Heinkel He70 Revell 1/72

While my Me 163 and He 162 builds drift along, I found I wanted something that was going to actually make measurable progress, and I was unable to resist this. Whether it will make progress is another matter altogether!

The Heinkel He70 was one of those super transitional designs of the early 1930's. Designed as a fast mail plane and small-capacity airliner, it set speed records on its maiden flight, and was significantly faster than the RAF's premier fighter of the time, the Hawker Fury. As well as its civilian role, it entered military service as a fast reconnaissance platform and light bomber.

The Heinkel's early super speed was soon matched, and with this advantage gone, its military usefulness waned. This waning was speeded up by issues around its construction. 

The Heinkel was built from a super-light metal alloy called Elektron. Electron has a density of only two-thirds that of duralamin, with similar strength, making it very attractive as a material for building high-performance aircraft. Elektron is a magnesium alloy, and has the property of being very easy to ignite, and once ignited, being almost impossible to extinguish. In point of fact, it was widely used during the war as the material for constructing incendiary bombs. Couple this with unprotected fuel tanks and plywood skinning, the Heinkel gained a reputation as a total firetrap. It would probably have been possible to swap the Elektron for conventional dural and substitute the BMW engine for something like a DB601 to maintain/improve the power to weight ratio but you would still be left with a design which was too much aircraft for not enough bombload. The Heinkels ended their days as liaison aircraft and for transporting high-ranking Luftwaffe officers.

The kit is, I believe an ICM offering re-boded by Revell. The parts are nicely moulded in fairly soft grey plastic, with some lovely surface detail and a comprehensive interior. I sprayed the interior with RLM 02, which was then drybrushed and given a wash of dark grey. The only thing I've added is seatbelts. 

42780972041_9cacd69ce4_k_d.jpg

The kit allows the building of the airline version, with an additional fuselage door and a solid roof, or the military version with the long greenhouse canopy. To do the latter, one needs to carve out a section of the upper fuselage. This is very clearly marked on the kit and is easy to accomplish.

27911875287_b2210fe3a2_k_d.jpg

The kit instrument panels are moulded in clear plastic with some intricate dial detail, which is supplemented by some rather nice decals. 

This shows the navigator/observer's instruments. These were presumably those needed to allow dead reckoning.

28906956428_e01a398878_k_d.jpg

The pilot's panel is larger and more comprehensive, and the rear area is supplemented with the radio set.

42730810032_07b265e633_k_d.jpg

Next step is to get the fuselage together. The bulkheads need a bit of sanding to size/shape to allow a tight fit. Nothing too dramatic, but I'm not convinced that out of the box it work at all. There are alignment/location pins, but they're small and the holes are very shallow, so it takes a bit of care.

• Like 11

Have you already decided which scheme you chose? If you need some additional materials I have some, maybe useful ;) , just PM...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Mitch,

I am not too sure what a He 70 looks like, although I guess I could google that, if I were not so idle...

Your work looks rather nice and precise. Great start!

Are you going to do a plane from Bosnia-Herzegovina or Borduria?

Have fun!!!!

JR

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JWM said:

Have you already decided which scheme you chose? If you need some additional materials I have some, maybe useful ;) , just PM...

Regards

J-W

Jerzy, many thanks! I am planning to build the aircraft represented in the kit - a utility bird serving with Luftdienst-Kommando 62 at  Zwischenahn, so a nice, simple RLM 70/71 over 65. I've made promises before about building out of the box, I know, but this time I intend to keep the promise! Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Mitch,

I am not too sure what a He 70 looks like, although I guess I could google that, if I were not so idle...

Your work looks rather nice and precise. Great start!

Are you going to do a plane from Bosnia-Herzegovina or Borduria?

Have fun!!!!

JR

Everybody knows the Bordurians didn't operate this variant! They used a version of the Hungarian airframes, replacing the WM-built engine with the extremely rare Bristol Hippocampus radial. 🙄

Keep up dear boy! In  case you're worried I'm going too mainstream, I have Romanian and Croatian builds planned!

• Haha 3

Interesting to see the ICM kit - it is much more detailed than Matchbox (Revell) from my stash.... I am going to do mine in SCW colours, I have already radial He 170 done in Hungarian livery. 

Regarding Luftwaffe schemes there is a strange scheme on Wing Palette with all wing bottom yellow

2_2.jpg

Have a happy time with it

J-W

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mitch K said:

Everybody knows the Bordurians didn't operate this variant! They used a version of the Hungarian airframes, replacing the WM-built engine with the extremely rare Bristol Hippocampus radial. 🙄

Keep up dear boy! In  case you're worried I'm going too mainstream, I have Romanian and Croatian builds planned!

