A Scratchbuilt Frog Prince

RichO

Hey Guys,

it's been a busy week of putting all the small subassemblies together into a single unit.  I had a ton of stuff to place around the Launch Base.  And a lot of fun trying to keep calm while all the small stuff got crammed into place.  Believe it or don't, I still have a mess of items to build for this location.

kDfSCi.jpg

brCuUk.jpg

I knew when I started this it would be "interesting" to build........

GjhWBu.jpg

Then everything gets painted........

0iJcKR.jpg

6wby27.jpg

All this is installed to this location...........

fcELJL.jpg

Ht0EuL.jpg

I'm fairly happy with this so far.  I still have a bit to go before I can secure this permanently.

Leaving this for a while, I finished painting the navigation droid, and started with storage bins.

The out side bins have a frame that mounts to the fenders.  This is built and installed temp.

bWptaz.jpg

WbDezk.jpg

Building the frame for the store bins......

236ze5.jpg

jKdiCH.jpg

79gywO.jpg

Navigation Droid placed...........

dIoov0.jpg

You can see that my paint started spitting all over the place.  I didn't want to remove the paint so I'll just cover it up with dirt and weathering when I get there.

TXseRh.jpg

7qvd61.jpg

kUhLP6.jpg

I still have a ridiculous amount of items to be placed around the Launch Base yet.  Plenty more to build just for this location.

I'll be back with more of this really fun build.  Thanks All.........

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, RichO said:

I knew when I started this it would be "interesting" to build........

And it's fascinating to watch. I'm proud to have contributed the term 'Navigation droid' to the build. And really pleased that you kept it. Many Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've got to echo @Pete in Lincs, with a change, my take is  "interesting build" might be the understatement of the year!  this is a remarkable build - in terms of process and content - really great stuff - and very helpful, to see your technique/fabrication/assembly. 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RichO said:

Believe it or don't, I still have a mess of items to build for this location.

Oh, I believe it. Having followed this build from the start, I wouldn't expect anything else. Brilliant work Rich.

John.

• Thanks 1

Just caught up on your progress, and I’m very impressed. That’s one really difficult subject you have chosen for yourself but you are absolutely mastering it! 👍

• Thanks 1

You guys are really killing it with the nice comments. Thank You All.

I had a nice long weekend of build time, and, as things start to close in on the finish of this build, I find everything seems to be going faster with all the little details.

I finished several more items and I'm ready to start with the Launch Rail mini build.

I built a store cabinet that is tucked in between two fenders under the store bins. 

This is just one large container that is stuffed under here.........

GWHu9J.jpg

After that, I built the Launch Arms.  These live under the main launch rail and attach to the launch base and support and lift the launch rail when ready to fire the missile.

Launch Arm stuff........

Ujs2EU.jpg

Some tricky bends, but all worked out well in the end (ouch!)   This all attaches to the launch base here........

0w8ko2.jpg

This will rest down in the groove and support the launch rail.

Adz3kD.jpg

qasqja.jpg

Painted.........

8IwHWV.jpg

1Zjovu.jpg

I have just started with the building of the Launch Rail.  This really adds some more length to the over all size of the build.  I have started with the inside support structure and thought I should show this before I get to far along.

Launch Rail........

geOFjG.jpg

WGgm70.jpg

As you can see, The raw rail is as long as the entire build.  I have to skin this, and add all the hoses, wires, details, and support gear for the launch system.

I'll be back, hopefully with a built Launch Rail.    Until Next Time............

• Like 15

9 hours ago, RichO said:

You guys are really killing it with the nice comments.

One more blow to it :rofl::
 - the model with all of these sophisticated details looks incredibly.
I’m almost used to what you’re doing, but you still surprise me.

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

Launch rail looks good Rich.  Sometimes you do a kit an the rail would kind of fit & almost sit right.  The nice thing about building it from scratch is that the fit is just right.  I can’t imagine that everything on a truck like this was built to the finest of tolerances though & I am sure bits got reused from other vehicles too. You must have some great reference pictures to build from!

