A Scratchbuilt Frog Prince

RichO

29 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

To say that that cab is "busy", is the understatement of the year. Brilliant work Rich.

John.

Seconded! Since my English is poor, I can't find the right words for that, so I have to quote others...

Vytautas

• Like 2

You guys are just great with the comments.  I'm glad everyone is following along.

Hey Guys,

This week was installing the cab into the cab frame.  The actual install was just slipping this into place, but getting everything to squeeze into the cab when putting the roof on was quite a tight fit.

The build for the roof was very simple, and only the interior lamp and the sun visors needed to be built.

All I did for the sun visors was a bit of card, wrapped with .05mm styrene rod.

3Vh6Sw.jpg

This is turned over and secured into place.  Once the fit was tight I sealed this up with the remaining cab skeleton top, so the roof is sealed inside permanent. 

0g4Ezb.jpg

It is such a tight fit in the cab that photos, are what they are.

wl0rwE.jpg

All tightened up and ready for some skin.

dElRFW.jpg

2aVquT.jpg

And it all lives about right here.

60sb5x.jpg

The skinning of the cab looks to be a ridiculous sort of affair.  Wrapping around the cab, much like around the radiator vents.  Just crazier.  

That's it for this week.  I had an art commission so not much done.  This week ahead, I will find out if this all is a really bad idea with the skin wrap.  More photos to come.

Thanks All.....

• Like 14

Hey Altogether,

I spent most of this week cutting out the craziest shapes, and getting stressed about fitting these into place.  I bounced around a bit with the skin.  I also worked on the doors.

The crazy shapes to work with........

HqrvDc.jpg

The doors are doors and not so hard to build.

nZXsC3.jpg

I made the leather stow bags from brown paper grocery bag soaked in water and PVA glue.

I used the rod to hold the shape...

gheG5C.jpg

Then I would go back to work on the cab skin and get thing bent into shape, sort of....  I test fit as I go but I think I got things a bit tight.  More struggles ensuing.

yaS6r3.jpg

Then I would go back to the doors.........

Making the little latches was about the hardest thing to build for the doors.....

vkEhiR.jpg

PU1ut2.jpg

And these live here......

wEZ9Fd.jpg

So that's about it for this week.  I'll cut the windows and detail the outside of the doors and continue to wrap the skin.

I might have something in place next time.  Thanks All.......

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Spring has sprung and modeling has slowed somewhat.  I've been busy working with my Dio and doing yard work.

I have managed to skin the top and back of the cab.  I started with an easy piece to get into shape.  Once I had this portion bent into place it was off to the paint shop.

A little more sanding ......

erCJWb.jpg

Nice clean paint.....

UaqtG0.jpg

This lives here....

AoQ1UI.jpg

ISAZ08.jpg

2QYo3M.jpg

The color's coming around...

I'll be back with more skin next time.  Thanks All.

• Like 12

19 hours ago, RichO said:

Spring has sprung and modelling has slowed somewhat.

So I'm not the only one who has to put modelling on hold to go do some gardening then ;)

You must have used hundreds and hundreds of the MC resin bolts on this epic journey of yours.

Matt

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So I'm not the only one who has to put modelling on hold to go do some gardening then ;)

You must have used hundreds and hundreds of the MC resin bolts on this epic journey of yours.

Matt

Gardening?  It’s been Baltic here.  Frozen over night so can’t get out to do anything in the garden.  I tried to take a picture of my latest Spitfire in the garden and the wind nearly blew it away before it started tried to snow.  Hardly UK April weather.

• Haha 2

Hey Guys,

Not to much progress this posting, however this was a big step!  I got the nose of the cab built and finally installed.  I still have a bit of work to smooth things out, but, installed and in place.

f8E4E3.jpg

yh4TAH.jpg

v9q8Lm.jpg

WkTGtV.jpg

wVBBxr.jpg

MnjbyQ.jpg

I have a bit of puttying to do, and sanding, with details for the nose to add, but the cab skin is on.  YA!

This is where the build is as of tonight.  The single hardest part of the build is behind me.  I'll report back with whatever is next.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Rich, Impressive work as always. I think the expression for the looks of the cab is 'Homely'. 

Only a Mother could love the design.

Yes, what Pete said. Aesthetics never really figured in Soviet designs.

John.

• Like 2

Hey guys, thanks for your brutal comments.  Appreciated.

Hey All,

Work with the cab continues.  I have done most of the putty work and added most of the out side details.  I still have a load of items to add to the cab, but, light at the end of the tunnel.   I thought about leaving the putty work in the corners as is, just because when fiberglass gets bashed, you have to fill it with bondo putty to repair.

I also started to add the exterior details.

mjMNz5.jpg

WmN49p.jpg

k5bFwl.jpg

FmdKHu.jpg

You can see that I still have a lot to do with this. Mirrors, grab handles, door handles........