Phhhewww, Mitch!!!

For a second there, you go me worried!!! You, building Luftwaffe aircraft???!!!! Where was our world going?

I do apologize for my horrid mistake about the Bordurians' variant. I am re-reading Tintin , the in extenso Croatian edition!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

Was fondling this kit covetously in my LMS only an hour ago - now I have to resist temptation all over again! Especially with the yellow wings. And it would fit both my experimental aircraft department and the record breakers...

Anyway, let ssee how this build goes first. Yeah right...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Phhhewww, Mitch!!!

For a second there, you go me worried!!! You, building Luftwaffe aircraft???!!!! Where was our world going?

I do apologize for my horrid mistake about the Bordurians' variant. I am re-reading Tintin , the in extenso Croatian edition!

Cheers.

JR

That Bristol Hippocampus - the world's only horizontal radial engine!😄

I've built Luftwaffe aircraft before and I probably will again, heck I've built RAF aircraft and even one USAAF bird in a moment of weakness. Actually, I also have a Spanish build in mind too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch K said:

That Bristol Hippocampus - the world's only horizontal radial engine!😄

I've built Luftwaffe aircraft before and I probably will again, heck I've built RAF aircraft and even one USAAF bird in a moment of weakness. Actually, I also have a Spanish build in mind too!

Radial and horizontal does not bother me: who decided that a radial engine has to be looked at from the front? Why not from the top? or the bottom for that matter?

You built a USAAF model?! Were you out of your mind? Unless of course it was something slightly exotic? The Budd Conestoga comes to mind, and would be just down your street!!! Of course it would be a USAAF whif!

As long as you can live with yourself, that 's fine!

JR

• Like 1

I built some P-51D's, mainly because they were birds that flew from the airfields close to where I was born. I lost the will with them because I simply cannot get on with the Airfix P-51: I've started three and finished one. The rest have languished because I found getting the fuselage to close up was worse than most of the short-run kits I've wrestled with.

9 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

I built some P-51D's, mainly because they were birds that flew from the airfields close to where I was born. I lost the will with them because I simply cannot get on with the Airfix P-51: I've started three and finished one. The rest have languished because I found getting the fuselage to close up was worse than most of the short-run kits I've wrestled with.

Mitch, that's because you read instructions in serbo-croatian fluently, and struggle with papers written in Airfixese...

JR

• Haha 3

These shots show the joint lines after assembly. You'll know I'm not the luckiest/most skillful in getting joints to close up, but it took a huge amount of trimming and fettling to get to this stage.

These where the inner and out wing panels join were the worst. I masked either side and used white milliput to fill them, then smoothed it all out to reduce the amount of sanding.

42943164371_bf4864cd3b_k_d.jpg

I did the upper wing/wing root joins with kneadtite green. You can get a really smooth finish with no sanding (in fact the stuff won't sand), but it shrinks a bit and isn't really amenable to building up in layers, so I find it really only works on narrow gaps like this. However, it does allow you to really preserve surface details.

42224024604_88cb9fe9d9_k_d.jpg

The tailcone took a LOT of fitting, and any resemblance between the original form of the slots in it and what was needed is pure coincidence.

42943161351_5ce3fb1e59_k_d.jpg

Following a few goes over with standard Squadron green putty everywhere else, I installed the fuselage windows (except the small round porthole which has gone the way of the wind and will need doing with Clearfix or something). I also installed and fitted wingtip navigation lights. After this I gave her a good scrub up and masked the lights and windows, ready for a coat of primer. This isn't a "full" prime as such, but more a case of seeing if any more filler will be needed. At that point I'll fit the rest of glazing.

29069937518_c7aa72e73b_k_d.jpg

• Like 4

Well worth the effort with the fettling and filling, she is beginning to look every bit the original aeroplane was.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

She's a beautiful aeroplane, Martian. Personally I think the Hungarian version with the radial engine is even better-looking - the BMW engine cowling is a bit lumpy for the rest of her lines. Might start with some paint soon!

Hi Mitch,

she really is a beauty! Funny, but I like the typical Heinkel nose with the in line engine.

Whatever, this is a great build.

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the underside in RLM 65, with the wheel wells in RLM 02.  I think the seam where the outer panel butts up needs a little more work.

29330079028_a7729b1da1_k_d.jpg

The RLM 71 went down nicely so I've masked up for the RLM 70.

42297423325_84339904e7_k_d.jpg

• Like 7

After adding the RLM 70 and stripping off the masks, she got a coat of Klear, and is now ready for decals.

Revell don't supply tail swastikas, but my Xtradecals "Any size you like" sheet will provide.

43328392651_6a4e4711e5_k_d.jpg

• Like 4