• Thanks 1

Hey Bar,    I have original Russian plans and mechanic maintenance hand books.  Also vector line drawings of all the most important parts.  Plus of course, a ton of photos.  And, I am reusing parts from other builds and scraps to add to the confusion.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,   A short report today.  The Launch Rail build is going smoothly enough.  I had to build this out of a crazy combo of mixed materials.  This all looks sorta wild until painted.  Not much in the way of building this, just details on a rail.

s5QVoQ.jpg

dULZ7A.jpg

uEcEwj.jpg

UzUkTh.jpg

gJYi0x.jpg

xNgEgO.jpg

It's now time to marry all this together.  The Launch Base gets mounted to the Zil carrier, and then the Launch Rail mounts to the Launch Base.  Afterwards, the hook ups between the two.  Hoses, cables, mechanicals.........

I'll be back,  with more Russian engineering, later all.........

• Like 10

I wrote earlier that what you are doing is incredible. I can only repeat that. 👍

Vytautas

P.S. I’ve also written earlier that I doubt if you’re really human. Suspicions have arisen because I think that real people are incapable of such a thing. And you know what, the suspicions remained... And with each of your posts, there are more and more of them...:rofl:

• Thanks 1

Ok everyone, I've figured out the plot for World Domination. He's building this missile in the guise of a model but when it's done he'll point it at the nearest government building and demand a transfer of power to him.

You've been rumbled, now we know the reason for such ultra detailing. 

Great work mate, keep it up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Ok everyone, I've figured out the plot for World Domination. He's building this missile in the guise of a model but when it's done he'll point it at the nearest government building and demand a transfer of power to him.

You've been rumbled, now we know the reason for such ultra detailing. 

Great work mate, keep it up

Tbh, with all the work he's put in, he deserves it..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichO said:

Hey All,   A short report today.  The Launch Rail build is going smoothly enough.  I had to build this out of a crazy combo of mixed materials.  This all looks sorta wild until painted.  Not much in the way of building this, just details on a rail.

It's now time to marry all this together.  The Launch Base gets mounted to the Zil carrier, and then the Launch Rail mounts to the Launch Base.  Afterwards, the hook ups between the two.  Hoses, cables, mechanicals.........

I'll be back,  with more Russian engineering, later all.........

… The foot bone's connected to the leg bone 
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone 
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone 

Sorry that was going through my head while I read your post Rich!

• Haha 1

Howdy All,

I have finished with building the Launch Rail, and have moved on to greener pastures.  The install of the launch rail was fairly easy with a rotator joint and some cabling.

tNhDje.jpg

The rail sits up over the cab and engines.  The lift arms attach under the rails, and the hinge is in the back.  That's it

tgZHkP.jpg

' doesn't really look like much with the rail down, but with a little help, the young prince has his first rail lift.....

DMDkCb.jpg

Cabling.....

855T07.jpg

All hosed up..........

EphiMJ.jpg

After the Launch Rail was finished, for now, I moved on to more paraphernalia on "The Other Side".  Bwa ha ha.......The end is in site!

xnkfjw.jpg

I had an other store locker, and a cable reel, and more.......still a lot of little items.  I also started building the Hoist Crane.  Starting at the bottom...

Sr5qpx.jpg

w1Q8SB.jpg

BlVElj.jpg

This is the bottom end of the Hoist Crane.  This has a rotator motor that is used to rotate the crane for loading and unloading.

5f47vb.jpg

QY1j8I.jpg

I also built a what?  A Launch Chair?...

5dnvFb.jpg

You can see where this is installed to.  I can't quite figure it tho.  It has a blast shield on top as if somebody is supposed to sit here when the missile launches!  It looks more like a lid on a barbi.  And that makes sense, if your going to sit there when the missile launches. ?

4C1SiG.jpg

You can see it behind the cable reel.  I still need to upholster it.

t2y7KE.jpg

This is where I'm at at the moment with the build.

