ.jpg

PhvOZw.jpg

I have all the parts to start with the suspension system, and soon it will be up on it's feet.  Stay tuned.

Thanks for watching, Rich

• Like 11

4 hours ago, RichO said:

I don't know about the rest of you scratchers, but trying to replicate just one and get it to match the rest is not going to happen'.

Got to agree.....

or it turns out better :giggle:

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

• Like 1

Hey All, Thanks for the great comments.

A quick posting today.

The shock mounts have been replicated and are ready for install.

Cutting fresh parts,  This is the first cuttings in a year and a half.

The pieces...

2OPh9H.jpg

I'm using MasterClub resin bolts, a very good product.

Fresh made shock mounts.  The three old one in the back.

ycOYje.jpg

And fresh back from the paint Dept...

vN3x9P.jpg

These represent the parts that had come off in the move.  Once I get these installed I will be even with my postings, and starting anew with the Suspension System.

I'll be back with the parts for this next step, (more parts than I remember).

Thanks for watching, Rich

• Like 8