A Scratchbuilt Frog Prince

RichO

Thank all you guys for the nice comments!

Hey All,

Boy did I have fun building this steering linkage.  I'm sure you can hear the sarcasm abound.  Once I got the path of the linkage worked out, it was all fun and games.  

The frame is getting quite crowded, and I had just enough space to get the styrene rods through the maze of tight spots.  I built a mock up of the route and connections to get the best idea of how things all fit together.  Once I got everything sorted I built the final Steering Linkage.

The first part........

cRiCEs.jpg

You can see that the connections are very raw here.  I was just after a moving joint, and to clear the path...,

Front..

I1iZhM.jpg

Back...

Q9iI5F.jpg

I finally got the path worked out and got the linkage flexible enough to move...

HigfYP.jpg

Some small parts...

lQTdWV.jpg

Starting to add the details...

JNO23Q.jpg

When I got it all sorted, it was off to the paint shop...

RVTDh0.jpg

The new parts look so nice in their new home,  front...

IqMflB.jpg

Back....

vcI5DQ.jpg

This is starting to get dirty...

BYbKmb.jpg

uQ3iGB.jpg

i0Oguz.jpg

Now that I have the Steering Linkage built and installed, you can barely see it,  It's all going to get covered up with a ton of items anyway, but I sure had a time building this.

Next up is a relatively simple item.  The Exhaust Mufflers and Pipes.

Thanks All, for Watching..........

• Like 9

For this kind of work in Croatia we say
"Bring fuel and take it off" or shorter
"Spend and Drive"
My friend ..... the amount of detail you are doing is amazing.
Well done!!!
I'm following with interest 👌

• Haha 1

Thanks Guys.  Great comments!

Lets get to Spending and Driving...

This photo shows various materials that I was considering to use for the Exhaust Muffler.  You can see that I was just going to cut off a length of something, and paint it a rust color.  I looked at various photos of old mufflers and got the idea to make these from card.  That way I could really abuse these well, and get some real rot going on here.

m7NTDW.jpg

I can get smaller details with using card.

uLHloE.jpg

Painted and rusted through...

XFvr8J.jpg

I was getting ready to install the Mufflers when I ran into a slow down.  The path of the Exhaust Pipes, goes out over the frame.  It was time to close up the frame, and get all this into one unit.

nUhQyW.jpg

YvnRkS.jpg

And just like that, the top of the frame is secured and installed, and everything is clean and tidy.  Installing the top of the frame has made the whole thing very solid and heavy.

5ziW7H.jpg

Freshly aged....

YOlCNf.jpg

Now that I have the top of the Frame installed, I can get to thing topside.  I have to secure the Mufflers and get the Exhaust Pipes routed.

I'll be back.........Thanks All

• Like 9

On 10/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, Sandlapper said:

Very very good work. I really like how everything looks functional because the weathering matches use. 

Good Job!

Thanks Sandlapper!   BTW, everything is functional, (at least the steering so far).

I just thought I would show you guys...tires turned all the way to the left...

ei9Qlj.jpg

Tires centered...

bZtJmV.jpg

And all the way to the right...

F21EMh.jpg

The actual model has a total movement of 4mm to turn this beast...and remember, both front and back corners steer.

Thanks All.............

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

It's been a while cairde, since my last post.  The build just dose not look the same any more.  I have added items to the top side of the frame that are making things look a bit more crowded.  It's been a good build week with a good plan of what I'm doing, but you know how these thing just don't last, so all's right with the world for the moment.

At this time I'm sort of building all around the top side, just to add items that I need, and to get the inner details before I cover everything up.  I'm at that new point in the build where I can just about build anything in any order.  For this report I have added a bunch of Bracing.

These parts are stiffeners to brace the top side of the frame.  Same as the bottom, just mirrored...

Weuf7J.jpg

These parts below are for a Control Box and a side mount Support...

0cqj5o.jpg

This is the start of a sub frame that supports both the Hoist Crane, and the Rocket Catapult...

cwxitK.jpg

A batch of new items for the paint shop...

kxcQR0.jpg

A close idea of where these items are to be placed...

ZQyV71.jpg

This Control Box lives at the center of the frame under the Rocket Catapult.  It appears to control both the Hoist Crane and the Catapult.  I can't really find a good photo of this item due to, it's so deep under everything.  I'm also not sure if these are Control Cables, or Hydraulic Hoses...

kntIxG.jpg

OmlVQa.jpg

I just sort of used a generic looking material, knowing that this will also disappear from view...

XH4lfG.jpg

Like most items with this build, I don't have much room to place things...

BxR0O9.jpg

At the moment I have not painted the new items.  I can see thing easier this way for now...

JsVMlH.jpg

R4qkYK.jpg

Now that everyone has seen these new items, I can paint, and everything will disappear into itself...