DMDkCb.jpg

I have started with the Hoist Crane Base and have it installed.  I'm ready to start with the crane it's self. 

I'll be back...........Thanks for watching.

• Like 12

Fabulous as always, Rich. maybe the 'launch chair' is where the mechanic sits. The guy who keeps this technical nightmare running!

Whichever, 'Launch chair'? Include me out!

• Haha 1

Thanks Guys for the nice comments during this build!

Hey All.

I have come to a huge milestone with this build.  I am done.  With any major sub-assemblies.  No more construction of major parts.  This marks the end of the build with the major subject it self.  I will now take a week or three to finish off all the little things to tighten up this build.  And I have a ton of stuff to finish.

Meanwhile, this is the finish of the Hoist Crane.

I had several sub assemblies to get this to a finished stage.  The rotator motor and extra fuel cans squeeze between the two back fenders.

construction of fuel cans and rack.........

0v1ZPZ.jpg

v8WB7a.jpg

The fuel cans rack lives here...........

YoZrUk.jpg

Next up, was the Hoist Crane Base........

OnP0dG.jpg

wtktnl.jpg

The lift arm for the hoist crane...

yvnHNW.jpg

The main crane arm.........

1PrjlI.jpg

a8kvR0.jpg

It looks like it will work.......

pGADKP.jpg

Starting the hoist hook.........

CizeKf.jpg

OIieQV.jpg

I finally got to the point of joining the last two major sub assemblies..........

Ggl2Y3.jpg

This is such a beautiful photo for me.  This marks the end of all hostilities towards this build, and the truce has been signed.  I am finally at piece with this and can finish all the little things without worrying if could even deal with the build.........

Z6OfB3.jpg

IG8nhq.jpg

The young prince has his second major extension, and all is well.

I'll be back with a mess of small stuff to finish up the WIP postings.   Be back later All..........

• Like 11

Thanks for checking in everyone!

I have finished up with the cab build.  I have placed all the little fiddly bits, that I'm sure will get knocked off at some point before it goes on the shelf.

The list of some items to finish for this part were to fit the doors, mirrors, antenna, tow hook and cable, spot light, grates, and general doodads.

Three people have looked at my build in person, and no one has noticed, no windows.

43PmJ3.jpg

i3bZpl.jpg

EJyJcz.jpg

Of course this will all get really dirty and messy when RfI is viewed.

OxORly.jpg

OYUywJ.jpg

It all looks terrible this close, but will be even worse when done.

I'll be moving from front to back as the end is in site.  Until next time.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, RichO said:

Three people have looked at my build in person, and no one has noticed, no windows.

Are you selling tickets? Where do I apply? Who needs windows? These Russian troops are hard! (We don't need no steenkin' windows!)

It looks fabulous, Rich. The RFI will certainly be worth the wait.

• Thanks 1

Not been looking into the armoured section lately but glad I did to catch up on this monster build again amazing work Richard 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 1

Hey All,

A short report for today.  Not much more to do.

I finished with the remaining small items that I want to deal with.  All that was left to finish was, connecting the tow hook to the crane, a shield over the engines, and a small control box.

I am going to leave the engine covers unbuilt.  In the world, the engine bay would be sealed around, with a launch rail shield molded into the top.  All of this would have a stash of tools mounted to the top.  I wanted people to see the engine detail, so, open it is.

ZrKXyf.jpg

Odxk7V.jpg

YOST6B.jpg

I see a small fit issue here, then this gets secured final.

I'll try to get more slack on the cable......

r0jVSc.jpg

And then was a control box.  With connecting wires to the launch rail, and the hoist crane....

LhfNW0.jpg

It lives here........

nsvEZb.jpg

Front fenders and tires, That's it.

6Z3kFh.jpg

The build is now complete!  I need to secure the front fenders and mount the tires for photos.  I'll now spend a few days painting and weathering and adding just general dirtyness.  I will see you all in a few day in RFI section.

Thanks for watching everyone.   WIP is closed.  RichO

• Like 13