Still a ways to go before all is finished.

All the littles details are quite tedious to work on, so, Back Bumper time.

JuB9Y3.jpg

YoT9Tr.jpg

The back bumper was partially started before the move and storage.  I haven't seen this for a while, so I have to think on where I left off on this build.  You can see tho, the Blast Brace extended......

i8kAUS.jpg

The Blast Brace retracted.  

6MkSBs.jpg

I'll do a good once over on this back bumper, get caught up on what's left to do with this, and get it painted and installed.  Also sally forth on the cab details.

Thanks All for dropping by.

• Like 16

Hey Guys,

A quick posting for now.  I have come to the point of moving on from the cab.  I still have a ton of items to be placed on the exterior of the cab, but I do not want to loose or break off all the items that hang off the cab.

fWh3CZ.jpg

As you can see, a ton of things to add.  Antennas, spot lights, mirrors, grab handles........a list of items that are very fragile to build and keep in good order, all the way to the display cabinet.

So what I'm going to do, is just move to the rear bumper, and save all the delicate items for the final rendering.

qWQV2S.jpg

Including, fitting the doors and grates and straps and.........what ever else, when I come back to this.

I'm creeping up on the end of the build for the Zill carrier.  I have the rear bumper and then just the missile crane to build, and the truck will be finished.  The launch system is a nightmare I'll deal with afterwards tho.

Ill be back with the bumper madness next time.

Thanks All.............

• Like 12

Hey,

So I have finished with the back bumper and I have made a change in my build procedure.  I will not build the hoisting crane next.  The hoisting crane for the missile is located on the outer rim of the frame.  All the launch equipment is centered.  I need to work from the center out, not backwards.

The build for the back bumper also contains items for the launch system.  The main launch frame rests on top of the bumper assembly.

Items for the back bumper.........

TGEvhP.jpg

Once I had all this put together, it was paint time.

qUW46X.jpg

A few more items need to be installed with the launch system, to be built before the hoist crane.

aBlYfz.jpg

I'll be back with the start of the launch platform which all rests on the top of the big curved "I" beam.

3YCPtE.jpg

I get to dirty this up quite a bit to blend in with the rest of the metal, this all gets ugly with rest of the build at the end.

I'm off the start the Launch System build.  Part Two of the Frog Prince story.

Thanks!.........

• Like 13

Finishes off the back end nicely.  What with the engines & covers, cab and rear bumper I kind of want to see her on her wheels.  Looking forward to the launch system although I must admit the truck is my favourite part, looking forward to those fragile bits that really bring it alive

• Like 1

Hey All,  Thanks everyone, for checking in.             I had a good build week this week, but just a lot of small items for the Launch Base.  The Launch Base sits on top of the rear bumper and also the mid frame support.  This is not quite a goose-neck base, but very similar.  A hefty support for the rest of the launch gear.  Also this has all sorts of things inside the frame, and I'm just getting started with this part of the launch build.

IDknHM.jpg

This lives about here....

3mRYr4.jpg

Now I get to stuff it with all kinds of goodies.               I'm thinking that this might be a hydraulic pump, maybe, or something.

DR6XsR.jpg

cx4PGR.jpg

Just a lot of parts, and very small.

s3x47e.jpg

6IRnif.jpg

This sits about here and gets hosed and wired into place.

gWWIig.jpg

Some of the items.  This all fits about as close as the engine bay build.

Tfl5jA.jpg

Just getting started.......

P92pUP.jpg

This is where I'm at tonight with the Launch Base build.  

mAagbI.jpg

I still have an incredible amount of items to squeeze into this, and around this, small space, plus all the piping.  I have very good references for this area tho, so I'm just going to have to slug it out for a bit.

I'll be back with more Launch Base build next time.

• Like 12

Hey Guys,

I've been slugging it out for about a week now, and these sub assemblies are very small and never ending.  I have started to bounce around a bit to help with the stress of these tiny builds.  Not a huge report today, but very busy.

I'm not sure what kind of box this is but, it was a nice quick change of pace to build.

c7OUUX.jpg

It lives about here........

7OfQQ9.jpg

Then more of the tiny build.....

OT9KSn.jpg

dOZi0c.jpg

58Won2.jpg

Not much of a report this time, but I still have a ton of tiny items to build for this Launch Base, so I'll be busy for a while still.

Be back with more stuff later.........Thanks All

• Like 13

3 hours ago, RichO said:

I'm not sure what kind of box this is

In that second picture, perched on the chassis, it looks like an early Russian attempt at a navigation Droid.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vytautas said:

Unbelievable!

An ordinary person would certainly not be able to do what you are doing here.
Are you really human? If yes, are you really sure about that? :rofl:

Vytautas

He's clearly found a way of shrinking himself down to 1/35 scale to work on this vehicle.... ;)

• Haha 4