Up next is the finishing of the Suspension System, and thinking about Wheels and Tires...

Thanks All..........

• Like 12

This project is getting better every day, though it started out as a masterpiece already 😂. Let's just call it most amazing.🍻

That wear and tear you have added is just perfect and

my jaw smashed the keyboard now as it dropped.

/ Stef

• Haha 1

Hey Guys,

A brief report for today.  I have been finishing the suspension system and starting work on the wheels and tires.  

My tire construction is very different than the tires I built for the Maz.  This time around I have a much better control of the tire shape and the roundness of it.  

I'll start with what I have for the suspension.  I finished up building the corner post for the top end of the shock absorber.

A few parts to construct these tiny corner posts...

Alo3hU.jpg

I'll paint the bottom end of the shocks when I get ready to close this up...

vN28oA.jpg

These items are very small and hard for me to see, but it all will blend in when I'm done...

IRIyN9.jpg

Time for some rubber...

The wheel construction was a bit intense.  I had quite a small space to work with ...

Ka0Qws.jpg

Master Club bolts...

cwWlsV.jpg

The tires are a series of card "doughnuts", that ascend in size to get the side curve...

tZo7RL.jpg

A serious amount of cleanup here. The tire needs to be cleaned and the wheels need a back side...

dvEKbY.jpg

I'll get everything sanded, and then cut the 1.5 million treads to mount on the tire skin.  I might be able to start casting these this week.

Thanks for watching everyone...

• Like 6

Can’t believe I have been missing this build Rich.  Spectacular and nuts in equal measure, nothing more than we expect from you.  Been missing my fix of the Maz so chuffed to find this build progressing.  Goes without saying that it looks great so far

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

Apparently it was time for my annual "builders block" the last couple of weeks.  This came as quite a surprise to me, as I thought I was doing alright with this build.  That is until I tried to put the rubber to the road, then it all went down hill.

You can see in the last photo, of the above post.  I have constructed the tire with my new "doughnut" technique.  All's well so far.  In the photo below you can see how I have sanded a flat spot (to make a weighted tire), I next put on a flat piece to cover this hole for casting.

You can see how the "doughnuts" are arranged to get the tire shape...

EYYstL.jpg

This is all sealed up and ready for casting...

HpGaWI.jpg

It was at this point were everything went sideways.  I had finished the prep work for the mold.  I built the Lego container to pour the rubber into, I sealed up the container to the bottom so no rubber would leak out, and got ready to cast the tire blank.  I glued the tire to the bottom of the mold and now I'm ready to pour the rubber.  Because things are wet, I had a few minutes to get some coffee and do some chores while the glue dried.  Obviously I didn't do chores for long enough.  

I got back and proceeded to mix half of my rubber stash.  Everything looks good, so I poured the rubber into the mold.  Perfect!  So I set the mold aside to cure, and off I went to do other things.  I came back a few hours later and entered the twilight zone.  Some of the rubber had leaked out of the bottom, not to bad tho.  Just enough to spill outside my container container and down the front of the chest.  The tire blank had come unglued from the container bottom and had floated, like a balloon ,to the top of the pour so half the tire was sticking out above the rubber surface.  And everything was coated in a thick coat of rubber NOT drying, all over everything.  $15. American for the rubber waste.

I was using older rubber mix and the "hardener" didn't work so well.  The cast took about four days to harden, and still had a fair amount of goo when I removed the tire.  In all it took about a week to deal with the tire mess.  I lost my mojo, the holidays are here, in America its Thanksgiving Holiday.  No building for two weeks.

A couple of days ago the mojo switch was turned on again and thing are going forward.  I cleaned my tire blank and rebuilt the mold and cast my tire blank for the treads

DZz1dO.jpg

You can see here that I have added layers of card to get the tire to bulge.  I sanded these smooth on the cast...

gk4SbN.jpg

I was surprised at this photo.  the tire bulge looks much better in person...

ufIr3r.jpg

First treads...

O5a5BY.jpg

Only a million more to go...

PC4bmo.jpg

Now that I have everything going again, I will start building the rear bumper/stabilizers to break up the tedium of the treads.  I'll be back when I get the progress going again

Thanks for looking everyone!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

It's been a wacky month of families, holidays, food and booze.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!  I hope everyone had a good time of it, but it's time to get back to work.

I left off with starting to tread my tires.  With all the distractions of the holidays I managed to turn a weeks worth of work into a month long job.

8iOJff.jpg

Once I got the treads applied to the blank, I painted everything to get it all waterproof.  Then it was off to building the mold box.

KqhXpT.jpg

pyHI3G.jpg

Once I got the mold made and ready for casting, it was time to pour the tires...

QtZjyp.jpg

Eight new tires ready for finishing...

PFW0SY.jpg

I'll be back soon with cleaning these and mounting to the frame, along with hubs and wheels...

• Like 7